over eating triggers...

Options
2»

Replies

• lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    breathing, does that count ? I have so many , I have seen several familiar triggers, Diet soda was my real trigger, then any artificial sweeteners or products with, cut them out completely has helped tremendously!! My personal trainer turned me on to almonds, pistachios and dates half cup almonds, half cup pistachios and two dates, That is my emergency snack box when I am hungry in the am it is nits and water with Lemon, in the after noon it's nuts and a date, the second Date is for late afternoon after a work out or just starving before dinner and of course as Benny says Lemon n Water In a very thick 75 year old Italian accent . he always says eat just a few nuts at a time and drink lemon water wait 5 minutes if you are still hungry repeat , most times after 5 almonds and 5 pistachios and a cup of lemon water I'm good for another hour or two and keep the triggers at bay.
    if you are like me a box of free donuts at work is like trying to talk a jumper from taking a leap of the ledge, so LOTS of mental training and I have literally walk out of meeting went into my office and grabbed my emergency snack and water , it has really help reset my brain , it is so much easier to say no to the triggers when you have a belly full of water !! hope this helps !
    o yeah, go back look at your diary, see what you ate just before your binge and the first food of your binge, then ask Why did I eat that ? that will help identify if it id food or stress or whatever!!:smile:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If you eat small meals every few hours it will keep the hunger under control. Make sure to eat plenty of protein because you will stay full for longer.

Some people are just the opposite. The more times they eat, the more they overeat. That's part of the attraction of eating only one or two meals a day. In addition, you don't have severe hunger pangs.

Boredom is my trigger. Unfortunately, the consciousness that I'm eating out of boredom isn't always enough to stop it. The best thing is for there to be no tempting food around. But I can't always control that.
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Being stressed! Also just seeing sweets - makes me start craving them and makes it hard to resist. It's best for me when I don't have any at my house- out of sight out of mind (sort of). I really hate when the secretaries here have candy sitting out in bowls that I have to walk by. I just try not to look so I won't get tempted :) Sometimes it's also hard not to mindlessly snack if I'm bored and hanging out on the couch catching up on my DVR... I try to keep busy, even just reading a magazine and then it's a win win - I'm active AND eating less!

The office junk freakin kills me! Every other day with that crap! We don't have candy bowls, but 9/10 of us could care less what they eat therefore are inconsiderate of others. If I didn't work in an office, I'd prob lose ten pounds in a week. and people say...then just don't eat it, but they obviously don't understand overeaters/bingers habits. Some of us just can't eat normal.
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    3-letter acronyms seem trigger me to overeat. Primarily PMS and TOM.

Exactly, and unfortunately, that's 2 weeks outta the month!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Stress and feelng sad make me want to eat a lot but also when I am sleep deprived. That is the worst! When I am tired I don't give a $&!# about calories.
  • brandivestal
    brandivestal Posts: 2,637 Member
    Options
    Boredom, Stress, and Sugar (even artificial sweeteners!) I have cut out all sugar and artificial sweeteners except for fruit (read ingredients carefully) and I have done so much better with my cravings. My family went to the mall the other day they all went to Godiva and bought chocolate (ate it in front of me), they had fries and ice cream for lunch and I ate a grilled chicken salad with no croutons, no bacon bits, and light dressing. For dinner they had pizza and I stuck to my chicken and veggies! It is not always easy, but I try to stay strong because I know if I give in one time I am going to just go all out!