dry skin. Nutritional problem?

Options
I am hoping that as we get to the end of winter the problem will correct itself, but I am finding that my skin, and especially the tips of my fingers are really really dry and crack ing. Anyone have that problem? Is there something I am lacking nutritionally that may be causing the problem?

Replies

• whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Me, too! I don't know why - I know that it wasn't like this when I ate more fat, so that could be it... but I'd rather not be super fat with dry skin than be fat with nice skin :/
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    If you live in a really dry climate, like I do, there's not much you can do besides moisturize unfortunately.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Worse case scenario is low potassium, which is dangerous. If you're eating I doubt that's the case though.
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking fish oil? You could also use coconut or almond oil to moisturized your skin. I have had good look with this!
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i struggle with dry skin all the time and notice that it gets worse if i don't maintain a sufficient dietary fat intake. so that could definitely be part of the problem. i've also heard that dry skin can be a sign of vitamin A or E deficiency--or, of course, of poor hydration.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Me, too! I don't know why - I know that it wasn't like this when I ate more fat, so that could be it... but I'd rather not be super fat with dry skin than be fat with nice skin :/

fat does not make you fat.

you need fat to support your bodily functions.

OP, i would suggest applying a think lotion to your hands right before bed and wearing cotton gloves. works miracles.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I found that when I started including enough olive oil in my diet, my skin improved greatly. Softer and not as dry.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    i have the same problem. my legs itch and is constantly dry. The skin on and around my fingers constantly cracks and once again is constantly dry.

After numerous doctors, i've come to the conclusion that its due to winter. I moisturize and try not to itch when it itches and it helps it. I also put on baby oil right before i get out of the shower and try to reduce the heat of my showers, whcih tends to irritate it even more.
  • whitecapwendy
    Options
    thanks everyone.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Not enough water?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Vaseline Intensive Care.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have it, but mine's eczema. It usually clears up in the summer/fall when I'm outside in the sun (vitamin D, yo). In the winter/spring, I lotion up with cocoa butter after a shower and that mostly keeps it at bay, though it still itches like mad. My left middle finger is bad and I slather it with vaseline and try not to touch things for a few hours.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

fat does not make you fat.

you need fat to support your bodily functions.

OP, i would suggest applying a think lotion to your hands right before bed and wearing cotton gloves. works miracles.

I know that fat doesn't make you fat and I still eat fat - but now around the MFP guidelines, which is considerably less than the (way too much) fat I was eating before!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking fish oil? You could also use coconut or almond oil to moisturized your skin. I have had good look with this!

This is what my Dr. recommended for my dry sking Omega - 3 fish oil & my husbands psoriasis & dry skin clear up with coconut oil.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    try supplementing with a b complex , especially b6
  • sun_ny
    sun_ny Posts: 35
    Options
    Eat water rich foods like melon and cucumber and use a good hand cream. If your weather is really cold though that could be the issue
  • whitecapwendy
    Options
    Not enough water?

I drink plenty of water (usually between 80-120 oz a day)
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Almond oil works great for dry cracked finger tips.

If they're painful I suggest Neosporin + Pain.

And when they're healed agree with the previous poster that said hand cream and cotton gloves. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive (it doesn't even have to be hand cream, lotion works) just whatever your skin tolerates.

If you've got to constantly wash your hands I also recommend Germ-X hand sanitizer whenever you can avoid washing. (Of course after the cracks have healed!)