is starbucks drinks & food really bad?

Options
I love the muesli yogurt there, but seriously, 30g sugar per one cup?
also, except american coffee, are the other drinks all bad for losing weight?

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a Starbucks or coffee house in a really long time. However, my mom and I were out shopping and I grabbed a bottled Starbucks vanilla frappucino out of the register cooler. Yeahhhhh... that's like 300 calories of just complete junk. That's why I don't go out for stuff like that anymore. I'd rather make a cup of hot or iced coffee at home in my Keurig and put a splash of creamer in it. Especially with the homemade iced coffee, you get that gourmet feeling without the gourmet price and definitely without the calories. 300 calorie frap that costs at least $4 a serving or 35 calorie homemade iced coffee that costs about 50 cents a serving? I'll take the homemade
  • StefieLou
    StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get skinny lattes all the time. I am not a big dairy person, so I find this a great way to get dairy into my diet. The calories count is about the same as a yogurt.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I still go to Starbucks maybe once a week. It's a habit that I can't quite give up. But, as with most stuff, everything in moderation. Also, I can't seem to make at home iced coffees/frappucinos as good as what you can get at a coffeehouse-place.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Does it fit into your calories and macros? Then it's not bad.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I get the skinny caramel macchiato which is 100 cals for the tall, also I get the oatmeal and use the dried fruit and nut packets but not the brown sugar maple one... Hope this helped ^_^
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's bad because Starbucks coffee is horrible and weak! I live in England and we have Caffe Nero and Costa which are soooo much better.

I think the food is bad because it is pre-made and full of all sorts of chemicals and preservatives. Plus it does seem to have stupid amounts of sugar and calories in it. When I go to a coffee shop I tend to get an americano with milk, or a skinny cappuccino. If I do have cake, i'd rather go to a nice, unique coffee shop where the cakes are homemade, not a chain coffee shop.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation :)
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loves going there, so we go quite a bit. I actually can't stand most of their stuff (don't like coffee), so I always get their hot chocolate. I get the tall size with skim milk and no cream. It's only 190 calories and tastes really good.

Honestly, as long as you're not going there everyday, I don't see anything wrong with the place. I mean, I think most things are good as long as they are in moderation.
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yes. 500 cal/drink??? id rather indulge in a hamburger
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The calories and sugar add up really quickly in coffee drinks, which is why (IMO) they are "bad". I love a good white chocolate mocha, but there's 350 calories in a 16 oz with nonfat milk. I have one a week as a treat on Saturday mornings, but I avoid going to coffee stands as a general rule (other than my treat), because its' really easy to get sucked into empty calorie foods and drinks.

Moderation. It's a beautiful thing.
  • hismommy2
    hismommy2 Posts: 40
    Options
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options

This. I get the skinny macchiatos usually once or twice a week and I'm still losing! You don't have to give everything up forever to get fit!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Log items into your diary and see how they fit your calorie/macronutrient goals and how they fit in what else you're consuming that day. Then make your decisions based on that.
  • beskinnyzoe
    Options
    thanks pals! what about the yogurt issue? 30g sugar in one cup is REALLY a lot but i seem to be unable to give up that tasty cup ><
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Starbucks is bad because their coffee tastes bad! They are good at making the nutrition info available for all their drinks and food. Look up the info and decide if it works for your goals.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I go Starbucks all the time, but now I order skinny vanilla lattes or teas (not tea lattes!) or mistos or lemonades... It's not *BAD* if you know what you're ordering and IIFYM, then all the better! :love: :drinker:
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    It's bad because Starbucks coffee is horrible and weak! I live in England and we have Caffe Nero and Costa which are soooo much better.

I think the food is bad because it is pre-made and full of all sorts of chemicals and preservatives. Plus it does seem to have stupid amounts of sugar and calories in it. When I go to a coffee shop I tend to get an americano with milk, or a skinny cappuccino. If I do have cake, i'd rather go to a nice, unique coffee shop where the cakes are homemade, not a chain coffee shop.

Cheers!
    I've never really cared for Starbucks. Their coffee is always bitter and exceptionally overpriced. I find I can get a better coffee for lower cost with fewer calories at other locations. (Yes, some of them chains) There used to be an amazing family run coffee shop here. You would order your coffee, they'd grind the beans (Oh that store smelled so good) and you could customize. They also had homemade daily specials of whatever the "mom" had baked the night before. Once they were gone, they were gone. It was amazing and my special treat. Unfortunately, the mall they were in raised the rent and they couldn't afford to stay. Especially since they'd moved a chain coffee vendor into a spot directly opposite them and all the kids who didn't understand REAL coffee would spend their money there.
    Still miss that place.:sad: And I NEVER buy products from the chain that put them out of business. And I do mean NEVER, neither does anyone in my family actually.
    Most of the time, I make my coffee at home. If I have dinner at my fave Italian restaurant, I'll have a coffee afterwards while others have dessert. It's an Italian thing, but the coffee has way fewer calories than the desserts. :wink:

I can justify coffee. If the world runs out of coffee, I'm out of here... :laugh: And, yes, I wish there were more local coffee shops around...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    thanks pals! what about the yogurt issue? 30g sugar in one cup is REALLY a lot but i seem to be unable to give up that tasty cup ><

View it as pudding and you're fine.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Moderation. It's a beautiful thing.

^^THIS
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Agreed. I occasionally get skinny lattes, sugar free. Their sugar free flavors are better than any other coffee place I have tried.
    I either fit it in my calories for the day or burn it to earn it.