Help! I need advice!

Options
The past few weeks I have started my fitness journey! I go to 24 hour fitness and usually I just do cardio. The typical treadmill, elliptical, bike and swimming. But, I have lately been doing weights! I am a 20 year old girl looking to lose 80 pounds! I weigh 190 so I am trying to really work! But, I am not sure if I am doing it right? When I go lift weights and I am wanting to LOSE weight and get toned! But, do I need to be lifting alot of weight? I DONT WANT TO GET BULKY!!!! I don't see many women near the weights so its very discouraging.. also can you lose more weight walking fast on incline or running?
Btw, I want to thank anyone who can help me out! I want to make a plan before I go work out tonight!

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hii, hopefully I will be able to help. Weight trainer won't bulk you up, it'll just help you to tone and bring it your muscles. You don't need to be lifting a lot of weight, just what is right for you. It shouldn't be easy but you should still have good technique or you can do yourself some damage. Try out a few different weights and see what you can manage, you can always put it up over time! I know what you mean about it being discouraging, there are hardly ever any women in the weights section at my gym and the men tend to watch what I am doing as they seem to be shocked I'm in the weights area on some of the machines. Just do it though and don't let them out you off! With regards to other exercises, I suggest running. It has helped me lose and tone at the same time. I love it. If you haven't done much running before the C25K programme is a great place to start :). Hope this helps, Ax
  • Courtbel2011
    Options
    Awesome! I will def keep this in mind! I hate running but I will do the best I can! I usually run the walk.. one for three minutes one for two! But, hopefully the more I get fit the longer I can run.. I cant run longer than three minutes straight right now.. :/
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    what-women-think-will-happen-lift-heavy-e1360469567159.png?w=529&h=358
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy using compound movements. There is pretty much zero chance of you getting bulky from muscle growth. Read Strong Lifts, The New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Wendler's 5/3/1 and follow the program.
  • kgibson17
    kgibson17 Posts: 23
    Options
    Nice! So true!!