One week Smoke Free

Options
It's been one week smoke free. It is going pretty good so far. I am trying to use the patch this time and it seems to really be helping me out. I have been going for walks on my breaks and lunch at work so that I am not stuck inside as I love being outside but don't want to be in the smoking area with the smokers right now. I have been getting a lot of support from family, friends and everyone online which is helping me stick with it. So far so good. :smile:

Replies

• FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yay! Great job! Keep up the hard work. Buy yourself something nice with the money you save (:
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I've never smoked before, but my mom has since she was 16. I can't imagine trying to quit smoking and lose weight all at once. Congrats on new healthy life choices all the way around!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That's great! You can do this. Surround yourself with people who care about you for you and don't be afraid to lean on them - they may need to lean on you some day too! Lots of water will help too. But, as the weather starts to improve, those walks will be nicer and nicer and you'll begin to feel the difference in your ability to breath easier. Keep up the good work!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The first steps are the hardest but also the most important; congrats to you!
  • JBNL
    JBNL Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yay!
    i am a tobacco cessation counselor :) you are doing fantastic! congratulations!!

Remember the 4Ds- drink water, delay the craving, do something different and take a deep breath!

it's part of a lifestyle change so keep up all your other healthy habits and find ways to change your routines :)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I stopped smoking four years ago and went from 40-a-day to cold turkey. I found the first three days the hardest as you wait for the nicotine to get out of your system.

This is a British forum but I found it really helpful when I stopped: http://forum.nosmokingday.org.uk/

Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! :flowerforyou: I am just about at the 2 month mark and, believe me, it is SO worth the struggle. If you want to, add me and we can give each other support :smile:
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I'm on day two...but determined!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's awesome. Keep up the great work. You deserve it! Be healthy, smoke free, and happy. WOO HOO!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Awesome! So proud of you! I'm not a smoker, but have witnessed many people try to quit. You're doing great. Keep it up!! :D
  • flexdirectcpr
    flexdirectcpr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My last cigarette was March 10. I won't say I quit, because I don't want to jinx myself. It has been pretty easy this time, compared to my previous attempts. A real motivation for me is my increased stamina with my workouts and increased time I can run without stopping. Good luck!
  • Cupcake_420
    Options
    Congrats and keep up the awesome work! I'm on month 7 and i haven't looked back. You can do this!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well done the hard part is making the decision to stop. I quit just over 3 years ago after smoking every day for 37 years. I used patches for 3 weeks then cold turkey, I think the patches were like a comforter rather than doing much. I did put weight on though and this year decided to lose it. The important thing is if you can go a week you can quit forever so keep up the good work.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! Good Job!
  • sassykitty101
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :flowerforyou:

I have tried to quit before without using anything and always ended up back smoking and that is why I choose to try something different this time and for me it seems to be helping with the cravings.

This time I also took time to set a quit date. I started with my healthy life style changes with the healthy eating then I added in starting to work out. Then about a month or so before my quit date I changed where I aloud myself to smoke and when. I started to cut down a little bit. I went to a group a my health unit to get more information about the patches and quitting smoking. Then about a week before I quit I started to tell everyone I was going to be quitting. I find all of this helped me stay on track and keep my quit date. As I have smoked on a daily basis since i was 14 years old and it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to give up. I find the hardest part is the habit of smoking. But so far everything is going good and hopefully this will be the time I quit forever :smile:
  • kcworkingdiver
    Options
    There is a site online that you plug in the day you quit and some other information it it gives you daily updates of the money you saved, the hours you added to your life, etc. I have never smoked but a friend of mine quit and posts this information when she hits milestones. Might help you to see your progress on a daily basis. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • sassykitty101
    Options
    Yes I am using that as well it is called the smokers helpline and it is a great tool. thanks
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Good for you. Keep it up. It will get easier the farther along you go :-)
  • cm4508
    cm4508 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great job! I stopped smoking I would say within the past 2 years and smoked for 20 years (yikes) and still will smoke a cig every now and again, but the only thing that stops me is that I have started interval running. You are on the right track. Best of luck!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and there is NO bigger gift to give yourself than to quit smoking. Funny I quit almost 4 years ago and for some reason never missed it a minute. I hope you have a very easy trasition to NON-SMOKER :flowerforyou: :drinker: