3 Level ACDF and exercise

Options
Chelkb
Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
Hi! I recently had a 3 level ACDF on C4-C7 (10 days ago). I had severe spinal cord compression and was told I was crushing it and faced paralysis without surgical intervention. At c5-6, the ap diameter of the cord was only 5 mm. Normal is at least 13-17mm. I have searched everywhere online regarding people returning to exercise after this surgery and I haven't found much except for scary stories. Prior to surgery, I ran several half marathons, 15K's, 10K's and too many 5K's to count. I also had worked my way up to 25 lb kettlebells. My neurosurgeon told me my half marathon days are over. After some crying, I decided that I can live with this but I don't want to give up running completely.

Has anyone had this surgery and if so, did you return to normal exercise? Did you have any permanent restrictions? I have been walking 2 miles per day for the last few days and feel fantastic though slightly tired. I'm hoping to see some positive stories.

Thanks for any information that you can provide!!

Replies

• Chelkb
    Options
    Bumping. Anyone?
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S ADVISE TO A T:)
  • Chelkb
    Options
    I plan on following the doctor's orders for sure. I don't have any desire to do this again! I was just hoping to hear others' experience with this surgery because as I understand it, it is quite common though finding positive info online has been tough so far.
  • Chelkb
    Options
    Bumping again. Someone else on here surely has dealt with this?!?!
  • wmbrett
    wmbrett Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    2 years past my 2 level ACDF (with a bonus corpectomy thrown in) I've on the Elliptical about every day for the last few months. I'm back to seeing the doctor due to issues I'm having with my two outside fingers on both hands that go numb when I sleep. I'm guessing this issue is related to weights / push ups - but not sure. I've had a follow up MRI and will see the doctor again to see if this is a new issue (neck related) or pre-existing issue due to my severe stenosis. Pretty much any exercise where you are not pounding on your feet (you risk the next lower disc rupturing) or falling - i.e. biking - you should be fine. I use the elliptical and recumbent bike - and would swim if it were convenient. Best of luck.