Sugar Snap Peas Oh My!

Options
Nutritional Information of Sugar Snap Peas

Overview
Along with other beans and peas, sugar snap peas belong to the legume family. Legumes develop inside pods and are typically removed from the pod before consumption. However, both the pod and the pea are usually eaten when consuming sugar snap peas.

Calories
One cup of sugar snap peas supplies 60 calories, 16 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of fiber. Sugar snap peas are fat free and cholesterol free.

Preparation
While many legumes need to be soaked and cooked for long periods of time before consumption, sugar snap peas can be eaten raw or slightly steamed.

Protein
One cup of raw sugar snap peas contains 4 grams of protein. Dipping them in 2 tablespoons of hummus for a healthy snack would add an additional 5 grams of protein.

Vitamins
One cup of sugar snap peas provides approximately 20 percent of the recommended daily intake of vitamins K, B1 and B5.

Minerals
Sugar snap peas also contain iron, copper, calcium, manganese and magnesium.

WOW! Dang I knew I fell in love with these lil guys for a reasons!! :love: With the sweet taste of them I was worried they were more carbs etc. than this, and in the legumes family, what can be better than that!:drinker: They are so delish raw if you haven't had the chance to try them yet, definitely give it a shot, you don't know what you're missing:wink: I only tried them within the last month or so myself. Now one of my favorite veggies/legumes:wink: ! Thanks goodness for CSA or I never would have heard of them!:drinker:

Enjoy!
Becca:flowerforyou:

Replies

• luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thxs for the nutritional info..i love them especially in my stir fry's :) And they add up so I dont need to add alot of chicken to make the stir fry good :):)
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love sugar snap peas! I just bought some yesterday at the farmers market and had them and some bell pepper strips with some hummus.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use them as snacks and dip them in ranch dressing.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thxs for the nutritional info..i love them especially in my stir fry's :) And they add up so I dont need to add alot of chicken to make the stir fry good :):)
    Still new to them so haven't tried them in stir fry, definitely on my list now! Thanks! :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I use them as snacks and dip them in ranch dressing.
    yum-O and hummus I hear is delish with them, might pick up some of that today too! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    How do you make your stir-fry? I don't have a wok would I still be able to pull it off? What types of things do you add and do you use EVO or EVOO for oil? Do you add rice? Love my brown rice, mmm

Or is stir-fry simply something anything can be tossed into?:tongue:

I want to branch out more from baked chicken. lol

Thanks!
    Becca:flowerforyou: