Sleep and Weight Loss

Options
*FYI, I tried searching for this topic but couldn't find anything.*

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a correlation between the amount of sleep I get and how much weight I gain/lose. I know that lack of sleep over time can lead to weight gain. To combat fatigue, we seek out energy-dense food and, if we eat more energy then we expend, we gain weight. I know that much, at least.

However, even though I do my best to stay within my calorie goals for the day, it seems the amount of sleep I get each night plays a bigger role for me than I thought. The weeks where I average 6-7 hours a night, the scale doesn't move. Or goes up a little bit. The weeks where I average 8-9 hours a night, scale goes down. To me, this seems like a minor difference in the amount of sleep I'm getting, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a sleep expert.

My scale isn't my only gauge for success, so I'm not too wrapped up in what it says. I am wondering, though: Does anyone else experience this? Am I crazy?

Also, any articles on studies about sleep and weight loss are appreciated, if you have it.

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Amen Solution by Daniel Amen M.D. and Blood Sugar Solution by Joel Fuhrman M.D. both talk about sleep and general health and weight loss as well. Sleep is a key component and this week I haven't slept much.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've found there is definitely is a correlation between sleep and weight loss for me. I do much better when I'm getting 7.5 + hours a sleep a night.

I know I found some articles online several years ago dealing with this issue, but it's been so long not sure I could find them again. I do know that from what I read, that there has been some tests that prove there is a link between the two.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Thank you both. I'm reading through Dr. Amen's website right now. Interesting stuff.
  • bellyboosmom
    bellyboosmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a friend of mine about this yesterday. I am terrible about sleeping. I normally go to bed about 11:30pm, and I get up between 5:30 and 6am. For a solid week, I went to bed between 9 and 10pm, and I lost weight consistently every night. The next week, I was back to my old habit of staying up late, and even though I was eating even better, and working out even more, not a pound came off. The last couple of nights I went to bed at 9pm, and I lost a pound each night. I am going to try to do some research on it as well, but I know that for me, and where I am in my weight loss journey right now, I need all the cards in my favor that I can get, so I will be an early to bed girl for the next few weeks, and see how it goes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep messes with your hormones which can cause you to feel hungry, even though you have eaten enough.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was just noticing that I lose MUCH more weight when I sleep 8-9 hours per night than if I sleep 7-8. I've been trying to sleep more as a result.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    I was just talking to a friend of mine about this yesterday. I am terrible about sleeping. I normally go to bed about 11:30pm, and I get up between 5:30 and 6am. For a solid week, I went to bed between 9 and 10pm, and I lost weight consistently every night. The next week, I was back to my old habit of staying up late, and even though I was eating even better, and working out even more, not a pound came off. The last couple of nights I went to bed at 9pm, and I lost a pound each night. I am going to try to do some research on it as well, but I know that for me, and where I am in my weight loss journey right now, I need all the cards in my favor that I can get, so I will be an early to bed girl for the next few weeks, and see how it goes.

This is exactly what I'm talking 'bout. I don't lose a pound a night when I sleep more, but the losses are still pretty significant.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I just went to a speech by a sleep researcher a few weeks ago who said there is a HUGE correlation between sleep and weight. Chronic sleep deprivation messes up your insulin levels as well as many other hormones related to appetite and digestion, including leptin and grehlin.

He said, anecdotally, that during one of their experiments that required subjects to get a full 8 hours of sleep? They lost an average of a pound a week over the course of the experiment...
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if they found out most people with weight issues overweight/obese are sleep deprived. I have a full blown sleep disorder or two, possibly three. It is extremely difficult for me to get enough sleep in fact nearly impossible. I have even tried sleeping pills, they don't work at least not consistently. I have tried going to bed at the same time, getting up at the same time. Dark rooms, lower noise or white noise to cover up some noise. Not eating after a certain time. no water after a certain time. Well lots of stuff even changes in my what I eat as my last meal for the day. Anyway, I think they need to do a lot more research on this before 100% of our population becomes sleep deprived and overweight.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me. I've had terrible problems with insomnia for years - week before last I had a really bad week sleep-wise, a couple of nights I didn't get more than 2-3 hours. Not sure if it's a co-incidence but that week my weight stayed static too, even though I was completely on calorie goal.
  • tamiz2013
    tamiz2013 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've always heard that sleep can affect your weight. Having just gone through diabetic training they said that it will make your liver do more work because it thinks its starving itself so it produces sugar.
  • boys4girls1
    Options
    I get 2 1/2 to 3 hours of sleep a night. You do need sleep to lose weight hence the fact that I have a hard time losing no matterr what I do.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm going to read up on that link as well. I actually feel like I sleep too much. For example I went to sleep at 1230 last night and woke up at 1200 this afternoon. I get at least 8-10hrs of sleep a day and more on the weekends and I even nap sometimes during the day. I know it's not good to sleep so much as well.