Easter Candy

Options
My mother always spoiled me with candy during easter time. (I'm an only child with a single mother) Or during any holiday so naturally she wants to buy me lots of candy this Easter too. I've told her multiple times to not buy me candy but she just doesn't want to listen. She's been supportive about my diet (kinda) She's just really nice and generous with stuff so it makes it hard to deny stuff she buys me when its a surprise. Or she buys something that she thinks is healthy but has lots of sugar/calories. Candy is a major problem for me. I can't eat in moderations no matter what. I'd eat it all in one-two days so I don't know what to do. My diet has been good and whenever I get carried away with candy I feel so guilty and awful. Do I throw out the candy? Just try really hard to eat in moderations?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Give it away or throw it away.

If you have a problem with candy, trying to "eat it in moderation" isn't going to work. You're better off not eating candy altogether. If you can cut way down on heavy sugar (candy, desserts, double sugar in the coffee, etc.) your cravings for sugar will eventually dissipate. Consuming large amounts of sugar causes your body to crave more sugar. Break that cycle and you on the right path.

Have an honest conversation with your mother. Tell her that you appreciate the gifts, but let her know that you are making a lifestyle change that calls for healthy dietary choices.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Throw it away and do not feel guilty. If you know you are going to eat it and she's going to buy it regardless, say thank you and when she leaves throw it away.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    If you still live with your mom, tell her you love her but... you cannot eat the candy and see if you can give it to work people (hers or yours). If there are neighbor kids or bigger families - give to them. If not, just throw out - not in front of her but do it!! I have to put in garbage disposal as I have been know to pull out wrapped things from trash. She will get the message not only for Easter but the rest of the time!!!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Think of a few little things that you would like or need and give her the ideas and say I would appreciate one of these instead of candy.

My 14 year old daughter is getting a book, 2 pairs of TNA sockettes and a small Lindt dark chocolate bunny.

Honesty is the best policy and asking your mom to help you by not buying candy isn't a bad thing.

All the best.

Karen
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would offer alternate suggestions....I've tried to do healthier things for my kids in the past (now teenagers) rather than load them up on candy. I've made gardening baskets filled with gardening tools, flower seeds etc that they could plant, I've done a book basket, movie with popcorn...just suggest some other things you would enjoy and skip the candy-if she doesn't listen then use your will power and go right to the trash basket or donate it to a church...
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    My mother always spoiled me with candy during easter time. (I'm an only child with a single mother) Or during any holiday so naturally she wants to buy me lots of candy this Easter too. I've told her multiple times to not buy me candy but she just doesn't want to listen. She's been supportive about my diet (kinda) She's just really nice and generous with stuff so it makes it hard to deny stuff she buys me when its a surprise. Or she buys something that she thinks is healthy but has lots of sugar/calories. Candy is a major problem for me. I can't eat in moderations no matter what. I'd eat it all in one-two days so I don't know what to do. My diet has been good and whenever I get carried away with candy I feel so guilty and awful. Do I throw out the candy? Just try really hard to eat in moderations?
    Take it to work/school whatever and set it in the breakroom, or on your desk , out of arms reach ,
    if its anything like my work it will be gone in an hour...

By the way i am right there with everyone else, i have never believed its all about the candy, we do lots of boiled eggs, lots of plastic hiding eggs, we plan on going to the state park saturday , and the zoo sunday after the egg hunt, start new traditions,

hey mom, lets have an easter walk around the block , or if youre up north , lets go to the mall and look at all the neat spring decor, or the garden store... etc ...
    as for my brood ( i have 2 3yo, 7 yo 12 yo 19 yo 20 yo 23 yo ) and me and my husband, the kids got a sandbox which they got early, and the easter baskets are sand pails, i get a few "good" candies, In a way im dissapointed i cannot find black jelly beans , and on the other hand , i am happy, thats my only favorite easter candy, :D
    SO- the kids are getting sand pails, jump ropes, the twins are getting baby fishing poles, teddy bunnys and chalk, the older girls are getting new jump ropes, and a new set of wrist guards for the roller blades the 3 eldest are getting hand weights for working out
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OMG I hate when there is any type of hilday at work because it seems that everyone resorts to bringing in candy! I try to bring in as many fruits as possible and just burry myself in work so im not just wondering around the office looking for a reason to eat candy.