Anyone have a good kelp/seaweed recipe?

Options
Wanting to add some seaweed/kelp into my diet, but CLUELESS about how to fix it. Anyone have any recipes??

Replies

• leannehoggdodd
    Options
    I think i would make a nice chinese style soup (i know soup!!!)

1l chicken stock (
    2 tbsp oyster sauce
    2 tbsp hoisin sauce
    1 tbsp fish sauce
    large piece fresh root ginger , shredded into thin matchsticks
    300g peeled king prawns (raw would be better, but cooked are fine)
    Sea weed - thinly shreaded
    2 sachets straight-to-wok noodles
    4 spring onions , finely sliced

In a wok or large saucepan, bring the stock to the boil. Stir the sauces into the stock, then add the ginger. Simmer for a moment, then add the prawns: if raw, simmer for 2 mins until they turn pink; if cooked, add together with the seaweed, then cook for 2 mins more until just wilted.
    Slip all the noodles into the broth, then gently stir to loosen them. Bring the liquid back to a simmer, then cook for 2 mins more to warm them through. Scatter with spring onions and serve straight from the wok, using tongs for the noodles and a ladle for the broth.
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    Or you could do a teriyaki salmon with with spiced greens? you could use pak choi, seaweed any other leafy greens, wilt them in a frying pan with some chili, lime and garlic - yum!!!

x
  • soulshine23
    soulshine23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    you can easily make a seaweed salad that will keep in the fridge for a week or so- kind of like the bright green stuff you may see at a sushi restaurant, but so much better for you when you make it yourself.

the key is to have a pressure cooker. soak and rinse your seaweed of choice (we use wakame),
    pressure cook it with a bit of water until it comes to high pressure, turn it off, rinse the seaweed, and then add your vinaigrette of choice- go easy on the oil :)
    we use rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, chili flakes, mirin, tamari, white pepper. adjust flavors to your palette.

you can add other fresh vegetables to the basic seaweed salad each time you have it- add some crunchy carrot slivers, cukes, lettuces, mushrooms whatever. or just eat it straight up... so full of minerals!

another way to get seaweed into your diet is to get the granules and sprinkle them on as you would salt or other table seasoning. dulse is a good one for this.

also, you can add kombu to any soup or pot of beans or anything you are simmering away for dinner. kombu is a natural tenderizer and makes beans so supple and delicious. don't go crazy with the amount you add, or everything you eat will taste like seaweed, just a leaf or two to random meals each week, and you won't even notice it's in there.

and you can eat straight up smoked dulse right out of the bag.
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I order kelp noodles on vitacost.com - then stirfry them in wok with mixed veggies, some chicken broth, lots of fresh ginger and garlic then season with soy, hot sauce as needed.... Makes a soupy stir fry with yummy flavors and lots of good veggies . Can add protein too if desired :)
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the seaweed crisps, or nori chips as my kids call them. I'll bake up a whole package of nori, and it only lasts a couple of days around my house.