Can not believe it.

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Try lifting the dumb bell equivalent of the weight you lost. I'm sure your joints are smiling.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    We are our own worst critic.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I can sure as hell see a difference! You have lost a lot and i bet your waist size has shrunk! You look great!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. strength training.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I see the difference in your pictures for sure. Sometimes (often) we are our own greatest critics. You are doing a great job and congrats are in order for meeting your first BIG goal! Good for you :)
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "fat goggles" comment. I look at myself and I still see the extra fat, but I remind myself to REALLY look without emotions involved and I see all the progress I have made even though I still have a little way to go. The key word is PATIENCE. Patience, patience, and then even more patience. You WILL get there so don't give up! Remind yourself of how much better you are feeling both physically and emotionally. Look at this lifestyle change as a journey with no real destination or end. Try to enjoy the process even during the difficult times. I wish you all the best my friend!! :-)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    In my 20's I was bulimic. When I got down to 155 pounds I still thought I was fat. Ya, I know, guys aren't supposed to have body image issues.
    This time around, because the weight loss has be slower, it has given me more time to match mental and physical image. I'm not experiencing fat head syndrome like I did when I was trying to lose insanely fast.

Be patient, and be good to yourself. Eventually, your mental image will catch up with reality.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 75lbs and until recently, I was totally like you. I was feeling discouraged and not a lot of people were even noticing. Then all of a sudden my body just seemed to adjust and it seemed almost overnight people were noticing how much weight I had lost and I felt suddenly much thinner. I don't know the scientific explanation for this but trust me, very soon your body will transform drastically.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Now the opposite is true for me. I can SEE Ive been shrinking, but the number on the scale stays the same. Makes me MAD as a hornet! But I can see other differences. I can do more and get away with it. Im WAY more active. I feel much better!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pictures and the difference is huge! You may not be able to see it now, but one of these days you will compare your most recent picture, to your first and see how much thinner you are.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the kindest possible way --- you are insane!! I just looked through your photos and there is certainly a difference. As you continue it will slowly become more evident to you, but please know that you're not some freak of nature who is losing scale weight but not losing fat off of her body. It's totally happening!

Also, try to pay attention to the fit of your clothes. Subtle changes in body fat can often be felt first in the fit of your clothes changing.

You are a very beautiful woman, by the way :flowerforyou:
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    You need to look harder at your photos, the difference is huge! You've had some amazing success so far, don't beat yourself up over nothing :flowerforyou:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    So, let me just ask you one question....do you need a new size of pants and/or shirt? And I mean REALLY....I don't mean can you continue wearing your clothing for a while longer to save money or whatever....I'm saying if you were in front of Clinton Kelly and Stacy London (What Not to Wear) would they say they couldn't see your figure that you were wearing a bag (BE HONEST)?

If you answered YES (and I'm taking a guess that you did b/c 50 lbs isn't chump change), your body changed. Start taking measurements every 4-5 weeks. Maybe when you see the NUMBERS change you will notice you've lost weight because you are still being too critical of yourself in the mirror.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I see a difference!!!! It is hard to see ourselves change, because I think we have a certain vision stuck in our minds. But honestly, I see a big difference in your pictures. Keep it up!!!
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Compare the side photo's. Look at the curve in your back, much more of a curve. Look at the line of the front of your body, straighter and much less "bumpy". :smile:
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I suspect you're not seeing it because your body shape isn't changing, looking at your pictures (though the black clothes makes it hard to tell) you are definitely smaller. It will take awhile before your body shape starts to change. I had the exact same issue as I was losing, the first 30 pounds I knew I felt better, but looking in the mirror I still felt dumpy. Then I went down a pant size every 10 pounds from there, so it was clear that I was losing weight, but when I looked in the mirror I didn't always see it because I still had the lumps and bumps in places where they were before, they were just smaller.

I'm down 65 pounds from my start weight, I'm 15 pounds from my goal, but my body shape is the same, when your body stays the same shape and just sheds some inches, it's really easy to see yourself as not changing (especially in pictures). Buying a new outfit is the best way to see the change. I hated buying clothes while I was "in progress" but wearing the same stuff just not as tight as it was before wasn't doing me any favors, just go try some new stuff on and see what a difference a pair of jeans that actually fit you makes! You've lost a ton of weight, and it shows! You've just got to get your head around it, which isn't easy.
  • ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Your kind words are great motivation! Hopefully I can learn how to take my "fat goggles" off. I guess it's just discouraging when you see people and want so badly to hear "wow! you've lost weight!" But I will get there. Not giving up this time. Again, thank you all so much.
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    51 pounds is HUGE. You have lost a toddler in weight. It came from somewhere, so even if YOU can't see the difference I bet other people can. And think about how healthy you are getting. Keep doing what you're doing!
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I see huge difference in your pics as well. Keep it up. Atm you are losing mass but it will really change your shape once you get down to your last 10-20 pounds.
  • longingforcontrol
    Options
    Hey =)
    first of, congratulations to your success!!! You did amazing and you look great.

So, looking at your pictures I DO see a HUGE difference so I am assuming its your mind that makes it hard for you to see the progress you have made. What are you doing to lose the weight? clean eating? working out? only cardio or lifting too?
    I would definitely recomment you to start lifting. even if its only with water bottles. I would do lifting and cardio. If you are not doing this yet then I would recomment you to start with the 30 days shred, its amazing for beginners. why the lifting? because (at least to me) it changes the way you feel about your body. weight loss is amazing and regonizing it on yourself is wonderful but still feeling the same as before really is awful and lifting somehow tightens your skin and you feel your muscles and it does make a difference in how you feel about yourself.

Besides this, I would recomment you to try not to focus so much on the scale because the real progress is seen in way other things. like in clothes that fit now better, jeans that are loose, in feeling more healthy, in being more fit, in being able to do (and if only one) more reps of an exercise. being able to walk up stairs without getting out of breath, chasing your kids and playing with them without feeling exhausted after. Being more happy and active. The scale is not everything.

Last but not least, keep going, just keep going. I promise you, at some point even you will see what you achieved. You are doing amazing and you can be proud of yourself.