Why I have temporarily stopped logging.

Options
God bless each of the dozen or so of you who have asked me over the past few days why I have stopped logging my food and exercise. I say that seriously, without a shred of sarcasm. I never imagined a place where people that I have never met cared so much about my wellbeing.

Yes I have temporarily stopped logging.

Yes I intend to continue logging on Sunday (or possibly tomorrow-- more on that below).

Why did I stop logging my food and exercise temporarily?

Our family has seen some tough times over the past month or so.

My wife's father (82 y/o) went into the hospital for "routine" surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago and has at least temporary and quite possibly permanent brain damage as a result of it. We are doing what we can to be a source of comfort and support for my mother-in-law.

My older sister, who has been my closest confidante for over a decade since both of my parents died, is in the final weeks of her battle with cancer, days or weeks away from transitioning from hospital to hospice.

I am battling a former client who disregarded my advice and who has demonstrated himself willing to lie about anything in order to not pay me the now over $70,000 that he owes me.

My only employee (legal assistant) quit with no notice in early March to take a different job, leaving me doing both of our jobs until her replacement begins work April 8th.

In short, my emotional and mental reserves are drained and I needed some time off from the discipline of logging my food every day.

Now for the little bud of bright green sticking out of the white, spring snow. None of the foregoing has killed me. I will survive despite all of it. And best of all, given some time off from my lifestyle on here (eating and exercise, wise), I find that I miss eating more healthily and miss exercising. And so, definitely on Sunday, and quite possibly tomorrow, I plan to put on my big boy bloomers, lace up my walking shoes, stick my iPod into my head, and resume what I now realize that I've come to enjoy. The "tomorrow versus Sunday" depends on whether I decide to finish the remainder of the Marie Callender's Dutch Apple Pie that is in the fridge (yeah, the one with "extra flaky crust made from scratch with 100% Fuji apples").

Thank you to each and every one of you who has asked about me. I plan to strap on my battle gear and get back in the game in the next 4-28 hours.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am not one of your friends but I will be praying for you and your family tonight
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    I'm sorry about all that life's thrown at you. You are a very strong person to be able to say "look I need to see about my family first but i'm not giving up"

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You and your family are in my prayers. I've had challenges but not all at the same time. I can't imagine how difficult it has been for you and your family and I wish you all the best for some peace.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    May God hold you and yours in the palm of his hand.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I also am not one of your friends, but I am keeping you and your family in prayer. You sound like a pretty strong personality, the thing is our exercise4 is often a tool to use to take our mind of other things for a little while at least and at the same time benefits us!!!
    Hope things improve for you!!
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you, Scott! Wishing you and your family the best during this time.

And though you're not logging, which is understandable, can you drop a joke now and then? No one tells them like Mr. Third! :)

Take care of yourself!

Margit
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    Thinking of you. I can't imagine how stressed you must be right now. But, if I know one thing about Mr. TFT, it's that you are a STRONG person. Can't wait to see a huge calorie burn this weekend :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Winks0118
    Winks0118 Posts: 25
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm glad to hear that you've got a good activity to escape to. I hope you are able to stay strong throughout the upcoming hardships.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your situation but can I just say don't stop logging.

I did the same thing last year my father was sick had to be placed in a nursing home. After a few months I lost my father and my mother wasn't coping at all with the loss not to mention her own health problems.
    I put my weight loss on the back burner for 9 months while I dealt with everything and gained 10 kilo back of the 20kilo that I had lost. I have once again lost that 10 kilo but I would be done now if I hadn't have stopped logging and gained it back.

I wish you the best!
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    your perseverance is so inspiring. All the best to you.
  • yoda1999
    yoda1999 Posts: 9
    Options
    Keeping you in my thoughts...hang in there : )
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of your MFP friends, either, but I do want you to know you are inspiring.
  • bethany598
    bethany598 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Scott, I am keeping you and the family in my thoughts and prayers. I am sorry to hear about all that your family is going through right now, but from all the lovely things you have shared with us, I know they love you and you have a great support system through them.
  • duluthian
    duluthian Posts: 69
    Options
    I am sad you are going through so much at the moment. I want to thank you for putting a smile on my face every day with your whacky jokes and sayings. I'm so glad you are on my friend list. Stay strong :flowerforyou: