I want quantitative proof!

Options
I've been dieting and working out since mid-January and while my clothes are fitting differently, the scale hasn't budged more than 5 lbs.

I want quantitative proof of my hard work! I want that scale to reflect my efforts!

Anyone else experiencing this? How are you dealing with it?

Replies

• Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that if I had the body I wanted, if I was faster and stronger and leaner, I wouldn't care at all if the scale read 200lbs.

Not. One. Bit.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't really tell the whole story. Are you taking your measurements? If your clothes are fitting better, it sounds like you're definitely making some progress. Don't let the number on the scale tell you how you're doing.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Then take your measurements.

If neither the scale or the tape changes, then it is probably time to change your approach.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm dealing with the same. Try taking measurements. That will reflect your body changes much faster than the scale will. Good luck, and keep your spirit up! :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting and working out since mid-January and while my clothes are fitting differently, the scale hasn't budged more than 5 lbs.

I want quantitative proof of my hard work! I want that scale to reflect my efforts!

Anyone else experiencing this? How are you dealing with it?

So, you're losing weight, and, your clothes are fitting better so you're definitely losing inches.

What's the problem here?

What more proof do you need?
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Keep at it ok?

My scale moved quick for the first 86lbs, then I haven't really lost anything since last August.. I gain some, lose it, and do it again.. I hover in what I am calling my 'maintenance zone' BUT!!!!!!!!! I started lighting weights in December and I have went down a shirt size, and I need a belt now with my pants.. sooooo changes still happen even if the scale sucks.

I know it's hard not to see the scale move, TRUST ME, I am a scale NAZI! My friends think I am insane... but I am starting to let go of that. Take your measurements..
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nope, this has never happened to me. If I track all my food, stay near my calorie goal, and get some exercise, I lose weight. Doesn't matter what program I'm doing - counting calories, Weight Watchers, Medifast, Paleo, whatever. I count every single thing, am honest about portion sizes (I weigh and measure 90% of my food), and try to underestimate my calorie burns when I work out.

If the program is not working for you, you may need to pretend like you are starting over, weigh and measure everything, and avoid eating out so you know exactly what is in your food.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Weight is like a watched pot. It won't drop if you weigh all the time. Stop weighing yourself and start working on fat loss and on e day you will step back on the scale and viola! you will have lost another 5.
  • celticempress
    Options
    It happens, for example in November I didn't drop one pound from November until the beginning of January. However, I dropped 4 pant sizes. It happens, it's not a bad thing. Look at the over all goal and that is you are a smaller person whether the scale agrees with it or not. We are 3 dimensional beings, and there is more to us then weight. If the size around us shrinks there is the proof.
  • n0shitsherl0ck
    Options
    everyone is saying use a tape measure - as much as this is useful & should be done - take progress pics too! this helps me since I don't really see a difference on the scale either, I've been stuck at around the same weight for ages now but my clothes were tight before, now they're pretty loose.

Progress pics can show you what you don't tend to notice in the mirror, that there is a physical change in your body!

also, you could be gaining muscle as well as losing fat, muscle gains a lot more than fat thus preventing the scales giving a true representation of fat loss
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    People live and die by the scale.

Do this. Weight yourself every hour. Watch it change throughout the day. That would be quantitative proof that you can't just rely on scale number to gauge success.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Then take your measurements.

If neither the scale or the tape changes, then it is probably time to change your approach.

This. The scale is not, and should not be, the only way you measure your progress. Something else to think about is focusing more on fitness goals. It's another way you can feel good about what you're doing. Say today you can only walk or run a mile comfortably but if you work on it (cross-train, interval train, etc) in time you'll be able to go farther and faster. Keep track of all progress so you can look back and see how far you've come. Or maybe you want to clean up your diet. Same principal. Work on eating more fruits and veggies, trying new recipes, etc.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    why are people so fixated on a number? Be patient.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    How is your clothes not getting loose proof? The number on the scale is nothing more than a measure of the earths gravitational pull on your body. No one sees it so why care? I'd take being two dress sizes smaller over any number on the scale any day!
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Forget what the scale says!

"No one is going wow you look really good! But how much do you weigh?"

XXXlbs

"oh ok nevermind..."

It's how you look! How your clothes fit, how much healthier your heart and lungs are. Not how much a scale says.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Look up haybale's spreadsheet. Then trust it, and you'll have your quantifiable evidence right in front of your face:)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself and go by your measurements. The scale will follow in time.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My scale was up a pound today, but my jeans are starting to fall onto my hips. They were too tight to wear while sitting a couple months ago.

I shrugged at the scale and went about my day. It's more about how I look and feel than what the scale says. When people see me, they see how I look in clothes, not what I weigh. I don't have the number plastered across my chest, so who cares? As long as I'm getting smaller, that's what they'll notice. As long as I feel smaller and healthier, that's all I care about. The scale will catch up in time.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself and go by your measurements. The scale will follow in time.

THIS.
    Measurements are far better proof than what the scale says. If you step on 5 different scales you'll get 5 different weights.
  • MsGoblin
    MsGoblin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm taking everyone's advice and have begun to record my measurements. I also downloaded the spreadsheet that was suggested and will begin to use that.

I'll report back in a couple months.