Carbs

Options
Good afternoon! I have been trying to figure out how many carbs one should eat in order to lose weight, but I keep reading mixed opinions. For a 1200 calorie diet, about how many carbs should one be eating in order to lose weight? Maintain?

Replies

• sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the least important to worry about. Meet your calorie goal as consistently as possible, as well as fat (0.3-0.5g per lb of body weight) and protein (0.8-1.0g per lb of lean body mass), and let the carbs fill in the rest.

And unless you plan on laying in bed all day, every day, 1200 calories is quite a restrictive plan for weight loss. It is very difficult to get enough nutrients, and it is rather unsustainable for most people in the long-term.

ETA: After reading your profile, at 19 years old and with plans to only lose 6 lbs, I hope you re-consider your calorie goal.
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your concern. I have, however spoken to my dr. and she has approved a 1,200 calorie diet until I reach my starting weight. Then obviously I will increase my calories to maintain. While I do not lay in bed all day, I only exercise 2-3 days a week for 30-40 minutes on the treadmill. I do however know that carbs do play an important role in weight loss, so I was just curious.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    According to marksdailyapple.com, less than 100 g. Thats a little under 10% of your calories if you eat at 1200. Maintenance range is 100-150 g. The gram ranges don't change based on your calories. Some people like to use percentages of total calories though. High fat, moderate protein for everything else. Hope that helps!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    According to marksdailyapple.com, less than 100 g. Thats a little under 10% of your calories if you eat at 1200. Maintenance range is 100-150 g. The gram ranges don't change based on your calories. Some people like to use percentages of total calories though. High fat, moderate protein for everything else. Hope that helps!

That's not under 10% of calories if she eats 1200. 100 grams of carbohydrates = 400 calories. That would be 33% of her calories.

Also, amount of carbohydrates eaten does NOT affect FAT LOSS. Weight lost by cutting carbohydrates is water weight loss from depleted glycogen stores. You need a calorie deficit for fat loss.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your concern. I have, however spoken to my dr. and she has approved a 1,200 calorie diet until I reach my starting weight. Then obviously I will increase my calories to maintain. While I do not lay in bed all day, I only exercise 2-3 days a week for 30-40 minutes on the treadmill. I do however know that carbs do play an important role in weight loss, so I was just curious.

that's awesome that you like your dr... but...

have they calculated your BMR? Since they're all super-smart.. they might want to do that. I seriously doubt (I'm willing to bet my harley on it) that your BMR is under 1200 calories.

that said, if you're working out 3 times a day, do yourself a favor and calculate it yourself. Figure out what YOU need to eat. Not what a doctor may approve.

also, don't get hung up on carbs. calorie deficit is where you're going to lose weight.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options

That's not under 10% of calories if she eats 1200. 100 grams of carbohydrates = 400 calories. That would be 33% of her calories.

Also, amount of carbohydrates eaten does NOT affect FAT LOSS. Weight lost by cutting carbohydrates is water weight loss from depleted glycogen stores. You need a calorie deficit for fat loss.

^^^^This^^^^^
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I love crabs I can totally destroy a steampot
    3709231812_4dc50d501c.jpg
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you want me to help you find your BMR/TDEE and explain it to you, friend me and PM me. I will explain it so you will understand what people are talking about.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just get off the treadmill and lift some weights now and then, or get on the floor and do some pushups. You probably won't even need to diet then, and you'll look better to boot!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Carbs play a role with people who have insulin related issues.

Doctors aren't dieticians, so don't put too much weight on what your doctor says. Lets just go along with your docotor, he/she said 1,2000 calories, which mentions nothing about carbs.
    Dieticians aren't the be-all/end-all either. They're required to promote a diet based on the USDA guidelines (similar agencies in other countries), and the USDA is a grain-marketing government agency... This is why dieticians say things like "your body needs carbohydrate! Your brain can only run on carbohydrate!" which are both untrue (yet they are still taught this). Anyone that's studied biochemistry can tell you there is no dietary requirement in humans for carbohydrate.

BTW I'm a diabetic and a registered dietician told me I should eat 300g of carbohydrate a day. Seriously. I challenged her (I'm a medical researcher) and it turns out she KNEW everything I told her, but was required by her governing board to recommend a diet that would cause me to be on medication for life, and have my condition deteriorate continually.

Ever wonder why 90% of diagnosed diabetics fail at controlling the disease? It's because of dietary recommendations that are NOT based in science.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Carbs play a role with people who have insulin related issues.

Doctors aren't dieticians, so don't put too much weight on what your doctor says. Lets just go along with your docotor, he/she said 1,2000 calories, which mentions nothing about carbs.
    Dieticians aren't the be-all/end-all either. They're required to promote a diet based on the USDA guidelines (similar agencies in other countries), and the USDA is a grain-marketing government agency... This is why dieticians say things like "your body needs carbohydrate! Your brain can only run on carbohydrate!" which are both untrue (yet they are still taught this). Anyone that's studied biochemistry can tell you there is no dietary requirement in humans for carbohydrate.

BTW I'm a diabetic and a registered dietician told me I should eat 300g of carbohydrate a day. Seriously. I challenged her (I'm a medical researcher) and it turns out she KNEW everything I told her, but was required by her governing board to recommend a diet that would cause me to be on medication for life, and have my condition deteriorate continually.

Ever wonder why 90% of diagnosed diabetics fail at controlling the disease? It's because of dietary recommendations that are NOT based in science.

Sounds very conspiracy theorist to me. So nobody should go be a dietician because they are controlled by the USDA to keep people sick?
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Sounds very conspiracy theorist to me. So nobody should go be a dietician because they are controlled by the USDA to keep people sick?
    Dieticians have their place. Diabetes management isn't one of them. They are also being taught things that aren't true. But then again, so are doctors. (Medical schools still teach the lipid hypothesis as gospel when after several decades and billions of dollars in research, the hypothesis has never been proven - and most studies actually disprove it... just one quick example.)

And yes, it DOES sound very conspiracy theorist. But amazingly, it's all true. Heck, people advocating low-carb diets to help control their diabetes have been sued by dietetic regulatory boards trying to shut them up. It's all information that's readily available.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Oops. Thought that 10% was too low. Forgot to convert the grams to calories.

As for the other, yes you will lose water when you deplete your glycogen stores and yes you still need a calorie deficit. First, water takes up space too so I don't know why everyone is so dismissive about it. Second, I find it MUCH EASIER to lose weight when I cut carbs. I've lost 48 lbs that way. Can't have all been water. I also stopped dieting from August to January. Did fine maintaining within five pounds (mostly from the holidays). I'm only back on now because I stopped before hitting my goal before. I'm at my original goal but I want to lose a tad bit more (4 lbs, my ticker isnt updated).

I'm not saying that you don't need a calorie deficit, only that low carb works for many people for whom calorie counting isn't enough. Neither am I saying that you can go low carb and then resume eating 300+ without the expectation of weight gain. With that, I'll bow out of what will probably end up being a debate.
  • albertabeefy
    Options

I am majoring in biochemistry actually. I am surprised a dietician would tell you that. Are you sure it wasn't a nutritionist?
    Nope, not a nutritionist, a Registered Dietician. Just a quick FYI the 300g of carbohydrate she recommended was approximately 1/3rd of my daily caloric intake at the time. (I can actually lose weight eating over 3,000 calories a day.)

But it's still far-too much carbohydrate for someone with as severe diabetes as I have. (I was originally diagnosed Type II but further testing shows my beta-cell function is almost completely gone, so I create very little insulin.)

When I mentioned that 300g of carbohydrate would require I be on injected insulin, her response was "well then, you'll need insulin. It's not uncommon in diabetics."

In Canada dieticians are required to dispense the dietary advice given by the Canadian Diabetes Association, which basically mirrors the American Diabetes Association. Yet it's well-known that neither of those diabetes organizations have recommendations for dietary or glycemic targets that are effective in controlling diabetes.

Both the ADA and CDA have recommendations that are contrary to the International Diabetes Federation. Both have recommendations contrary to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Both also receive 90% of their funding from pharmaceutical companies and food companies such as Coca-Cola, Cadbury/Schweppes and others...

... and there I go sounding like a conspiracy theorist again, but it's ALL accurate public information that's easily confirmed folks.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
  • taylorxpaige
    Options
    My BMR is about 50 calories over 1200. I am regretting making this post. I posted in order to get your guys opinion on a matter, not to be attacked for not eating enough. My dr is a physician, not a dietician. Thank you to everyone for including your opinion. I appreciate it.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    My BMR is about 50 calories over 1200. I am regretting making this post. I posted in order to get your guys opinion on a matter, not to be attacked for not eating enough. My dr is a physician, not a dietician. Thank you to everyone for including your opinion. I appreciate it.
    How much carbohydrate you NEED will depend on YOUR metabolism. For me (as a diabetic) it's less than for most people.

The "general" rule of thumb for many people is 30% of your calories from protein, 30% from fat and 40% from carbohydrate. This is roughly 120g of carbohydrate on a 1200 calorie/day diet. This may need to be tweaked for you if it's not working in terms of weight-loss and/or desired body composition. Many obese individuals find reducing carbohydrate substantially improves weight-loss.

Just an fyi, your doctor has very limited nutritional/dietetic training. In my medical school we had fewer than 20 hours total training in the subject of nutrition. This is why doctors will, as a matter of protocol, refer diabetics to see dieticians.
  • taylorxpaige
    Options
    How much carbohydrate you NEED will depend on YOUR metabolism. For me (as a diabetic) it's less than for most people.

The "general" rule of thumb for many people is 30% of your calories from protein, 30% from fat and 40% from carbohydrate. This is roughly 120g of carbohydrate on a 1200 calorie/day diet. This may need to be tweaked for you if it's not working in terms of weight-loss and/or desired body composition. Many obese individuals find reducing carbohydrate substantially improves weight-loss.

Just an fyi, your doctor has very limited nutritional/dietetic training. In my medical school we had fewer than 20 hours total training in the subject of nutrition. This is why doctors will, as a matter of protocol, refer diabetics to see dieticians.

Thank you! I am not diabetic though.