Can anyone help provide some motivation? (:

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Michelle and today is my first time on this site! I'm very excited to start this new journey, hopefully rightfully so :D I have always gained and lost weight really easily, but I am hoping to make exercise a lifestyle but I need some friends to help me along the way! I have tried to log my progress before, but I tend to get lazy and give up a couple days later...

I am a 19 year old college female and I am an English major. Books are my guilty obsession and I drink copious amounts of tea! I am also fairly introverted, so I don't mind staying away from the world and reading all day.

However, I would like to lead a more active lifestyle... I enjoy to play tennis and I used to be on the team back in high school! I also enjoy taking walks so I am hoping to do that more frequently (:

Anyways, that's a little something about me! I hope that some of you can become my motivation buddies and I would love any advice that is offered! Thanks everyone! (:

Replies

• jeanineslove
    Options
    I am also looking for motivators! I do not get much motivation from home/friends so I am trying to get motives somewhere else. So lets do our best to motivate each other :smile: I tend to get really lazy and say "oh well" really easily. It is funny that you say you drink tea all the time... That is totally me! I drink tea like it is going out of style! I am constantly drinking it! I :heart: it! Anyways, I will do my best to try and be a motivator!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I love tea! (and coffee too). I just recently cut back on it because I can't drink it without a good amount of sugar...

Feel free to add me, I log in every day.
  • michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @jeanineslove Thank you for your support and concern!! (: I'm glad I found a fellow tea drinker. It is great for our health and metabolism haha! Lets motivate each other! I don't even know how that works though lol... Any tips??

@hexagedra Hi, nice to meet you!! I recently just got into coffee and, when I started, I doused it with sugar and cream! Not very good for me, I presume... Now, I just try to drink tea and black coffee when I need that extra zest. I have convinced myself it is not that much different than tea haha xD I will add you, let's keep each other accountable!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Michelle, I see that you use MFP's standard calculation that puts you at 1200 cals/day. I recommend that you use the BMR / TDEE method instead.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm Tiffany. I could use some motivation too. Feel free to add me as well. I also have found that I love tea! I used to like coffee a lot, but tea is just hitting the spot these days. Here is a little about me and what I need motivation with....

I'm 26 and live in the middle of North Carolina. The seasons change like the time on a clock here. I'm an analytical chemist that works 3rd shift. I'm also in school to get another degree. Third shift actually works perfect for my life. I eat my "big meal" of the day when I first get up (that would be dinner time for the rest of the world). I feel better this way than eating a big meal and going to bed a few hours later. I'm very busy these days!!

So here's my problem... I'm trying to like running. I already run 4 days a week while at work, but I still hate it. I have my iPod with songs I love to listen to, but I still just can't wait for the run to be over. Thoughts/ideas?
  • michellewong699
    Options
    @Hexahedra Thanks for the suggestion! I am very slow with computers for some reason, so I am learning to read all the information on this site (: I believe it is suggesting that I am not eating enough calories in a day, so I will adjust accordingly!

@tnsumner Hey Tiffany! Its great to meet you! (: Wow, you are such a busy lady! I agree with you on eating the big meal when you wake, as opposed to when you're about to sleep. I stopped night binging because I found out how sluggish I felt in the morning, as if I didn't sleep too much or too well... Also, I live in California where we basically only have summers and winters lol!
    I know what you mean with the running... I hate it so much! I have ZERO endurance and have always hated running. My boyfriend is very into and so is my best friend so that helps a lot! They lightly tease me when I whine about it and its a loving push to motivate me to at least try.
    You can try looking into the "Couch to 5K" program. It is a widely-known program that can get you from a couch potato to running 3miles with ease. My aunt and a couple of my friends did it and they have even participated in marathons after! I am going to try to do this with my boyfriend as my coach, but I am not starting until April 7th. From now until then, I am planning on walking on hilly areas to build a little strength and endurance before I start applying the jogging.

Let me know what you think! If you want, we can try to match our programs together and provide our motivation that way! If not, I'd love to be involved anyways (:
  • gracehackett92
    Options
    Hi everyone! I could also use some motivation!
    My friends are already in shape & my boyfriend doesn't care to join me in my health journey!
    I'm 20 yrs old & I have a beautiful 6 month old daughter named Lilah :)
    I'm currently a stay at home mom, stuck in an upstairs apartment so it's tough trying to lose this baby weight!
    Any motivating friends would be awesome! :)
  • dfos925
    dfos925 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey gracehackett9,

Let me tell you, I do remember those days of being stuck in an Apartment after the birth of a little one, a good motivational thing for you to do would be put on some really good music, have your little one join you as far as listening and exercising with the music. Even exercising with your little one will not only be fun, but motivational, the bonding with baby will really be so good. I use to do this with mine and let me tell you the music, the exercising and having them watch and join is really a blessing. This really put me back into shape and fast. Make a habit of it, stick with it do it at least every other day and you will see the weight coming off. Floor exercises are the best. Hope this helps you. - D
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Let me get my fairy dust...
  • michellewong699
    Options
    @gracehackett9 Hi! Its nice to meet you! Wow, it must be tough to want to do so much in terms of fitness, but to have no means of doing it! I actually also live with my boyfriend in an upstairs apartment, although we do not have a child to care for. Before I moved in with him, I used to do 200 jumping jacks in the morning and it would maintain my weight. Well, I can't do that now unless I want noise complaints from our cranky neighbors downstairs lol! (:

I would suggest doing some circuit training at home that doesn't require any equipment. This is what I do when I can't leave the house for whatever reason. I lose motivation easily when it comes to working out so I turn on a TV show to take my attention away from the "burn" (I haven't learned to like it yet). You are also probably burning a lot of calories just from moving around, caring for your daughter, and doing housework! Keep that in mind and exaggerate your movements! It may feel silly, but a little does go a long way.

I wish you luck on your journey and you definitely will get the motivation from me! This positive (:
  • Footballisdashit
    Options
    Good luck with your goals! Feel free to add me.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Sorry to rain on parades here, but motivation comes from within. No one can help motivate you, that is all on you. Perhaps there are people in your life that inspire you, but only you can motivate yourself out of the books and off the couch and to the gym.

That being said, I have several MFPeeps who are inspirational to me because of their hard work, determination, and general kick @ss attitudes. But I motivate myself.
  • Footballisdashit
    Options
    Sorry to rain on parades here, but motivation comes from within. No one can help motivate you, that is all on you. Perhaps there are people in your life that inspire you, but only you can motivate yourself out of the books and off the couch and to the gym.

That being said, I have several MFPeeps who are inspirational to me because of their hard work, determination, and general kick @ss attitudes. But I motivate myself.

I second this.
    Seriously the best way to get motivated is through those hard core workout videos on youtube and it all comes from within.
  • michellewong699
    Options
    @Footballisdas Thanks for the request! (: I would love to aid each other on our journey!

@redheaddee Don't worry, we are all in positive spirits here so no one needs to take that raincheck (: Motivation definitely does come from within, but if that weren't the case, why would we all have made accounts on this website anyways? I'm sure that the people here who ask for support already are motivated themselves in their hearts. Personally, I have a hard time keeping myself accountable, but I find that having friends helps a lot. I'm glad that you can motivate yourself so I wish you luck on your journey!
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @Wongboyui_ I haven't tried to C25K app, but a few friends have. I'm already pretty far into running for a beginner's program. I'd love to hear how your running is coming though!! My next 5k is in 3 weeks. I'm REALLY hoping to be around 30 minutes for this run. Fingers crossed!!!!

How was everyone's Easter?
  • xxanishxx
    xxanishxx Posts: 212
    Options
    hi_o_881823.jpg