low carb help

Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
Could use everyone’s opinion on low carb..I’ve tried low carb and lost weight but seem to fall off the wagon..do you think its something a person can do long term or is it just me..thank you

Replies

• time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you intend to cut them out forever go for it. Its hard to cut carbs & then add them back. Dont get me wrong some people do it very successfully. Losing weight & cutting carbs dont go hand in hand tho. Losing weight & eating at a deficit do :). You can lose weight without cutting carbs. The way you go about it is up to you though. Good luck!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Diabetics eat low carb.
    They do it long term.
    Patients who suffer from seizures / epilepsy find treatment in low carb; as well as those battling cancer and Alzheimers.

And before someone who thinks they know all their is to know about nutrition wants to come and bash low carb saying NO dont do it - Google those three things.

One must understand the difference between good carbs and bad cards and why their body shouldn't have bad carbs. You also need to find out what your carb threshold is.

I have PCOS which causes insulin resistance. Eating 20-30 net carbs a day is the only way I have been able to lose weight.

So, can people follow it long term? Yes, and many do.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was on low carb back in 1996 and kept at it for over a year. I lost a good deal of weight and thoroughly enjoyed eating that way. It was fun to get fatty double cheeseburgers with bacon & no bun, and eat it with a sauce of full-fat mayo and mustard! I also studied it extensively and determined that it was healthy for me and still think it's a worthwhile approach.

However, I did eventually go off the program and gained all my weight back. Why? I can't say whether the fault lies with the diet or myself. I do know that it's a real battle in a world that doesn't get it. In 1996 almost no one got it.

Fast forward to 2005 -- my wife and I decided to try losing weight again... we tried low carb again... and this time the world DID get it. It was the renaissance of low-carb and Atkins, and there were tons of products on the shelves including snacks, and even restaurant menu selections for low-carbers. Should have been paradise, and I was expecting it would be.

But it didn't work. This time the weight did not fall off like before... also I was not as consistent as I was before. Again, I don't know who or what to blame.

Low calorie is working for me so far... now I've been on MFP for 2 3/4 years. This is the longest I have kept at any diet program and hope it's gonna stick. I think its actually easier to follow than Atkins because there are fewer specific restrictions, like breaded fish and chicken.

Falling off the wagon can happen with any diet... but I think low carb is less forgiving because it really doesn't take a lot of starch & sugar to throw you out of ketosis.

I have considered going back to Atkins on a temporary basis so I can eat a pile of pork sausage and fried eggs for breakfast, then head to the burger palace for lunch. Maybe one day.
  • xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    Diabetics eat low carb.
    They do it long term.
    Patients who suffer from seizures / epilepsy find treatment in low carb; as well as those battling cancer and Alzheimers.

And before someone who thinks they know all their is to know about nutrition wants to come and bash low carb saying NO dont do it - Google those three things.

One must understand the difference between good carbs and bad cards and why their body shouldn't have bad carbs. You also need to find out what your carb threshold is.

I have PCOS which causes insulin resistance. Eating 20-30 net carbs a day is the only way I have been able to lose weight.

So, can people follow it long term? Yes, and many do.
    This.

also for more info heres a good link to check out :
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyclical_ketogenic_diet.htm

if you're working out regularly that article can help because you'll need "carb up" days to help with energy.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Could use everyone’s opinion on low carb..I’ve tried low carb and lost weight but seem to fall off the wagon..do you think its something a person can do long term or is it just me..thank you

Any `diet` is workable short term?

I don`t understand why it has to be low carb?
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used it when i first started losing weight for a few weeks and drank water like i was trying to drain a lake , personally i think its a great starter but not a viable solution . My personal success has come from doing something i can do everyday of my life, eat right exercise and make healthy choices. Most important be persistent and change things up , take small steps and dont get discouraged ,THIS CAN AND WILL HAPPEN!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic who properly researched diet (instead of believing what people told me) I've been eating a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet since my diagnosis in late December of 2010. So nearly 2-1/2 years now.

Most days I'm well under 75g of carbohydrate, often as little as 40g. And that's on a diet of anywhere from 2,200 (while dieting) to 3,500 (while mass-gaining) calories.

Anybody can do it, and if you want to you can stick to it.

The key is recipes and foods that are low-carb, but SEEM like they're not.

EDIT: I want to say here that a DIET shouldn't be something you go on/off ... it should be something you can live with for life. If you can't do low-carb for life, and have no medical need to do so, you should try something else.

However, after looking at your profile, you're 46 years old and claim to have been fat all your life ... it's very possible you could have metabolic syndrome and/or pre-diabetes and should get screened for either to determine if you do have a medical reason to stay low-carb. An HbA1c test (NOT a fasting glucose test) is the best screening tool for this.
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    I live cyclically low carb, always have abs, and train for athletics, not cosmetics, and I do just fine.
    check out:
    www.bodyrecomposition.com Lyle Mcdonalds site....arguably the greatest researcher out there. All his works are amazing tomes on keto science and application.
    www.scivationbooks.com Check out carb haters anonymous for a ZERO carb bodybuilding protocol or my personal Fav Game Over 4. Its dense in veggies and ive gotten down to 5% bodyfat in 14 weeks with it. Drug Free. Coach Free.
    www.extique.com for what i consider the tome of cyclical low carb dieting. Its mos def Phd level writing and research. Its a less quantiifed and qualitatively constrained version of Game Over. You only count carbs. Arguably the most informative book ive ever read on health period...mandatory read and will set you light years ahead of calorie counters that only use the eliptical. You never hear anybody talking about the hormonal effect of diet and training. Faigin does...amazing. Get with it holmes....
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've chosen to eat Paleo -- for me, in terms of carbs, that means I don't eat wheat (or any source of processed sugar or sweetener), along with handful of other sources of carbs (e.g. I avoid white potato but will eat sweet potato occassionally).

This has worked very well for me and I no longer have the carb-related intense hunger/cravings that I did before. Even if I forget or don't get a chance to eat for a signficant portion of the day -- I'll feel a gradually increasing hunger rather than desperate urgency to EAT NOW.

Because avoiding wheat and sugar has smoothed my appetite I am better able to stick to my own goals and plans for what to eat and when to eat it and THAT has been the key to my success to this point.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    Diabetics have to go low carb if they don't want to have high dosages of insulin or oral medications. I have been low carb very successfully for 15 months now and have lost 55 lbs . I eat low glycemic vegetables and berries and protein sources are beans , nuts , legumes and animal protein. I did have to adjust the proportions on MFP to lower the carbs and am eating the recommended 1200 + calories each day. I don't eat back all my exercise calories .
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've been eating ketogenic for almost 2 years now and I'm doing fantastic. I got out of the risk zone for diabetes, don't suffer depresison anymore, finally did my first pull up (can do 50 now!) and can now run a ten k in 57 minutes.

Yeah, you could accomplish that with lean cuisine and spaghetti.

But I'd rather do it with bunless bacon cheeseburgers, pork rind nachos, and scotch eggs.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    On April 22nd I will be on my low carb diet for a year. I will NEVER go back to eat the way I did a year ago. I use myfitnesspal.com to keep track of my 30 carb to 15 protein ration. It has been the biggest help calculating portion size too! If you can teach yourself how to portion control, you can eat carbs and lose weight! =) There are also so many low carb options out on the market. I was very surprised to see how simple it is.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's important to eat the right carbs. Like sweet potatoes and high fiber products, when u DO eat them
  • albertabeefy
    Options

Are you sure of the cancer? that doesn't make any sense to me...
    Yes, the studies are quite recent, but the treatment of cancer with a very-low-carb ketogenic diet is extremely promising and makes perfect sense. Bear in mind it's circulating glucose that feeds tumor growth - as such they've been doing research all of which has so-far been quite promising.

It's not a cure, but it certainly is slowing tumor growth which assists other therapies.
  • TryingAgainIn2012
    TryingAgainIn2012 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, cancer. Apparently cancer cells have a fondness for sugars, which, of course, are carbs. Sad but true.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice now. A few years back I did the south beach thing and lost a lot of water weight (maybe 13 pounds). Then gained it back when I ate breads, granola, donuts, whatever I wanted. Stress added to that.

I did it very recently as well. Some people it works great, others it depends on what types of carbs. In reading more and more, if you have certain food allergies or sensitivities, gluten for example, I would stay away from bread. Bread spikes your insulin. Read up on it or go find a used copy of Wheat Belly and you'll get all kinds of great info.
    Carb of choice should be whole and real foods like baked squash, pumpkin, sweet potato, lots of green, red, and yellow peppers and every leafy green you can find. Cottage cheese and nonfat plain yogurt are good combos of protein/carbs. I would shy away from replacement bars like Atkins whatever bar. It's full of fake sugars that hinder fat burning. sucky, sucky. Shy away from meals in a box anyway.
    **Adding** if you've fallen off the wagon, maybe it's because you didn't allow yourself a treat meal or high carb afternoon/evening. You need one of those once per week. I used to do mine after working out. Was fun!
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Protein sources are highly acidic which also support tumor growth... that's why i said it didn't make much sense...
    It's not the acidity, it's gluconeogenesis, where the body converts the protein to glucose.

This is why they are placed on a ketogenic diet (which from a medical standpoint is normally well under 10% of calories from carbs, under 20% from protein and 70% or more from fat.)

The diets are usually also a slight caloric deficit, to further ensure that there isn't an excess of circulating glucose. Once a person enters ketosis, the body becomes fat-adapted and circulating glucose levels drop even in non-diabetic individuals. This is why the tumor growth is slowed.

Too much protein can cause elevations in circulating blood glucose - I'm a perfect example of that. When I eat protein in a ratio of 1g/lb of lean mass during my mass-building phase I have great glycemic control (as the protein is needed for muscle building) but if I ate that much when cutting, my glucose shoots into ranges I find unacceptable. Thus I have to eat considerably less protein when dieting than when building - excess protein raises blood glucose because of gluconeogenesis.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    This would also imply that vegans ar more likely to develop cancer, which doesn't make sense at all either.
    Actually, vegans are more likely to have colo-rectal cancer than those eating a regular diet. But lower cancer rates overall. (You can check multiple studies with the same conclusion, the most recent is the OXFORD-EPIC study).

Reduced cancer rates, however, are NOT solely linked to diet. Most vegans also live a very healthy lifestyle and eliminate several other cancer risk factors.

To show it's not just the vegan diet and their lack of meat, one needs only look to studies on cancer rates between 7th day Adventists (vegans) and Mormons, who live a very similar lifestyle but also eat meat. Neither religion believes in smoking or drinking, and studies show both religions have the lowest cancer rates in the western world. HOWEVER unlike the 7th-day Adventists, the Mormons eat meat. AND the Mormons have lower overall cancer rates than 7th day Adventists as well as substantially less colo-rectal cancer than the 7th-Day Adventists.

There's been two studies done that I know of comparing the 7th Day Adventist diet (which is the largest study of vegan dieters collected) with the Mormon dieters. Both reached the same conclusions.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

I know it can be done long term but people I know who have gone paleo or are on atikins they don't last long. Once they introduced carbs into you diet that weight will come back. Why not have a long term diet where you can eat the foods you want and lose weight. That's my two cents take it or leave it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937860-how-to-lose-fat-for-newbs

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741&page=1

This is how I lost weight^^

Also, do you have healthy issues concerning carbs? Is it really necessary that you avoid carbs? Ask yourself those questions.

Feel free to friend me or PM for anything.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!