Healthy Carbs????? I need help with this!

Options
Lizzy9
Lizzy9 Posts: 67 Member
I am keeping my carbs at a low 20% daily intake. I'm assume by setting that it means bad carbs???? I'm taking over 20% of healthy carbs. Am I accurate on this?

Replies

• sruckstuhl
    sruckstuhl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In MFP carbs are just carbs, the system doesn't know if they are "healthy" vs "unhealthy". 20% is really low, but if that is what you are sticking to...you are always better to take in healthy carbs like vegetables, and whole grains.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!!!!!!!!
  • sruckstuhl
    sruckstuhl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    no problemo!
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for 25% carbs and have had success with vegetables and legumes. I cut out fruit during the week and then eat a few servings of fruit over the weekend. What I've noticed the most is that my appetite has stayed surpressed and my cravings for sugary foods has disappeared. I eat beans or lentils every day with breakfast and lunch. This doesn't work for everyone, but thought I would share.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As a macro nutrient, a carb is a carb is a carb...and all turns to sugar when metabolized. From a nutritional standpoint, look towards veg/fruit...some whole grains but you'll probably have difficulty fitting those in on a 20% restriction. All will ultimately metabolized to sugar, but have the added benefit of vitamins and minerals...fiber, etc.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    Thanks - totally agree. Will burning up calories allow for more carbs???
    As a macro nutrient, a carb is a carb is a carb...and all turns to sugar when metabolized. From a nutritional standpoint, look towards veg/fruit...some whole grains but you'll probably have difficulty fitting those in on a 20% restriction. All will ultimately metabolized to sugar, but have the added benefit of vitamins and minerals...fiber, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "healthy carbs"? Net carbs (carbs minus fiber)? MFP doesn't have a way to track that, but you can track total carbs and fiber separately and do your own math.

I read an article the other day about food labeling that said a good rule of thumb in determining whether a grain product is "healthy" is to look for at least a 1 : 10 ratio of fiber to total carbs.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
    I am shooting for 25% carbs and have had success with vegetables and legumes. I cut out fruit during the week and then eat a few servings of fruit over the weekend. What I've noticed the most is that my appetite has stayed surpressed and my cravings for sugary foods has disappeared. I eat beans or lentils every day with breakfast and lunch. This doesn't work for everyone, but thought I would share.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    I'm going by carbs/sugar - keeping sugar low even through fruit. I don't touch sweets or bread. I take in fiber through protein shakes that I add to.
    What do you mean by "healthy carbs"? Net carbs (carbs minus fiber)? MFP doesn't have a way to track that, but you can track total carbs and fiber separately and do your own math.

I read an article the other day about food labeling that said a good rule of thumb in determining whether a grain product is "healthy" is to look for at least a 1 : 10 ratio of fiber to total carbs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you log exercise your total calorie allowance will go up, and since your carb allowance is a %, it will also go up.
    Thanks - totally agree. Will burning up calories allow for more carbs???
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This site doesn't know good carbs bad carbs or good sugars bad sugars.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    I know, that's why it's so awesome to have the support of others on this site. :)
    This site doesn't know good carbs bad carbs or good sugars bad sugars.
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm on a doctor supervised diet which is no more than 25% carbs, or 75 grams of carbs/day. My doctor said if I exercise, I can eat more, but I don't get more carbs, I still have to stay under 75 g. Bummer, eh?

But it's true, after a couple of weeks, you won't crave them anymore.

Oh, and that's net carbs, which is carbs minus fiber. So I can go over 75 as long as I eat enough fiber to compensate.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    That is exactly what I am doing. Not for medical reasons but for health reasons while I'm on my journey to losing and getting fit. My downfall are carbs (bread, chips, Gigi's Cupcakes - all trigger foods). I am taking in those carbs:fiber! The protein is killing me though....I'm trying to keep protein up and having to add extra carbs if you know what I mean! :)

It was also the same thing with diet coke. I never drank sugary drinks, I don't drink nor have I ever really drank anything with caffeine, no coffee, I don't smoke, I'm vegetarian - and diet coke was the hardest for me to get off of and after 2 weeks, I prefer not having it now - it actually makes me feel ill.
    I'm on a doctor supervised diet which is no more than 25% carbs, or 75 grams of carbs/day. My doctor said if I exercise, I can eat more, but I don't get more carbs, I still have to stay under 75 g. Bummer, eh?

But it's true, after a couple of weeks, you won't crave them anymore.

Oh, and that's net carbs, which is carbs minus fiber. So I can go over 75 as long as I eat enough fiber to compensate.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat less than 25g of net carbs a day. I get mine from veggies, berries and nuts.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    Good Carbs! :)
    I eat less than 25g of net carbs a day. I get mine from veggies, berries and nuts.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    All carbs get converted to glucose
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    All carbs get converted to glucose

Yes, but at varying rates, which is key to those who are insulin resistant or diabetic.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    oops triple post
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    oops triple post