Celiac Disease

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
Okay... I'm not sure where to put this... so excuse me if I'm wrong.

But to the real reason I'm here: I need your guys' help this something.

Lately (actually... since November... though my symptoms have decreased while I take medication), I've been having problems with bowel movements. To put it bluntly, I'm so constipated I can barely go to the bathroom. Even when I would hit my fiber at 40 grams and water at 12 cups, I was still constipated. I've had bowel movements 2.5 inches wide (see my extra note). Also, I've developed a sort of rash (I'm not sure what to call it). But basically, I have these outbreaks on my body that itch... and then they go away. The rash started about a month ago. Another thing is that I'm tired all the time... no matter how much sleep I get. Lastly, I've got really dry skin.

I started researched my symptoms, and I came up with Celiac Disease multiple times. My cousin has it, but it seems like she's really different from me.

I mentioned the situation to my mom, and she told me there was no way that I could have Celiac Disease. She told me that I've spent my whole life overweight, and that people with Celiac Disease have a hard time gaining weight.

I'm so confused as to what is going on with my body. I don't want to visit my doctor ($$). I've considered cutting out gluten for two weeks to see if that helps. Would two weeks be long enough? I'm not sure if I could go much longer, considering I don't really have a say in what food is bought.

*Note: For the constipation, I currently take Miralax every morning, and I've been taking it since... probably the end of November. It's not a long term solution, and I hate to be using it like one. Lately, I've been having problems again with the bowel movement... I think I've developed a tolerance to it or something.

Please please please, any suggestions? I'd really like to fix this problem. =) And thanks for listening/reading.

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Firstly, sorry you are having such a rubbish time!

The notion that you could not have coeliac disease because you have been overweight is ridiculous. Sure, people with coeliac disease who are not on a gluten free diet sometimes lose weight but you don't have to have had coeliac disease for your whole life, if it were a recent devlopment your weight would mean nothing... if that makes sense.

From the symptoms you describe, I think it is unlikely that coeliac disease is the problem. Ordinarily people with coeliac disease will present with severe pain and or diarrhoea rather than constipation.

I know that you have said it's too expensive to go to the doctor but I really think that is what you need. Cutting out gluten will not help you find out if you have coeliac disease because the change is so severe, ie the types of food you eat will change so how will you know it is gluten and not just a change that is helping? Sure, it would be good for it just to BE helping but why would you want to subject yourself to a life-long gluten free diet if you didn't have to?

Good luck!!
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    **THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL MEDICAL ADVICE. FOR REAL ANSWERS SEE YOUR DOCTOR**

That said:
    1) YES you can definitely build up a tolerance to laxatives. Your should try to find the real source of the problem rather than relying on laxatives all the time or the problem will get worse and your bowel will get sick :(

2) What's to lose from going on a gluten free diet for two weeks? That's a great way to see if you're sensitive to it.

3) I find that there are three Fs to pooping: Fiber, fluids and fat. Sounds like you're getting at least two of those, i'd just make sure you're getting all three. Also I like a cup of coffee in the morning to help my bowels, but that's just me =)

Where is the rash? Do you get rashes frequently? Have you changed anything like lotion/soap/laundry detergent/etc ?
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    **THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL MEDICAL ADVICE. FOR REAL ANSWERS SEE YOUR DOCTOR**

That said:
    1) YES you can definitely build up a tolerance to laxatives. Your should try to find the real source of the problem rather than relying on laxatives all the time or the problem will get worse and your bowel will get sick :(

2) What's to lose from going on a gluten free diet for two weeks? That's a great way to see if you're sensitive to it.

3) I find that there are three Fs to pooping: Fiber, fluids and fat. Sounds like you're getting at least two of those, i'd just make sure you're getting all three. Also I like a cup of coffee in the morning to help my bowels, but that's just me =)

Where is the rash? Do you get rashes frequently? Have you changed anything like lotion/soap/laundry detergent/etc ?

I'm getting fat in my diet, and trying to make it good fat too. And I'm definitely getting my coffee every morning (I take my Miralax with coffee).
    As for the rash, it's mainly on the back of my legs (my calves, specifically), but I've had it on my feet, my arms, my chest, and my private areas. I've had a rash once in my life, when I had an allergic reaction to something. I never get rashes... that's why this one was making me wonder. And no, we have not changed anything at all. Same soaps, same detergent, same dryer sheets, even the same toilet paper (and even checked to make sure the brands hadn't changed their formulas, which they haven't).
  • awbower76
    awbower76 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I have done a ton of research on Celiac. I suspect my daughter has a gluten intolerance (I suspected Celiac, but her blood test came back normal- but that doesn't mean she doesn't have it) and perhaps that I also have a gluten intolerance. Neither of us have diarrhea- we're both constipated. Athough diarrhea may be the more common of the elimination problems for Celiacs, it's certainly not the only one.

My daughter is only 3, so until I get a firm diagnosis or Celiac is totally ruled out by a biopsy, I won't put her on a gluten-free diet. However, since I'm an adult and can take it if I have to go back on gluten for a test, I've been on a GF diet for about 9 weeks. Let me tell you-- I will not go back to gluten on any sort of regular basis just because of what it has done for my constipation. I have not had a single episode of constipation since I've started. This is HUGE. I'm 34 and have been constipated all my life.

For comparison: I have always been very aware of what I eat, especially fiber. I'm also vegetarian, so you know I get plenty of fruits and vegetables. I would normally have between 35 and 40 grams of fiber a day and I was still constipated. Now I get the same amount of fiber, but obviously none of it is from wheat products.

I would suggest trying the GF diet for 4 weeks. I know it's tough when you're not the one buying the food, but you can still do it fairly painlessly. The easiest way is to cut out most processed foods!

Good luck- I'll be interested to see how it goes for you!
  • Annabelle_M
    Options
    I have nothing to add about the celiac disease but as for constipation, I know what works for my Irritable bowel. I take Magnesium Citrate nearly everyday, it was everyday but my bowels are finally working on a semi regular basis so I cut it back, with a large glass of water. You can get them at Walmart and I started out taking 1 and now up to 4 as my body adjusted, and let me tell you they work amazingly!! I have always been constipated but not with these. I swear by these. Good luck.