Sugar: natural vs. artifical

Options
I've read a lot of articles stating that you should have less than 30g of sugar per day. This can't include natural sugars found in fruits right? Because if it does, my sugar count is shot after I eat an apple. And how does milk/other dairy products fit in with this sugar debate?

Thanks!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Please define "artificial sugar."

edit: Unless you (or your family) has a history of diabetes or other sugar-related diseases, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of articles stating that you should have less than 30g of sugar per day. This can't include natural sugars found in fruits right? Because if it does, my sugar count is shot after I eat an apple. And how does milk/other dairy products fit in with this sugar debate?

Thanks!

All carbohydrates that you eat are eventually turned into glucose (blood sugar) which is your body's basic fuel. Simple sugars such as fructose and galactose (a component of lactose) raise blood sugar much more slowly than processed white starches
    that while technically complex carbohydrates are simply chains of glucose molecules that are quickly broken down to sgar in your body . You should read up on the Glycemic index.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Thanks!

30g per day is based on the CDC's recommendation for added sugar. There really is no recommendation for sugars found in fruits, veg, etc...your body does treat them differently...sugar in fruits and veg is metabolized slower becuase it is wrapped up in fiber...where as added sugar...soda...cookie, whatever is just a straight shot of the stuff to the blood.

I personally just limit my added/refined sugar intake...I don't have much. Most of my sugar (generally around 70g per day) comes from berries, fruit, and veg. My blood sugar levels have normalized and I am no longer pre-diabetic...I've also lost 30 lbs.
  • KrisNM
    KrisNM Posts: 17
    Options
    This is what I thought but the research doesn't really make this clear. I avoid cookies/cakes/white flour based breads and eat lots of fruits and veggies. When I log in my fruits into MFP it pretty much puts me over my daily sugar level.
    30g per day is based on the CDC's recommendation for added sugar. There really is no recommendation for sugars found in fruits, veg, etc...your body does treat them differently...sugar in fruits and veg is metabolized slower becuase it is wrapped up in fiber...where as added sugar...soda...cookie, whatever is just a straight shot of the stuff to the blood.

I personally just limit my added/refined sugar intake...I don't have much. Most of my sugar (generally around 70g per day) comes from berries, fruit, and veg. My blood sugar levels have normalized and I am no longer pre-diabetic...I've also lost 30 lbs.