Belly Fat

Options
Okay....does anybody have this problem? My stomach seems to be the last place to slim down. I would say I am in good shape. Work out 6 days a week and have lost 8 pounds since starting MFP less than two months ago. I am basically at my goal weight and my arms and legs are toned even my upper abs and obliques are toned. But the middle, all around my belly button is not getting any flatter. I incorporate abs into almost all of my workouts, do lots cardio (turbo fire, brazil butt lift, jillian michaels), strength training, etc, and it is just not shrinking.......It's pretty sad when your 6 year old tells you it looks like your pregnant when you weigh 104 pounds......any ideas to help tone this major problem area????

Replies

• weightingtobloom
    weightingtobloom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you very stressed? Stress can cause you to have a bit of a tummy even when you are quite fit. It could also caused by bloating. Here's a link that I found that talks about the different types of tummy and how to deal with them.

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/body+fitness/news+features/what+is+your+tummy+typer,10267
  • dorasworld
    dorasworld Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HA! I'm in the same boat! Would like to see the responses :grumble:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. I would go further into what could help. But I am sick of getting skewered by the ones who think they know it all refuse to ever believe that something they don't approve of could possibly be true.
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Thank you for this link, I have review the information and now know additional steps I can implement to flatten my tummy. Thanks OP for starting this thread.
  • aas1277
    aas1277 Posts: 67
    Options
    message me then!
  • aas1277
    Options
    Are you very stressed? Stress can cause you to have a bit of a tummy even when you are quite fit. It could also caused by bloating. Here's a link that I found that talks about the different types of tummy and how to deal with them.

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/body+fitness/news+features/what+is+your+tummy+typer,10267

Thanks! the link is helpful......I'm definitely a stress tummy or bloated tummy....although I finally quit my job in june after years of unhappiness and now I'm a SAHM....my stress levels have diminished considerably....lol.....I did just find out I have an allergy to tomatoes although the allergist said I can continue to eat them....hmmmm maybe they are upsetting my digestive organs....
  • aas1277
    Options
    That sounds about right. I would go further into what could help. But I am sick of getting skewered by the ones who think they know it all refuse to ever believe that something they don't approve of could possibly be true.

message me
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will actually work to get rid of belly fat is to continue to lose weight and/or reduce your body fat percentage. For many women, the midsection is the last place to lose fat from. That's just how a lot of us are genetically programmed.

So, keep a calorie deficit and exercise (strength training will also help you achieve the look you want). It's that simple. But, if you'd rather hand over your money to one of the other people posting here, go ahead I guess. It's your wallet.
  • SpiffyEpiphany
    SpiffyEpiphany Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been trying this program, for lack of a better word, for a month now; it's called intermittent fasting. Basically all you do is designate an 8 hour window in which you eat all of your calories for the day ( you can do it in a smaller period of time like 6 hours and fast for 18 hours but that's pretty extreme). As well, you're allowed to eat a high protein breakfast followed by a workout which negates the food you just consumed, as I'm sure you already figured out.

The hours that you're not eating, you drink water, black coffee (fabulous for your metabolism btw)/tea. Sleep counts towards the fasting hours as well. I've noticed that I've shed at least an inch off my belly, and dropped a few lbs in the process and it's really not hard to follow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting
    From wiki yes, but I can't really directly quote my source because he's a human being and hasn't written an article, but I swear he's my weight loss guru!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    that is me 100%... i have lost everywhere, like how i look everywhere but my tummy! i get asked if i am pregnant all the time, it's depressing. The last spot is the only spot i need and it's not budging.... i also have done Jm, slim in 6, etc and no luck, it's still there....
  • aas1277
    Options
    The only thing that will actually work to get rid of belly fat is to continue to lose weight and/or reduce your body fat percentage. For many women, the midsection is the last place to lose fat from. That's just how a lot of us are genetically programmed.

So, keep a calorie deficit and exercise (strength training will also help you achieve the look you want). It's that simple. But, if you'd rather hand over your money to one of the other people posting here, go ahead I guess. It's your wallet.

I hear what you are saying but if I lose any more weight I'll be under 100 pounds which doesn't sound healthy to me. I will keep watching my calorie intake....I usually stay at my 1200 mark unless I burn alot of calories, then I'm hungrier thoughout the day so if I'm under my calorie goal it's usually by 75-100 calories b/c I'm hungry all the time which stinks. I'm hoping that's its really just my most stubborn area but what's weird is I swear it looks flatter when I first wake up and then once I start my day and start eating it's like I get bloated...grrrr

In the last few weeks I've stepped up my workouts....no more 20 minute Jillian workouts...I'm doing turbo fire and working out at least 45 minutes or more. My arms and legs have never been in better shape but this darn belly!
  • Sethswife316
    Sethswife316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've always had this problem, even when I was under 100 pounds. I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and since becoming gluten free, there is a HUGE difference. My belly bloating is much less. Maybe you have celiac disease or even just a gluten intolerance.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Next time you're standing in line to buy groceries, scan the magazines and see how many have cover stories promising the secret to "flatten your belly". Apparently this sells magazines! Sadly, a very common problem. I wish there was a foolproof answer. When I see pictures of celebrities who are very svelte in the mid-section, I often have to remember "Oh, yeah, she never had children"... Good luck with your quest -- and I'm sure you look terrific anyway!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I hear what you are saying but if I lose any more weight I'll be under 100 pounds which doesn't sound healthy to me. I will keep watching my calorie intake....I usually stay at my 1200 mark unless I burn alot of calories, then I'm hungrier thoughout the day so if I'm under my calorie goal it's usually by 75-100 calories b/c I'm hungry all the time which stinks. I'm hoping that's its really just my most stubborn area but what's weird is I swear it looks flatter when I first wake up and then once I start my day and start eating it's like I get bloated...grrrr

In the last few weeks I've stepped up my workouts....no more 20 minute Jillian workouts...I'm doing turbo fire and working out at least 45 minutes or more. My arms and legs have never been in better shape but this darn belly!

It sounds like your problem isn't so much weight but body composition. Seriously try weight lifting. Read The New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Lifts, or Wendler's 5/3/1, pick one, and follow the program. It will make a dramatic difference. That and eat.

And edit to add after reading your profile: My wife fits your profile quite well. She's also a former lawyer and SAHM. She went through all of this for weight loss, then was finally convinced to get on a heavy lifting program with me. She is now long and lean and quite literally has the body she had when she was in her late teens, only better TBH. You have to be patient. You have to eat much more than you ever thought you should. But it does work.
  • lin7604
    Options

you so sound liek me 100%. i wake up fine and flat and then BAm i look pregnant a few hrs later. I cut out breads etc to see if there was a difference and not really.. i was tested for celiacs as my son has it but i was good.. so not sure what makes such a huge difference on me...
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I know how ya feel. You have to lower your body fat in order for your abs to be visible. I still do cardio, and strength training. It def helps.
  • aas1277
    Options

It sounds like your problem isn't so much weight but body composition. Seriously try weight lifting. Read The New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Lifts, or Wendler's 5/3/1, pick one, and follow the program. It will make a dramatic difference. That and eat.

And edit to add after reading your profile: My wife fits your profile quite well. She's also a former lawyer and SAHM. She went through all of this for weight loss, then was finally convinced to get on a heavy lifting program with me. She is now long and lean and quite literally has the body she had when she was in her late teens, only better TBH. You have to be patient. You have to eat much more than you ever thought you should. But it does work.
    Thanks....I will read it!
  • lin7604
    Options
    Oh girl, I know how ya feel. You have to lower your body fat in order for your abs to be visible. I still do cardio, and strength training. It def helps.

i know for myself i have been trying for months ( since oct) and no change? not sure what i am doing wrong or not doing that i should be....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose more weight or maintain? If it's maintain, then you need to be eating more then 1200 calories.. Esp if you are truly hungry.

I would suggest eating at matinance calories or a small deficit while lifting. You'll maintain lean muscle mass, but continue to lose fat.. which will lower body fat and hopefully get some of that stomach fat to go.
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Brad Pilon wrote a book Eat Stop Eat. You always eat dinner everyday and every other day no breakfast,snacks or lunch,until supper again. I did this for 6 months and lost 22 pounds and 24 inches. I exercised also.