"Cheat" Day?

Options
Hello!

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but I am curious nonetheless...

- Do you have a planned "cheat" day each week?
-If you do have a cheat day, do you log your calories on that day or avoid logging?

Replies

• Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I usually have at least 1 day a week when I go over calories,, I always log it though keeps me on the straight and narrow. I would only be cheating myself
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Tonight is pizza night and tomorrow is foot long hotdog lunch at a favorite outdoor diner that just opened up. I already prepared and logged what I'll be eating, exercised a bit more this week to bank extra calories and will plan my other meals around my "cheats" to even everything out. But then there are those blasted chocolate bunnies on Sunday... :o) If I'm over a couple hundred calories this weekend, no biggie. Planning is key for me.
  • Dbundrick
    Options
    yea cheat days only cheat yourself
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. If I know I am going to take in a lot of calories I make sure I have a huge calorie burn.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am only human and I allow myself to have what I want in moderation. I try to log when I go out to eat, which shall be tonight. Already logged my calories for it.
  • AnnaSmith27
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day because I know myself and I would go totally ballistic and eat everything in sight, but I do have a cheat snack almost every day. I will let myself eat a tablespoon of peanut butter or have a few chocolate chips or eat a brownie. It's the only way I can stay focused and stay sane throughout all of this!
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I personally dont believe in cheat days. Rather I am a proponent of have a little whenever you want it.

Lets say you are working at a 2000 calorie deficit(so aiming for 2 pounds a week). However you have a cheat day where you eat at maintenance that week. I would rather go 200-300 over everyday and never feel like I am depriving myself.

Way I see it is that willpower is a finite resource at any given time. Every craving that you resist drains your willpower. Eventually it breaks and that is when you see all the posts on people going crazy with over eating that can last for days.

I would rather have a little whenever I want it and save my willpower for the stresses of life. Sure this will probably add a monthish to my weight loss journey, but I have been trying for nearly 18 years so at this point I will take another month to reduce my stress levels.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I have one weekly MAD - Metabolism Adjusting Day where I allow myself to splurge - never say cheat because that conjures up guilt. And yes I log every BLT. Why not since it is planned?
  • AzIceQueen
    AzIceQueen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be eating a big calorie meal I try to eat lower calorie food for the other 2 meals for the day. But usually on the weekends I'll have a cheat day where I go way over my calories for the day. One day of high calorie doesn't seem to hurt my weight loss right now. Just have to remember don't do too many cheat days in 1 week. Unless you will be doing the exercise to make up for the extra calories you're eating.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a treat every now and again but never a whole cheat day...just don't really feel the need for it. I love all of the foods I already eat on a regular basis.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but I am curious nonetheless...

- Do you have a planned "cheat" day each week?
    -If you do have a cheat day, do you log your calories on that day or avoid logging?

I don't have a cheat day I have REWARDS.. and yes log it all, keeps you from going Crazy!?! :bigsmile:
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have one 'high'-calorie day a week. This week it was yesterday, as an impromptu pizza night. I wont have one now until next weekend; if I want to have something extra before then I'll work for it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have used cheat days in the past, more for the mental break to get away from tracking.

I think that conceptually they are fine under certain conditions and they are awful under other conditions and I don't think that you can unanimously label it as good or bad without context.

I think they are fine if:

a) You aren't using it as an excuse or justification to binge.
    b) Your need for cheating isn't caused by an over-restrictive diet.
    c) Your total intake on the cheat day isn't a substantial detriment to your overall energy deficit.

If it improves long term adherence and you are aware of the above factors (perhaps I'm missing other relevant factors) then I don't see a problem with it.

However, I think it's plausible that there are many people who don't meet this context in which case it could be counterproductive.
  • amandatiffany90
    Options
    Thanks for your answers, everyone!

I've had varying degrees of success with calorie counting before - and I think what will work best for me is having Saturday as a "cheat" day (aka "No Logging"). Not that I'll go ballistic or anything, but Saturday's are my day with my boyfriend and we usually spend them out & about in London....which often ends up at a pub, the cinema or restaurants. I think it'll keep me sane to be able to be a bit "freer" on Saturdays.

Sundays are often spent at home, so it's easy to control calories.

Anyways - very interesting to see your input, guys! x
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I have used cheat days in the past, more for the mental break to get away from tracking.

I think that conceptually they are fine under certain conditions and they are awful under other conditions and I don't think that you can unanimously label it as good or bad without context.

I think they are fine if:

a) You aren't using it as an excuse or justification to binge.
    b) Your need for cheating isn't caused by an over-restrictive diet.
    c) Your total intake on the cheat day isn't a substantial detriment to your overall energy deficit.

If it improves long term adherence and you are aware of the above factors (perhaps I'm missing other relevant factors) then I don't see a problem with it.

However, I think it's plausible that there are many people who don't meet this context in which case it could be counterproductive.

yeah, in the old days a, b and c would apply to me. I'd eat 7000-10000 calories two days in a row.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this also...(Sorry if I seems to hijack the thread) ^^;;

-Do you bank your calories before the day or do you eat less and/or exercise more the day after?

...Also will it be alright if there are 2 cheat days in a week instead of one?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'm curious about this also...(Sorry if I seems to hijack the thread) ^^;;

-Do you bank your calories before the day or do you eat less and/or exercise more the day after?

The only thing I would do is go into the gym the next day and typically smash PR's from all dat anabolic food.

Keep in mind, at least as far as my personal experience, when I would have a cheat day I'm talking about a day between TDEE and maybe +300-500kcals. I am not talking about a 5k surplus or anything like that, resembling a binge.

...Also will it be alright if there are 2 cheat days in a week instead of one?

In my opinion, whether or not it's "allright" depends on conditions I've laid out in my previous response, but my biggest concern would be total energy balance over the week. At some point, too many cheat days = you're not in an energy deficit or it's a really small deficit = slow or no weight loss.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    why would you give yourself an ENTIRE day to cheat and undo what you work so hard for the rest of the week?! I get it, you miss your old favorite fried foods, but come on. This should be a lifestyle change, not a diet that makes you want to cheat.

I can understand a cheat meal, but not a whole day
  • SideSteel
    Options
    why would you give yourself an ENTIRE day to cheat and undo what you work so hard for the rest of the week?! I get it, you miss your old favorite fried foods, but come on. This should be a lifestyle change, not a diet that makes you want to cheat.

I can understand a cheat meal, but not a whole day

Because there's a very high value, for some people, in simply not tracking food intake and eating what they prefer to eat, strictly for psychological reasons.

Some people can also do this while eating within a range of "reasonable" total calorie intake on a cheat day, not undoing the weeks worth of diet.

This isn't to say that I think everyone should have a cheat day, far from it -- but there are contexts in which it may be a perfectly fine thing to utilize.
  • Syl92
    Syl92 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    oh yes! Fridays are my "cheat days" :D I nom on whatever I like lol