Feminine Help

Options
Alright, so whenever I am on my period, I get super hungry and I eat some dessert and chocolate and ice cream, not a lot but like a bowl or so.. and I feel like if I dont eat that ice cream then im going to go crazy or something. So Im just wondering if it is okay to eat ice cream like a couple times while im on my period even if it goes over my calorie limit a bit. Will it affect me a lot if I go over a little or will I still be ok in losing weight as I keep exercising. Thanks :P

Replies

• danacolson
    Options
    You can always eat Skinny Girl ice cream and chocolate....
  • qtpiez4000
    qtpiez4000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good idea I didn't think of that!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you know it's coming, you can budget a little bit before hand so you have some spare calories on the days you need them.

For example, if you know your period is going to come in the next 5 days, go under your calorie goal by 100 calories for those days and you'll have 500 saved up. If your period is less predictable than that you can always go under your calories on the few days afterwards to make up for it.

Your body stocks and uses or expends calories as needed over time, not strictly in the space of 24 hours.

Enjoy your dessert!!
  • holothuroidea
    Options

Ew! Diet ice cream? WHY!? Let's keep the treats treat-y, ok?

What's next? Diet cake? Diet cookies? Diet soda?

Oh wait... :P
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You will feel so good to resist the temptation. I say try your hardest to avoid it. If not, get a small scoop to satisfy the craving. Or, make your own ice cream with frozen bananas or frozen grapes!
  • qtpiez4000
    Options
    If you know it's coming, you can budget a little bit before hand so you have some spare calories on the days you need them.

For example, if you know your period is going to come in the next 5 days, go under your calorie goal by 100 calories for those days and you'll have 500 saved up. If your period is less predictable than that you can always go under your calories on the few days afterwards to make up for it.

Your body stocks and uses or expends calories as needed over time, not strictly in the space of 24 hours.

Enjoy your dessert!!

I like this idea! I am going to do that next time and even exercise extra while on it :D
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Keep doing this and you'll see for yourself:)
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am a locusts when it comes to that time of the month, but I substitute it with Frozen non-fat yogurt. Not sure if they have those Yogi places around you. Instead of going over, you can maybe eat a little less of your other meals to fit the chocolate in. Most of the time, I try not to give in to the craving by doing something else, or making a bowl of veggies topped with Balsamic Vinegar.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Same issue. For some reason, drinking hot liquid helps me feel 'satisfied.' Maybe some good tea or no sugar added hot choco will do the trick?
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    Frozen banana chunks + blender = amazing ice cream!

I still think you should eat your favorite treats, just budget for them. But seriously try banana ice cream, it's fantastic. Add chocolate chips to it! And peanut butter! Eat it for breakfast!
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    At that time of month, all bets are off. I go way, way over my calories (I mean by over 1000!!!) during p.m.s. for several days a month. So far, I've still lost 30 pounds and am halfway to my goal weight despite this once-a-month mayhem. With all the hormones and cramps and inconvenience to deal with, the last thing you need is diet ice cream. Go berserk. It's the time of the month not to have to worry or feel bad about anything!
  • holothuroidea
    Options

Enjoy your dessert!!

I like this idea! I am going to do that next time and even exercise extra while on it :D

I'm so glad I could be helpful!
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually eat less during the day, or eat SUPER healthy so I have calories left over for my desserts. :)
    Also, try out different teas. I found this green tea that I'm addicted to right now... I've learned to sub that for desserts. Once you can get your brain to realize that a really great tea can satisfy your want for something extra, you'll find it easy to drink a nice cup o tea at the end of the day instead of heavy desserts. You wouldn't be on this website if this wasn't important to you. So choose the healthier options! You're worth it and you'll feel better about yourself after. :D Good luck!
  • qtpiez4000
    Options
    At that time of month, all bets are off. I go way, way over my calories (I mean by over 1000!!!) during p.m.s. for several days a month. So far, I've still lost 30 pounds and am halfway to my goal weight despite this once-a-month mayhem. With all the hormones and cramps and inconvenience to deal with, the last thing you need is diet ice cream. Go berserk. It's the time of the month not to have to worry or feel bad about anything!
    That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you for sharing that!! :D
  • qtpiez4000
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips guys and I will definitely try that banana ice cream!! Very helpful tips! I'll just do some extra cardio if I eat over :D haha
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Skinny Cow makes a good 100 calorie ice cream
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Ew! Diet ice cream? WHY!? Let's keep the treats treat-y, ok?

What's next? Diet cake? Diet cookies? Diet soda?

Oh wait... :P

Honestly- the skinny cow ice cream is FABULOUS. I don't know if it's actually "diet" or if its just in a good portion to limit the calories. Seriously- Its the most delicious 140 calories ever consumed.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a few hundred extra calories a day for 2-3 days right around that time. I'm still under my maintenance, eating at a deficit, and ALLOWING myself those extra calories is better than telling myself NO! NO MATTER WHAT YOUR HORMONES ARE DOING YOU STILL HAVE TO BE PERFECT!!! because let's face it... none of us are always going to be perfect, so why not build that into the system? I know It's going to be too hard to resist, and I also know that those extra calories are not going to derail my efforts... so isn't it much nicer to have them and be able to feel good about it, than to have them anyway and feel guilty and like a failure.

A single serving of most REAL ice cream is between 275-350 calories.. TOTALLY acceptable!
    5 pieces of Dove Dark Chocolate Promises are 210 calories

There is nothing wrong with a treat, unless you are the type of person for whom one small treat leads to a binge.
  • Angela_BB40
    Angela_BB40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I took a 1/4 measuring cup and scooped out some chocolate ice cream. It was just enough to satisfy my cravings and the calories were minimal.
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try Healthy Choice Fudge bars, they taste amazing and only 100 cals!