Weight-loss contradictions that don't make sense to me

Options
I see and hear all over the place "burn more calories than you eat to lose weight;" yet on the other hand, I see that you need to make up the calories that you burn throughout the day by eating more than you would without exercise to lose weight... All these weight loss professionals advise 5-6 small portions of food throughout the day, and in doing so, I barely accrue the necessary calories (1200-1500) that I am supposed to consume. I have no idea how I'm supposed to possibly eat 3-500 more a day by eating healthy foods when their calorie count is already low as it is. I probably burn about 2000-2500 calories per day 6 days a week between exercise and normal body functions, and consume approximately 13-1500 a day. With this being said, I would have a 600-1300 calorie loss almost daily. The "burn more calories than you eat to lose weight" statement would justify me losing approximately 1-3 lbs a week, mathematically. Which is not the case. I am still maintaining my current weight after nearly completing week 2 of Insanity. I actually gained a pound or 2 since starting and am not seeing any results on the scale or on my body, other than my legs. I don't know which way to go though. I don't know if I should continue eating the amount that I do daily and this is just a normal thing starting out, or If i should go off of my MFP calculator and consume 3-500 more calories a day like it's saying after i enter my calories burned. If I really do have to eat more, I'd still be confused as to how I can eat healthily by consuming that large of a spike in calories without jeopardizing SMALL-portioned meals.

If this may help out if my explanation is confusing:
Say that MFP sets my goal to 1530 calories to consume on a day. I enter in that I am currently at 711 and it says I have 819 remaining to eat for the day. I then enter in my workout results at that point and have burned 800 calories. After doing so, it says i have 1619 calories remaining to eat for the day! Bringing the daily goal to 2330 calories. How am I supposed to make such a huge transition more than halfway throughout the day AND lose weight from this?

Replies

• kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First off.... "burn more calories than you eat to loose weight" is not true for everybody. Second, MFP already gives you a caloric defecit when you enter your information. So, in all reality you should eat what it says. The best advice I can give you is to try it. Eat how much it tells you too. And, don't wait til halfway through your day to log and look at totals. If you have been exercising for awhile, you know basically how much you are gonna burn, so PLAN AHEAD. Punch in what you are gonna eat for the entire day. I have a lot of trouble with my personal training clients not doing this. If you put everything in, you will know where you stand. I hope that you find what works for you.