Still look thinner in my head than in photos

Options
Not sure if anyone else gets this, when I look in the mirror I think I look good, although I did when I was big, but when I take a photo it never looks as good as the picture in my head. :grumble:

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    well, youve obvuously got dedication... you'll reach your desired physique... it may involve adding some muscle and then leaning out again... all in time my friend.. you;ve done a great job.. just keep going...
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yep... my camera and mirror can never seem to agree on what I really look like.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    same here. not with just weight either, I think I look better overall in the mirror than in any photos x3
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I went through this for years when I was obese. I would dress up at parties and think I look great and then later look at photos and cry because of my double chin or stomach sticking out.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me I think I look ok then I catch a glimpse of me in a window or someone takes a picture and I'm horrified that I still look like carp.
  • Wombay
    Wombay Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Photos are just fixed moments in time, with good or bad lighting, angles and just facial expressions it can change a lot from reality... or do you think beyonce really looks like this:
    weird-beyonce-face-superbowl-derp-13602815150.jpg
  • darkeyedfish
    darkeyedfish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ... or do you think beyonce really looks like this:
    weird-beyonce-face-superbowl-derp-13602815150.jpg

Excuse me while I try to get this coffee out of my nose! LMFAO
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am always doubting how I look because I don't feel like I really know which one to believe, the mirror or the photos. And to go and buy new clothes is awful. I have begun taking my 20 year old daughter with me because I am worried that something I think looks good really looks horrible. I decided not to cave into my fears the other day. Bought an outfit I thought was adorable... but way outside of the box for me. Just wore it yesterday and got lots of compliments. It reminded me that we are our own worst critics.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I'm the opposite. Clothes make me look better in pictures an dthe mirror was never my friend. I still hate dressing in front of one in the bathroom
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    A photograph is two dimensional which makes it tricky already. The next problem is lighting. Overweight people have fewer of those subtle indents and valleys and lines in the topography of their faces. This is another way we perceive thin or fat in a two dimensional pictures, by noticing the shadows. But, if you use a flash or have a lot of light washing out the shadow, it creates the illusion of more fat.

This is why people say the camera adds ten pounds who work on sets with tons of lighting. Those of us who make home digital films don't have the same problem.

There is also the problem that, when you look in a mirror you are seeing a reversed image. When you look at a photo, you are seeing right on right and left on left. This looks very different.