Eating lots of fruit.. too much sugar?

Options
lbdc05
lbdc05 Posts: 32 Member
For the past few months I've been eating extremely healthy. I eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables. However, while tracking my success I ALWAYS seem to go over my daily recommend intake of sugar. I don't really eat any processed foods, so pretty much ALL of my sugar intake is coming directly from fruit. Should I try to not eat as much fruit, or is it okay to go over RDI when you are consuming fresh fruits.

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just ignore sugar and switch it for something else.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) I wouldn't worry about going over MFP's sugar allowance defaults, especially if you're in a caloric deficit.
    2) Fruit is healthy, enjoy it.
    3) To my knowledge there is no RDI/RDA for sugar intake (if I'm wrong on that, I'd like to see it, srs). All I'm aware of is a recommended upper limit set by the American heart association based on discretionary intake and rather heavy assumptions as to how people might spend those discretionary calories.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Is it working for you? If so don't change it.
  • lbdc05
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! :)

And, it is working for me. I just really want to be healthy. I know that anyone can lose weight, even while doing it an unhealthy way. But my ultimate goal is to be fit so I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything that I need to.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You can change the setting too, I did it cause I love me some fruit!
  • lbdc05
    Options
    How do you do that?
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I say cootos to you healthy fresh veggies and fruits as much as you can, if you just ate that and nothing els for the rest of Your life you would probley be so healthy, it comes fro the earth my goal one day is to go all raw, and only eat fruits n veggies RAW ofcourse with a few nuts and seeds, :
    _
  • Anzsjela
    Anzsjela Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To switch from Sugar to something else you might want to track instead: Settings / Diary Settings
    To manually change goal values for sugars, proteins, etc: Goals / change goals / custom
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where your sugar comes from. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stop eating fruit because of sugar because pretty much eating two pieces of fruit will put you over. If you're eating donuts and you go over then thats when you need to watch sugar.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Guess what! I used to be on Weight Watchers (works), but I didn't want to keep paying a monthly fee. It can get expensive. This app does almost exactly the same thing and it's free! Awesome! Anyway, on the Weight Watchers plan, all fruits are zero points. That means you can eat how ever much you want and you don't have to deduct from your allowed points per day. Because of that, I don't even add it to my mfp diary. Fruit is great for us so why even waste points/calories on them on the diary.
  • SylwekG
    SylwekG Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem, and this post actually helped me clarify that eating fruit even though it goes over the sugar intake on MFP, is alright as long as it's coming from a good place ;)
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    oh wow. If it worked like weight watchers that would save me like 300-400 calories a day! I want to believe sooo bbadddddd.. lol
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't pay attention to my sugar because almost all of it comes from natural sources (I love me some fruit too!) and I don't have any blood sugar issues.

If I don't have at least 1 banana per day, I am a cranky woman.
  • ColleenDeBeasi
    ColleenDeBeasi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great for you! If you are worried about it, why not try to focus on lower glycemic fruits, and make sure they're paired with protein. Think berries and greek yogurt- it will keep you fuller longer. Tropical fruits/melons tend to have a higher glycemic index, so some may want to avoid. If you've found something that works, just stick with it!

Another poster said that they don't track their fruits, because WW makes it free. I would NOT do this with MFP. WW "penalizes" other foods, to help guide you towards making healthier choices with the free fruits. I was shocked when I started counting calories how relatively low calorie some foods were- specifically foods higher in fat (like nuts), that were high point. Alcohol is another good example of this- two glasses of wine might blow through a quarter of my points for the day, but are only about 200 calories.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Depends what your concern is. I have a strong family history of diabetes which is something I'm working really hard not to have this as part of my life. I know it sounds like fruit is healthy, it should be unlimited but its not unlimited for diabetics. Although its much better to go over on sugar cause you ate an apple than a candy bar. However, that sugar from an apple is still very real sugar to a diabetic. If that's not your concern than no worries, but I've swapped a couple of my fruits per day to vegetables, as they have much less if not no sugar.
  • sara0ann
    sara0ann Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! :)

And, it is working for me. I just really want to be healthy. I know that anyone can lose weight, even while doing it an unhealthy way. But my ultimate goal is to be fit so I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything that I need to.

This.
    I absolutely love this attitude! I feel the same way!
    I spend so much time (probably too much time) looking for information to help me along the way. If I'm going to do this journey, Im'ma do it right!