Bad Knees!!!!

Options
HELP!!! I found out I have a torn meniscus and osteoarthritis of the knee. I go for an MRI soon to see if I need to have surgery. I need to know what type of exercises I can do that will still burn a lot of calories. I know I can work my upper body, but I want to do more. I'm scared I will gain weight if I'm not really being active. Any suggestions!!!!!

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    swimming
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My dad had the surgery and he bikes to exercise. Make sure that your legs don't straighten all of the way when you pedal though because that'll hurt. My dad has no cartilage left in his knee and there's arthritis in there, but the biking is something he can handle. He's got a stationary bike in the basement that he uses every day.
  • eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis and almost tore the meniscus on my left knee about a month ago; fortunately the meniscus is healing (very slowly) but I understand you very well. I tried as many upper body exercises as I could for 2-3 weeks but they don't burn many calories compared to walking/running/cycling but as my trainer said to me do try to avoid using weights unless you are sitting down otherwise you'll make your knee worse.
    If you are not in a lot of pain try to at least walk carefully as much as you can, I'd go out with a walking stick but it would take me ages to get anywhere because it was very difficult; if you can swim that would be great, not only it's one of the best forms of exercise but the water will take a lot of weight and pressure off your knee.
  • McShell12
    McShell12 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I tore my meniscus, my doctor fitted me with a brace to wear and told me to continue my normal routine. I hiked and used the ellipitcal. I also did physical therapy to keep up my leg strength.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Swimming definetely, recumbent bike and elliptical/cross trainer are meant to be low impact for knee joints but i'd ask the doc first.
  • homegirl614
    homegirl614 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    swimming

Bump

Swimming puts less stress on your joints (it actually helps support you as water is 100's of times denser than air). You burn more calories in water than in air.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/does-swimming-burn-calories.html
  • mrsmksteinrn
    Options
    Hey Miss Bad Knees!

I feel your pain! I've got two awful knees myself, the results of many years of punishing athletics and injuries. Now I must pay! Orthopedic surgeon (who will be repairing both) recommends never slowing down, just changing the way I stay active, since my knees no longer bend and flex. So SWIM< SWIM< SWIM!!!! It is terrific exercise, aerobic and muscle strengthening, and it feels great. You can join your local gym and do it year round. Walking on the indoor (flat) track has been good for me as well. The recumbent bike is good too, as long as I keep the bend in each knee to a minimum--but I feel don't feel like I'm doing much just sitting there. Trainer has suggested adding some hands weight. Hope this helps. Take care of your knees....and remember, never slow down!! Best wishes.
  • destination1953
    Options
    I had a total knee replacement in my left knee and a second surgery on it. My right knee needs a total replacement. Used to walk 3-5 miles a day. Can no longer do that. Using bicycle also hurts my knees so my doctor said to swim. I try to exercise in the water for at least 1 hour 3-4 times a week and found that I am able to stand that. I have gained 50 lbs. since surgery 2 years ago but also quit smoking so I figure that adds alot to the mix. I try to eat vegetarian except on holidays and special occasions to keep the weight down.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spin classes? I'm bone on bone in both knees and have had two surgeries for torn meniscus (each knee). Spinning helps build some strength in the muscles around my knees and the movement is great for my osteoarthritis. It's also a fantastic calorie burner too!:smile:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have a "bad knee." I had a torn meniscus and had surgery a few years ago. Biking and elliptical were good for me. Non impact is the way to go until you get the green light from your doc.
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would say anything that is low impact to your knees, be careful of high impact aerobics, star jumps etc. I would recommend swimming!

Good luck with your knee!
  • homegirl614
    Options
    I am really worried that I won't be able to do a lot of cardio exercises or be able to burn a lot of calories. I haven't been to the gym in about two weeks. I'm anxious to get back, just didn't know what to do, I don't want to do weights everyday. I will definitely be doing the bike but i'm a little nervous about the elliptical. Again thanks everyone for the suggestions. I appreciate it...
  • homegirl614
    Options
    For those that have had a torn meniscus and has had the surgery, how long was your recovery time??? I'm almost certain that I will get the surgery soon, curious about how long I will need to recover.
  • Fat2PhysiqueFit
    Fat2PhysiqueFit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same issues that you mention here. When I had the surgery to repair the meniscus and "scrape" the knee, my recovery time was 8 weeks.
  • epros39
    epros39 Posts: 17
    Options
    i sweat more doing push-ups and sit-ups on the floor than running. give it a try.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am really worried that I won't be able to do a lot of cardio exercises or be able to burn a lot of calories. I haven't been to the gym in about two weeks. I'm anxious to get back, just didn't know what to do, I don't want to do weights everyday. I will definitely be doing the bike but i'm a little nervous about the elliptical. Again thanks everyone for the suggestions. I appreciate it...

I feel for you because I have torn meniscus and arthritis in both knees, too. The doctor will not fix the meniscus because doing that will reduce the thickness and increase the osteoarthritis. At my age, that is not good…

I can't squat with weights or do any kind of lunges, polymetrics, jumping jacks, run or jog; in general I am not allowed to do high impact exercises. However, I do a lot of strength training, and I use the leg extension machine, leg curl and leg press, I do sumo dead lifts, wall and frog squats, Pilates, Yoga, Ballet (which I had to modify a lot), ARC fitness, treadmill, stationary rowing machine, and recumbent bike. I also go for walks whenever I have time. All with my doctors’ blessings.

I have done DVD workouts, but I modify when I have too, but I keep on moving, even if I have discomfort (not acute pain), and I apply ice every night and I wear a brace when I do legs workouts. If needed, I also take an Advil and I use Voltaren, a topical anti inflammatory given by my doctor.

Do not despair, be aware of your problem, but keep on moving so you don‘t develop stiff knees. Ask your doctor to send you to physical therapy; it will do you good.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Recovery time for the meniscus surgery and scope (clean up from arthritis) was pretty quick. After the first surgery, I went to Disney World-six weeks out and with my doctor's blessing. The first six weeks, I took it pretty easy. A big workout for me was 15 min on the stationary bike with no tension. And of course, physical therapy.

I was also blessed because five weeks out from my second surgery, we went on an Alaskan cruise. I did a lot of walking and biking. Never took the elevator (except once) and did the stairs. Again, followed doctor's orders and did PT after that surgery too.

We joke at my house that we only take vacations if I'm going to have knee surgery. Seems to be the case! Sure is a great motivator!

I wish you all the best with your knee issues. As others have said, don't give up. Find something that works for you and stick with it!:flowerforyou: