Is it worth it when you aren't losing weight?

Options

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Have you tried increasing your calories? Sometimes you need to eat MORE, as funny as that sounds to some people. I was doing the whole 1,200 calorie thing, but found the weight came off easier at 1,500 PLUS eating back some of my exercise calories. Your body may be different, but I know that works for some of us :)

Also, as many have said, muscle is denser than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound is a pound, but sometimes you lose fat and gain muscle and the scale doesn't budge. Don't get discouraged.

Also (again, hehe), try skipping Insanity for a day or two and go do something else. Your body has the ability to adapt to your workout routine, so switching it up to throw it off track might also help.

Just a couple suggestions. No two bodies are the same, and what works for some won't work for others. These things work for me.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I took "before" pictures when I started Insanity and I didn't take measurements. I'm kicking myself for not doing that!! My body has definately changed, but my weight has not really dropped. I can see that I do not have love handles anymore and I know my clothes fit better. So don't fret if you don't lose any weight the first month. BUT make sure you are using a food scale and accurately calculating your calorie intake. Don't waste all of your hardwork..make sure you weigh your food!

I started month 2 this week and dropped a lb. So yes, it's nice to see the scale go down, but it's also nice when you see that you body is getting smaller. So again, make sure you take your measurements!
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Is your body changing? Measurements? Looser fitting clothes?
    If YES, then the scale doesn't matter.
    This! I have the same problem... I haven't gained, but only lost 2 lbs, but I can clearly see that my midsection is slimmer and my bra doesn't fit as tightly... pants looser too... that's what matters! Keep kickin' it!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the same boat. I also use Fitbit and it calculates that I should be loosing 2.5lb per week and I have stayed the same now for 4 weeks. I am up at 6.30 am doing Jillian Michaels and keep myself active all day. I weigh all food and count every calorie. What else can it be? it is disappointing when I weigh in on a Saturday but I am always excited and hopeful again on Friday as I have tried hard and done well all week!

I just went to a support group and they talked about this same thing. EVERYONE's body's react differently to changes in eating and exercise. Some people have steady drops, some have fast, some people hit a plateau while their body adjusts to the changes and then starts dropping again. Women are especially prone to plateaus.

If you don't understand that it will happen and you need to just keep working at it, you will never succeed because that is the fundamental rule of weightloss/healthy living - EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!!!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It is most certainly worth it. I haven't lost any scale weight in months...at least nothing significant but my clothes are looser and I can visibly see the difference. Also, losing at such a slow or stagnant pace has made this less of a diet and more of a lifestyle change. If I lost it all at once I would have never learned how to incorporate everything that I am learning into my new lifestyle. Instead I would have lost the weight...gone back to the way things were (for the most part) and probably would have gained it all back plus some.

For me, at first it was all a mental thing. Why keep working out and counting calories, etc. if I am not benefiting from it? Why go to all this work for nothing...the scale isn't moving so this isn't working? It made me resilient. Whether I lose weight/inches or not I know that what I am doing IS benefiting me and I'm not going back to my old ways because THIS is my life now no matter what happens on the scale.

So for me not losing and even gaining is actually a godsend! It has saved me from having to do this all over again in the future! Good luck and stick with it. Trust me, it is SO worth it!

THIS. We could be twins.
  • kristinrayerootes
    kristinrayerootes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everybody. Yes, deep down, I know that it is worth it. Sometimes I totally feel like I am "fit fat" if that makes sense. In other words, a stranger might think that I couldn't do things physically, but I could probably kick a lot of people's butts. :)

I do have MFP calculate my excercise calories, but simply because I want to see the total for the day. I have done the "In Place of a Road Map" calculations along with the Insanity Nutrition Guide calculations. Both put me in the ball park of 1900-2200. I am aiming for around 2000 every day and/or an intake of 500 under what I burn.

I do have a scale that calculates my body fat percent. That also went up .2% this week. I weigh in first thing Friday mornings. I have read the scale calculates more accurately at the end of the day, but I am afraid to get on and see my weight increase, even though I know that body fat percent is more important. I feel like I have extra water weight in the morning, so I know that could throw off the body fat percent calcuation.

I opened up my diary to public. One thing you might notice is that sodium is not my friend. I seem to run in to it every where I turn. I plan on focusing on lower that this coming week and hope that will help a lot. I will continue to push through, even when I want to break down!
  • if all you want to gain from exercising and eating healthy is to lose weight.. then the answer to your question would be NO... but if what you are seeking is a change in lifestyle and habits the answer is absolutely, with no doubt YES... it takes time, for some more than others... measure, check how the clothes is fitting and forget about the numbers on the scale - there is where you will find your success and def. determine how the new found healthy lifestyle makes you feel rather than concentrate so much look...
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking calories correctly and your deficit isn't too high or too low, don't worry. The best thing I ever did was stop obsessing over the scale. I used to feel panicked before weigh-ins and that is what I used to determine my success. But when I got to the second week and my loss was only 1lb and then it began to fluctuate I couldn't take it anymore. It literally made me depressed. I did a weigh-in once and completely lost my focus because of the results. I didn't even stay to workout, I left and bought candy and felt sorry for myself.

Now, I weigh-in when I feel like it- just out of curiosity. I have noticed significant changes in my body and my clothes are very loose. I am much happier now and more motivated.

Take pictures and measurements. Think about this: Would you rather the scale move and you not notice a change, or would you rather it not move and be able to see the changes?

My thought process before would have allowed me to feel encouraged seeing the scale go down despite not seeing noticeable results. Now, I'd rather see changes on my body than on a scale.

Good luck and stay encouraged.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    If you have the need to actually ask people 'Is it worth it?' then something's off.
    See, I've done Insanity and I wouldn't do it ever again. I know there are many who like the program but I felt like crap most of the time. I couldn't sleep well, think well, live well and I consumed something around 2500-3000cal per day. I kept losing pounds and yet I was very unhappy.
    This is from someone who LOVES to be active. I don't regret having done Insanity but I would never try it again any time soon.
  • editorkim
    editorkim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes! I did the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred last summer, and I was so discouraged because I had gained 5 pounds at the end of the 30 days. But then I got out my tape measure and found that I'd lost 4 inches off my waist, two inches off my hips, an inch and a half off each thigh and a half inch off my biceps. Then I went to my closet and got the jeans that had prompted me to start this journey in the first place (can you say MUFFIN TOP?) and found that they fit comfortably again. I still had a little muffin top, but they were no longer practically cutting into me like they had when I was 5 pounds lighter and 4 inches fatter. So hang in there. Just because the scale doesn't move does not mean you are not making progress. It will catch up. Promise!!! Good luck in your journey. :)
  • editorkim
    editorkim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One other thing is, I got so discouraged last year because I was struggling to make my goals, struggling every single day, when I had my desired weight loss set to 2 pounds a week. I almost quite because i was so hungry. instead, I adjusted it to 1 pound a week and was surprised at how much more this allowed me to eat, just enough more to not be hungry all the time. And I am actually losing more weight at the higher count than I was at the lower. So you might consider adjusting your desired loss to help make every day less of a struggle. It worked for me. And now I've found that my appetite has adjusted to the reduced intake and I can actually make the original goal these days pretty easily, but I haven't adjusted my settings again because I would rather see a bigger deficit overall than I would if I lowered my daily limits. It helps keep me motivated. Again, good luck!!!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I do feel good. The workouts are becoming easier, do obviously something good is happening. I haven't taken measurements, but I know I need to. I just get busy and forget. Maybe I should set a reminder on my phone. I have heard of people not having results from Insanity, but it seems that is a vast minority of people. I am 5'8" and weighing in at 186 right now, so I definitely have the fat to give up. And....onmygod45 I also use Fitbit and am coming in with what its calorie goal for the day is too. It is just frustrating when you are doing everything you know you should and not seeing that darn scale budge! I wasn't even going to weigh in this week and maybe I shouldn't have. Who knows, I am not going to count my calories on Sunday this week and maybe that will help me get a good drop! Thanks for all the supportive feedback!

I heard it all drops off in the second month. I haven't done it though so I can't be sure.
    Also, you NEED to be checking your measurements because you could be gaining muscle which would explain why you don't notice a difference on the scales.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I looked at your cal counts and exercise diary. Is it possible you're overestimating cals burned? What kind of circuit training do you do that burns 700 cals in 40 minutes? I mean it's possible I guess but it seems a bit high for 40 minutes. Also you might try lowering cals a bit. By 100-200 and see what happens.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    I looked at your cal counts and exercise diary. Is it possible you're overestimating cals burned? What kind of circuit training do you do that burns 700 cals in 40 minutes? I mean it's possible I guess but it seems a bit high for 40 minutes. Also you might try lowering cals a bit. By 100-200 and see what happens.

This is an excellent point. And this is why I don't even include things in my exercise diary anymore because I question the accuracy. For instance, I used to add the 100 calories I would burn walking every day. These are calories I burned walking to work, walking from the gym. It usually added to about 45 mins throughout the day. I just don't include that anymore. I also don't include circuit training in my diary either. Its helped me mentally because I don't worry about overestimating calories, thus causing me to eat more (not that I have a problem with eating too much).
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

This is an excellent point. And this is why I don't even include things in my exercise diary anymore because I question the accuracy. For instance, I used to add the 100 calories I would burn walking every day. These are calories I burned walking to work, walking from the gym. It usually added to about 45 mins throughout the day. I just don't include that anymore. I also don't include circuit training in my diary either. Its helped me mentally because I don't worry about overestimating calories, thus causing me to eat more (not that I have a problem with eating too much).

Yeah, I did my latest roudn of calculations with a higher activity level.

I still put exercise into my diary because I want to record minutes, but my mental goal is based on an activity level that includes my exercise now, and I don't eat back exercise. It means I have to ignore the "Calories remaining" message on MFP and just look at what I've actually consumed, but that's not all that hard.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

If it's part of my every day life, it doesn't go in my diary. I often walk 0.7 miles (or ~15 minutes) to the bus. Do I count it? Nope. It's part of what I have to do to get to where I need to go. To me, it's like someone walking to their car in the parking lot. I don't even count my mile walk to work on days where I'm teaching, or my mile walk to the grocery store. I do, however, count my 1.6 mile walk to the gym, and the subsequent 1.6 mile walk home, but mostly because it's part of my exercise.
  • kristinrayerootes
    kristinrayerootes Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I am doing Insanity and using the calculator on Everday Health to determine how many calories I am burning. Today, I actually did lower what it gave me and it was still over 700.
  • Terpnista84
    Options

If it's part of my every day life, it doesn't go in my diary. I often walk 0.7 miles (or ~15 minutes) to the bus. Do I count it? Nope. It's part of what I have to do to get to where I need to go. To me, it's like someone walking to their car in the parking lot. I don't even count my mile walk to work on days where I'm teaching, or my mile walk to the grocery store. I do, however, count my 1.6 mile walk to the gym, and the subsequent 1.6 mile walk home, but mostly because it's part of my exercise.
    Agreed! And I was told not to include activities you do on a daily basis. I'm glad I stopped. Now I just track cardio from exercises at the gym (or if I run using endomondo). I don't record any of my strengthening exercises.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I browsed around your diary, and I would guess you are at a much smaller deficit than your calculations are telling you. You eat well- real food, variety, etc, but yeah, I would agree that the 1200 calories you burned w/exercise is way off.

I really think just eating a set amount, continuing to do your workouts but not adding the calories to your total might be just the turnaround you need! I'm trying the same thing so I can figure out how many calories I actually need on average, without the complications of all the exercise calories jumping up and down.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It's "My Fitness Pal," not "My Weight Loss Pal."

I know too many people, including myself, who judge the outcomes of a lifestyle change entirely on whether weight is lost. And sure, that's what most people are really motivated by. But the thing is, every study on the subject shows that if you can improve your diet, and keep to an exercise program, you will improve your health regardless of how much weight you lose. Even people who lose nothing at all? Improve their blood sugar levels, improve their cholesterol levels, and they live longer. That's something I've lost sight of, on previous forays into weight loss and exercise plans.

I am telling myself that even if I don't lose as much as I hope to? I'd rather be a strong, active overweight person than a flabby, short of breath overweight person. I'd rather be able to hike up the 600 stairs at the state park and still have a BMI above "average" than be a sedentary slug with barely enough strength to haul my laundry up from the basement. I haven't lost a whole lot so far, and not very fast - but I already feel stronger, more capable, and happier in my own skin.

So yes, its worth it.

This.
    I agree with everything you've said..