Sweets*

Options
Are currently my biggest downfall. I know I can get over it and not eat them so regularly, after all, I did it with pop. But for some reason, I just can't seem to kick them. I don't really think it's too bad to enjoy them once in awhile, but that's the problem, I want them EVERYday. Any pointers on how I can break off from that habit?

Thanks for any feedback,
T :)

Replies

• sammirust
    sammirust Posts: 83
    Options
    just curious why you feel the need to? just eat less and account for your sweet.
    like have A cookie at the end of the day. or A serving of ice cream. i have a sweet almost every day, i just try to keep it within my calorie goals for the day. if you restrict yourself from things like that completely you are only hurting yourself in the end.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to kick the craving you have to stop eating them for a good while. If you just want to limit them, work it into your weekly or daily calorie allowance.

Personally, I had to stop altogether because the cravings were controlling me. Now, I control the sweets.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't keep them in the house! That's the only way I can manage. I have no willpower when it comes to cookies.
  • blisser99
    blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I want them as well. So i buy the 3musketeers snack size bars. It's only 60cal a bar. My problem is I eat two or three.
  • BonjourLamour
    Options
    Sweets are my biggest downfall too. I have tried to replace them with healthier alternatives (nakd bars, low fat fruit yogurt, alpro desserts, low fat custard pots etc) or if I really want something I just try to fit it into my calorie allowance. I also have a low calorie hot chocolate every night so I don't crave chocolate bars, which I find very helpful. Take every day as it comes, and maybe treat yourself to something special every week or two, it's fine as long as it isn't a daily occurrence :heart:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Don't keep them in the house! That's the only way I can manage. I have no willpower when it comes to cookies.

Some people are in environments in which others buy sugary food.
  • paperangel87
    Options
    It's not that I want to completely cut out sweets, I like them and think it's silly to completely cut something out. Since that just makes me want it even more. That wasn't true with pop, but that's because I generally don't really enjoy pop. Sweets, on the other hand, are quite delicious. I just have them nearly everyday and feel that maybe that is too much. Especially when it takes up a few hundred of my daily calories. I think sweet should just be a treat here and there, not a daily thing. I'd much rather, instead, have something sweet every couple days or something. Either way, I just have the tendency to want them too much when I eat them regularly. I'd rather have it just be a craving here or there instead of the desire to have something sweet everyday.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    I do this. I account for 80% of healthy food and 20% of not "unhealthy." Even if I go over, I don't worry about it. I just try to do better the next time. My reasoning is that this is a lifestyle change and I can't stop "eating a lot of sweets" overnight. Even with this being said, I have read that Chromium Picolinate reduces sugar cravings. It a dietary supplement. You might research it if you want.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When you crave something sweet have you tried eating some fruit instead?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's not that I want to completely cut out sweets, I like them and think it's silly to completely cut something out. Since that just makes me want it even more. That wasn't true with pop, but that's because I generally don't really enjoy pop. Sweets, on the other hand, are quite delicious. I just have them nearly everyday and feel that maybe that is too much. Especially when it takes up a few hundred of my daily calories. I think sweet should just be a treat here and there, not a daily thing. I'd much rather, instead, have something sweet every couple days or something. Either way, I just have the tendency to want them too much when I eat them regularly. I'd rather have it just be a craving here or there instead of the desire to have something sweet everyday.

I'm not sure it's realistic for me to try to completely give up sweets, but I wouldn't mind going off them for a few weeks. I asked in another thread if anyone wanted to do a challenge, but there were no takers.
  • mjh0311
    mjh0311 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I want sweets everyday too. But I can't control myself when it comes to sugar. If I do eat sweets I will just buy one candy bar from the store or get one cookie from Panera. If I buy a package of cookies and bring them home I will eat them all in a day or two.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Like another poster mentioned, if you want to kick the habit, you have to cut them out completely for at least 3 weeks. Then you can try to incorporate them back into your eating plan once or twice a week. Set a day and stick to that. I know it REALLY sucks at first when you cut them out, but after that 3 week period (or longer even) you'll see that you don't really want them anymore and can then really evaluate if you "need" them in your life! Good luck!