Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Spiking insulin but under calorie limit...?

So it being easter and all it got me and my friends thinking why is insulin response such a big concern even to people that wouldnt have diabetics? ...i dont understand it, i mean surely if you are eating within your calorie limit you're not going to still be storing fat all the time....

Since coming on this site i've learned so much about healthy eating and i'm glad it has thought me not to see this as a diet but a way of life however, on days i would have a treat I find myself worrying about things i wouldnt have previous, like yesterday for example i had a sandwich and a mini crunchie as a snack not long after as my friend had opened her easter egg.....is insulin spikes such as that bad for you?....how do you control this? ...advice appreciated..

Replies

• Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    insulin spikes do not make you fat. Over eating will however.

Here is a very good break down of insulin and its function in the body.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member

As a diabetic and a medical researcher I can confirm what this users states. Excess insulin during a caloric deficit does NOT make you fat.

However... excess insulin - even without a diagnosis of diabetes - often indicates insulin-resistance, and is strongly correlated to both metabolic syndrome and diabetes, and may be an indication that the individual is eating too many carbohydrates for their metabolism to properly process. (Normal insulin levels indicate no such issue, obviously.)

Diabetes diagnoses often take YEARS after the process of metabolic syndrome starts. If you or anyone you know has high serum insulin levels, it may be time to eliminate refined carbohydrate from the diet and reduce starch intake. The best sources of carbohydrate for individuals with this condition (both for nutrient value and glycemic control) are non-starchy vegetables.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Spiking insulin can also lead to diving insulin which can trigger hunger signals. If you can eat in a way that avoids those, you will del more satiated, which makes it easier to stay within your calorie goals without feeling like a martyr.

Plus, eating to avoid insulin spikes can help reverse metabolic syndrome/ insulin resistance/ pre diabetes/ whatever we are calling it these days.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    people also dont realize that insulin is also highly anabolic and deemed the most anabolic of all hormones out there. So if you are weight training and trying to build muscle it helps to keep carbs in your diet for this reason.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Spiking insulin can also lead to diving insulin which can trigger hunger signals. If you can eat in a way that avoids those, you will del more satiated, which makes it easier to stay within your calorie goals without feeling like a martyr.

This. It's not so much a fear of the spike itself - it's the large potential for overeating that follows.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    How the hell do you know if your insulin levels are spiking?

Stop worrying about "insulin levels" and worry about your long-term glucose levels, like from an a1c.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member

As a diabetic and a medical researcher I can confirm what this users states. Excess insulin during a caloric deficit does NOT make you fat.

However... excess insulin - even without a diagnosis of diabetes - often indicates insulin-resistance, and is strongly correlated to both metabolic syndrome and diabetes, and may be an indication that the individual is eating too many carbohydrates for their metabolism to properly process. (Normal insulin levels indicate no such issue, obviously.)

Diabetes diagnoses often take YEARS after the process of metabolic syndrome starts. If you or anyone you know has high serum insulin levels, it may be time to eliminate refined carbohydrate from the diet and reduce starch intake. The best sources of carbohydrate for individuals with this condition (both for nutrient value and glycemic control) are non-starchy vegetables.

I concur.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Thanks very much everyone for the replies very helpful I was just interested what others thoughts were on this because I was discussing it with my friend and she was like can't eat much chocolate over easter because of the insulin spike and all that goes with that, guess if you have a balanced diet and don't overeat you should be ok. very interesting article up there i'll have a read of that. :)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Thanks very much everyone for the replies very helpful I was just interested what others thoughts were on this because I was discussing it with my friend and she was like can't eat much chocolate over easter because of the insulin spike and all that goes with that, guess if you have a balanced diet and don't overeat you should be ok. very interesting article up there i'll have a read of that. :)
    Well, too MUCH sugar from processed chocolate, for example, isn't great for you from a nutrition standpoint...

There are many that believe in eating according to IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) but even they must admit there's a nutritional difference between 50g of carbohydrate in Easter chocolate and 50g of carbohydrate in broccoli, kale and spinach . . .

Dark Chocolate (especially 70% or higher cocoa) is much lower in refined sugars, and if your WORRIED about an insulin-response will cause much less of a spike... I don't believe anyone should deprive themselves of the food they love...

Even as a diabetic I eat chocolate - I just eat dark chocolate sweetened with stevia instead of sugar.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

^ Listen to Phrak please.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Yes, this exactly. Worrying about spiking insulin from Easter candy isn't a big issue because Easter is only one day a year. Spiking insulin from eating too much sugar on a regular basis can lead to problems. This where moderation comes in.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Well, too MUCH sugar from processed chocolate, for example, isn't great for you from a nutrition standpoint...

There are many that believe in eating according to IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) but even they must admit there's a nutritional difference between 50g of carbohydrate in Easter chocolate and 50g of carbohydrate in broccoli, kale and spinach . . .

Dark Chocolate (especially 70% or higher cocoa) is much lower in refined sugars, and if your WORRIED about an insulin-response will cause much less of a spike... I don't believe anyone should deprive themselves of the food they love...

Even as a diabetic I eat chocolate - I just eat dark chocolate sweetened with stevia instead of sugar.

actually enjoy dark chocolate myself so that is a good alternative :)..and a get what you mean there is a big difference between 50g of carbs in easter chocolate and veg itself and the effects it has on you after eating, cheers everyone for the extra advice glad to get a bit of knowledge on this situation. :)
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member

^ Listen to Phrak please.

Of course. You referenced this very link at an earlier time!
    Please take a look at the following article on insulin. Read it, and then read it again. It's fantastic:
    http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Insulin, Low Carbs, Gary Taubes, and James Krieger
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817143-insulin-low-carbs-gary-taubes-and-james-krieger

But yes, overeating is what will make you fat.

"It is a common belief that a slim people have a "high metabolism" while overweight/obese people have a "low metabolism". This is very rarely the case. ... The weight gain is mainly due to an energy imbalance."

What Is Metabolism? How Do Anabolism And Catabolism Affect Body Weight?
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/8871.php
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member

good link !