Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

innocenceportrayed
innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I have extremely bad bones, for being only 19, my bones pop and crack everytime I move and I've been told by more than one doctor it's unhealthy and it's the beginning (or I will have soon) of arthritis. Well, I've always been like that, my mother had the same problem, she poped and cracked everytime she tried to move too. Anyway, to the point. My knees are extremely weak, along with my back, they're the worst in my body, so for me to try to exercise my thighs doing lunges, it hurts them really bad, to the point of doing 2 sets of 10 lunges makes me almost cry. Is there ANYTHING else besides lunges that will give me the same workout that lunges do/would for my thighs?

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    how about squating...does that hurt? Not heavy weight...of course. BTW...one of the best treatments for arthritis is exercise.
  • hslobar
    hslobar Posts: 12
    I have really bad knees too! I'm supposed to do lunges and squats as part of my physical therapy to help them, but some days that just doesn't work. I do leg lifts with my quads tensed, laying on my back and then on each side, bottom leg and top leg. You can add ankle weights if you want. I also balance on one leg with my knee slightly bent. I know these things don't tone and build muscle as quickly as lunges and squats, but they also don't tear up my knees at much either. And, at least for my particular problem, they help strengthen my knees. Hope this helps!
  • crobby
    crobby Posts: 29 Member
    Maybe the elliptical at a high resistance?
  • innocenceportrayed
    I know the best thing for it is exercise, but all I can think about is everyone around me who is twice my age and has no problem doing them. I don't like leaving the gym in a hurry because i'm in so much pain I dont want anyone to see my tears. It kinda sucks. And I know it'll get better with time, it's just hard to get past this phase for the next.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I have knee issues from time to time, no surgeries yet or anything but they do crack and pop. I was told to NOT do lunges and that sort of thing as it's bad for both the back (unless you have an extremely strong core you have worked on over time) and the knee joints.

I don't know if you have this available in your area but I've found using a pool to really benefit my joints. The gym I was at had a lap pool and also a warm water pool so I would spend some time walking in there and then take water aerobic classes in the lap pool. Pool workouts can REALLY help to lessen the impact on your joints. Doing land aerobics can be harsh on them.

That's what was shared with me but sounds like others have had different experiences,

Becca

OH! How could I forget, I also had back surgery on L4-5 in Sept 09 and that's when my PT person told me no lunges even in water.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    You could try water aerobics,
    Also there is an exercise on one of my videos where ya lay on your back with legs straight up in the air, take them out to the sides as far as ya can, then come back to top and cross ankles four times. I think I do like 16 reps each set, and can totally feel it in my inner and outter thighs.
    My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and I can and have popped every bone in my body for as long as I can remember, even in grade school. At times, I can't get out of bed until I pop my back, neck, and hips. I feel your pain, but the more active you are, the easier it will get.
    The leg lifts mentioned should help work the same area too. As long as you are not putting your weight on top of the movement, as with lunges, your joints should feel better about it
  • innocenceportrayed
    The gym i use is the local Y so it does have a pool but since it's summer time in florida, it's kinda over run with children right now, even in the early morning there's never room to get in, so i'm forced to the gym.

i'm new to the elliptical, but I did try it and it only hurts my knees bad if I speed up too fast and lose balance and come down on the ball of my foot wrong.

It hurts when I run on the treadmill, but not as bad as if I'm doing lunges, but everyone says the lunges are the best for working your inner thighs. I know there are other exercises like the figure 8 and such but they're apparently not the best
  • HealthyChanges2010
    The gym i use is the local Y so it does have a pool but since it's summer time in florida, it's kinda over run with children right now, even in the early morning there's never room to get in, so i'm forced to the gym.

i'm new to the elliptical, but I did try it and it only hurts my knees bad if I speed up too fast and lose balance and come down on the ball of my foot wrong.

It hurts when I run on the treadmill, but not as bad as if I'm doing lunges, but everyone says the lunges are the best for working your inner thighs. I know there are other exercises like the figure 8 and such but they're apparently not the best
    Hon, I realize it's important to work the on the inner thighs but coming from someone a bit older and now wiser things you do now that effect your joints will likely make them far worse later and later can come quickly. :ohwell: I hear the the bikes at the gym are pretty good for knee issues as the pressure is less. It'll be good when they kids head back to school and you can have more use of the Y's pool, even simply walking the length of it will do wonders for your joints.

There's tons of inner thigh workouts on Youtube and there's a thread floating around here from a couple days ago I'll see if I still have in my topics. Please be careful! If it hurts, stop! You don't want to be on the sidelines because of doing something that causes more injury, trust me on that:wink::flowerforyou:

I'll bump that thread and you can see what you think of some of those workouts someone posted. Do you do any strength training? There are some great machines that will help work the inner thighs, might check in with someone at the gym and see if they can point them out to you.:happy:

Good luck :)
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    I have extremely bad bones, for being only 19, my bones pop and crack everytime I move and I've been told by more than one doctor it's unhealthy and it's the beginning (or I will have soon) of arthritis. Well, I've always been like that, my mother had the same problem, she poped and cracked everytime she tried to move too. Anyway, to the point. My knees are extremely weak, along with my back, they're the worst in my body, so for me to try to exercise my thighs doing lunges, it hurts them really bad, to the point of doing 2 sets of 10 lunges makes me almost cry. Is there ANYTHING else besides lunges that will give me the same workout that lunges do/would for my thighs?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/102936-inner-thigh-workouts
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    I did PT for my knees. I was told not to do lunges. Actually, the reason I did PT was because I have Patella Femor Syndrome... My outer thigh muscles tend to pull my knee cap outwards and my inner thigh muscles are not strong enough to keep my knee cap cenrered. In other words, all my PT was about the inner thigh.

If you can get you doctor to write you a referral for PT and get it covered, DO IT!

But this is what I was taught to do. Lay on your side with the lower leg straight out and the leg on top crossed over so that the foot is flat on the floor infront of your lower knee. Gently raise and lower the straight leg. Repeat on the other side. Here is a video... http://www.ehow.com/video_2358783_do-inner-thigh-exercises.html
    This isolates the inner thigh. Increase reps as you get stronger. And always work the outer thigh equally so that there is no tugging on the knee cap. Trust me, it hurts.

I was also put on an eliptical and stationary bike. Plus there was this electro thing that they connected to my inner thigh to make it move. I didn't like that so much. I did like the massage, which is why if you can get PT, I highly recommend it!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Unfortunately I have no health insurance so going to the doctor is out of the question. Although I have heard of that exercise and I've seen it in a youtube video--definitely going to try it.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Sorry to hear you don't have insurance. I'm in that boat too. Spend my whole savings on medical bills this year. Sucks.

The exercise is awesome. It really helped me alot!

Good luck to ya:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.