Heart Rate Issue?

Options
If your heart rate goes above 180 while exercising is that bad? - causes chest pain and breathing difficulty + lightheadedness = what is this? Grrrrrr it's frustrating when I'm trying to improve my run and this holds me back :/

I'm 5'10" and weigh 193lbs. I am by no* account lazy. I am active in sports. I made it through basic training for the army. I still struggle with this issue..... what is it?!

Replies

• W0lfReaper
    W0lfReaper Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It feels like asthma but it is not asthma
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    you should see a doctor about it.
  • W0lfReaper
    Options
    i have and he thought it was asthma but the tests came back negative? :/
  • W0lfReaper
    Options
    im at a loss because i really would like to improve my fitness
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Your max heart rate is 192 you should be working out no more than approx 80% of that which is 153. Target HR should be 60 to 80% of your max.
  • needsalife3
    needsalife3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do the symptoms only come on with exercise? Do they go away when you stop exercising or slow down? Sounds like you might need to see a cardiologist.
  • Mads1997
    Options
    please don't self diagnose from the internet. Just go to your GP and tell him/ her what is happening and if needed ask for a referral to a cardiologist.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you heart may just not be strong enough to do what you want to do. It's only muscle in your body that never gets a break. Cardio is like strength training for your heart You wouldn't try lifting 200 pounds in the beginning but if you wanted to you could build to it. :)
  • W0lfReaper
    Options
    Yes , it only happens when i exercise - mostly running,, i feel really awful when i run and then it gets bad sometimes if i dont stop or slow down,, when i stop running - my run is like a jog and it puts me in distress,, when i stop i improve and im okay but if i keep going it feels very dangerous.

I have been to the doctor - he hasnt said much and i will call him again.
  • W0lfReaper
    Options
    ive been running for awhile and my times keep decreasing.

In basic training my improvements on my 2 mile were very minimal compared to everyone else and i was working just as hard if not harder and eating good.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Assuming it is not a heart issue, and definitely get that checked first, maybe try running with a trainer or someone who can watch you. I have an old shoulder injury that caused me to slouch and when I ran while slouching I would get weird chest pains etc... I also had excruciating shoulder pain as the muscle spasmed around the nerve (bad enough that I would have a friend stand on my shoulder while I was laying down just to relieve some of the pain).

Again, definitely see if you can rule out heart issues but some kind of posture or gait issue could cause this kind of problem. Or you could just make sure that your heart rate stays low or do something like running until your heart rate is at a certain level and then walking until it is lower then bumping it back up again which might help improve your cardio in general.
  • W0lfReaper
    Options
    That is awful to hear. I am glad you were able to improve though. I run standing straight up and my arms stiff at waist level, like a normal runner, i try to be aware of not clenching my fists. I am much better at sprinting very short distances. Perhaps if i did slow long distance like you said that would improve the issue and also like all of you said build a stronger heart muscle. Appreciate all the help. I would like to hear how everyone else runs! im also flat footed.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    That is awful to hear. I am glad you were able to improve though. I run standing straight up and my arms stiff at waist level, like a normal runner, i try to be aware of not clenching my fists. I am much better at sprinting very short distances. Perhaps if i did slow long distance like you said that would improve the issue and also like all of you said build a stronger heart muscle. Appreciate all the help. I would like to hear how everyone else runs! im also flat footed.

Yeah, it was only a little bit of a slouch, it took a physical therapist to figure out what was going on. I just had to concentrate on keeping my shoulder blades together while I ran for a while until it became more natural.