Best brand for heart rate monitors

Options
2»

Replies

• FuzzyDicePHL
    FuzzyDicePHL Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Polar is obviously a popular brand. I had one that lasted for a few years and it was okay but I don't like having to wear two components (chest strap and watch receiver). I could also never get the modem-like audio sync to work, even using a semi-fancy microphone on my computer. That was a down-side for me since I like to review stats over time. I couldn't sync so I got no stats.

I replaced it with a Wahoo Blue HR that connects to my phone via Bluetooth and has a very easily-, user-replaceable battery in it. I always have my phone with me at the gym for music or for Nike+ so it's one less piece of gear I have to remember (cuz I don't like wearing a watch -- and especially a cheesy-looking plastic one). The free app the Blue HR connects to also does GPS if you run or bike, and gives you plenty of metrics if you're a data addict like I am. :)
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In leaning towards a polar ft4, from what I have heard all over people like it :). I do have a question regarding the polar ft4, when wearing it as a watch are there seconds on the screen as well as the hours and minutes? I'm a nursing student and would hate to have to switch between watches for clinical days..

I do love my FT4, but no, there are no seconds on the clock face. It does give you seconds if you are in workout mode though.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Polar FT4 with chest strap
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have used Polar for years ... long lasting and accurate. But, the more you pay the better you get.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin FR70. It's durable (I sweat a lot and break lots of gadgets during workouts). i have owned mine for a year - purchased the extra foot pod. It has just enough info without being overwhelming.

I can go trail running, bike riding, lift in the gym - it goes where I go. And, the Garmin does laps, alarms, has a run partner, and has a stop watch.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and I really like it, it let's you enter a bunch of personal information so your results are more accurate

This is what you will find over and over again for accuracy for HR. You can find them much cheaper on ebay. ; ) See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160992686959?var=460160235222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 as an example.
  • jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I got the bodymedia fit core a week ago. I love it!!! Very informative! Great charts and synchs with Mfp.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 arrived Weds. I used it Thurs and Fri and it works great. I was using several other calculators to figure my calories burned and it was off by 55 and 80 respectivly. I'm more fit then I thought now to have my body lose it's fluff so I look fit! I wish I had bought mine sooner, I would be much farther along on my weight loss journey by now.