Salad Slump? Stop here!

Options
krv124
krv124 Posts: 22 Member
I love my salads and loading them up with veggies, but I tend to get in a salad slump.

This week I'm going for a new one chop salad: zucchini, carrots, cucumber, tomato, onion, peppers - all cubed the same time and done right after grocery shopping - over romaine with a lite pesto dressing.

What is your favorite go-to salad? Please share to inspire any fellow salad slumpers out there.

:)

Replies

• Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Cucumber salad is my favorite dressed with red onions, and topped with a rice vinegar and honey solution.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm..... :)

My usual salad is romaine/spinach mix with tomato, cucumber, onion. squash, chicken or tuna and some lemon juice. But that is just because that is what I usually have available. :)

One of my favorites -- spinach, strawberries, craisins, red onion, light raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Add chicken to make a meal. Add sunflower seeds, feta cheese and/or mandarin oranges to bump up the calories. Yum!

I like taco salad too (even without the meat) -- romaine, tomato, onion, avocado, black beans, sometimes cheese, light sour cream and salsa. Crumble a few homemade tortilla chips on top for crunch. :)
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    Tonight I am having boiled shrimp salad. Onions, tomato, pickle and one boiled egg white, fat free cheese and fat free ranch dressing, broccoli and baby carrots...Oh man is it good!!
  • MsWard
    MsWard Posts: 7
    Options
    That sounds so good!!
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Raw corn, arugula, cherry tomatoes, diced avocado and Italian parsley.
    Splash with fresh squeezed lemon juice and bit of good sea salt. (the real stuff!)
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love salads! Here is my fave:

Baby Spring Mix
    Red Onion
    Pecans (sometimes I pan toast them with cinnamon and brown sugar)
    strawberries
    mandarin oranges
    Organic rasberry vinaigrette

Sometimes I add chicken, blueberries, and/or avocado
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    My favorite salad is kind of boring, but I love it anyway. Lots of lettuce, a few cherry tomatoes, green onions, cukes, bacos, croutons, and Catalina Light Dressing. Sometimes I cut up an 80 calorie string cheese and add it. I fill my plate full and eat the whole thing. (I'm careful with the bacos, croutons and dressing. :bigsmile:
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a simple yet yummy salad:

1 PC Blue Menu Easy-Grill Chicken Breast (110 calories!!)
    shredded romaine lettuce
    green pepper
    cucumber
    cherry tomatoes
    mushrooms
    Creamy garlic yogurt salad dressing

Yummers! I love the idea of adding squash.
  • krv124
    krv124 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yummy! What is the garlic yogurt dressing? SOunds so good!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is kind of boring, but I love it anyway. Lots of lettuce, a few cherry tomatoes, green onions, cukes, bacos, croutons, and Catalina Light Dressing. Sometimes I cut up an 80 calorie string cheese and add it. I fill my plate full and eat the whole thing. (I'm careful with the bacos, croutons and dressing. :bigsmile:

That's not boring compared to mine. I take any kind of lettuce...romaine and leafy lettuces are my fave...and top with my own homemade Pico de Gallo. Nothing else. lol But, I love it and it beats the calories and sodium that dressings have. :)
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    For a spin on salads try filling whole romaine lettuce leaves with your favorite stuff. Just roll it up and eat it like a sandwich, so good. I have about 5 recipes Ive made up of fillings for these...
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    leaf lettuce
    mandarin oranges
    red onion
    sliced almonds

I make a dressing of a bit of oil/balsamic vinegar/some sweetener

My favorite salad that I don't have often due to calories is:
    baby spinach
    bacon
    red onion
    cheese
    Dressing made of red wine vinegar heated with some sugar and then light miracle whip added into it. So good.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    wacky but amazing salad I had today:

2 cups watermelon
    1 oz goat cheese
    about two tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
    juice of one wedge of lime

So good, and perfect after a hot workout.
  • bonnieclarke
    Options
    Lettuce mix w/mild salsa mixed w/black beans and corn(rinsed to remove sodium), chopped celery, 1 oz. serving of lower fat tortilla chips crushed, Ken's healthy options caesar dressing....yumm
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I never thought about putting low-fat pesto on a salad - thanks! I buy a tiny jar but since I only eat pasta about once every 2 months I often have to toss it b/c it goes bad.