Exercise Class Rules

Options
In the name of keeping my exercise routine from becoming boring, I decided to go to step aerobics this morning. When I got there a couple of people including the instructor asked me if I was sure I was in the right class. I said yes and got my step and fell in line. I barely made it through the class and the instructor told me that if I stick with it, I'll get it. The rest of the class is already well versed in the routine. Should I struggle through a few more classes or am I throwing everybody else off by stumbling through the steps? The upside? I was so busy trying to get the footwork that I didn't even notice that I has burned 400 calories (according to my HRM). Imagine what I could do if I could actually DO the entire routine! What do you guys think?

Replies

• amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    Stick with it.. Everybody is awkward their first couple of classes. Even if you take a class with a different instructor, they all do it a little differently so there is always a learning curve. Before you know it, you will be a pro and torching calories.
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    Stick with it.. Everybody is awkward their first couple of classes. Even if you take a class with a different instructor, they all do it a little differently so there is always a learning curve. Before you know it, you will be a pro and torching calories.
  • cynditoney
    cynditoney Posts: 90
    Options
    If you enjoyed it, definitely stick with it!! You will get it!! :flowerforyou:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Great job on mixing things up and trying something new. That alone is awesome. As someone that has been taking step class for two years, we aren't as "with it" as you might think. Whenever a new person comes into the class, I hardly notice once the class starts as I am trying my darndest not to fall on my butt. Even a seasoned stepper can miss a step. So keep with it. Not to discourage you, but it usually takes about 6 classes before you really start getting into it. But then once you do, it is an awesome workout and a lot of fun. You'll really get into it.
  • Stepfanatic
    Options
    Since I started doing step aerobics I've lost 84 pounds. In the beginning I could hardly make it through the class and would end up having to have a 'rest' when I got home from the gym. If you stick with it, it will become second nature. I went from the back of the class to the front row right beside the instructor and now I even add my own 'flair' to things like extra spins and the like. Step aerobics will do amazing things for your body, especially your legs. Keep persevering and you won't regret it :-)
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lulabellewoowoo. The instructor will normally go over the routine a little slower to make sure everyone gets the flow, but even the usuals miss a step or two. Don't worry about the other people in the class, just make sure that you completely place your foot on the step to prevent injury. That was my biggest problem for a while. Have fun! You will definitely burn some calories.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I guess I was just feeling a little self conscious b/c not only am I a newbie, I'm the heaviest in the class.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    If you feel even somewhat comfortable, stick with it! I give you major credit!

I went to my first spinning class over the winter. I was new to that gym, and had heard rave reviews about spinning and decided to give it a try. I walked in and purposely took a bike in the back row just to kind of lay low. About a minute into the class, the instructor stopped the music and the routine to shout "Hey are you new?" to me in the back- of course, everyone turned around and stared. :frown: Long story short, it was so embarrassing... it was bad enough that everyone now knew I had no clue what I was doing, but neither the instructor or anyone in the class made any effort at all to welcome me, help me adjust my bike correctly, or even ask my name for that matter. I'm not easily embarrassed, and am pretty "go with the flow" but I never, ever went back... it was mortifying and so unwelcoming, and I felt like "the new girl that didn't have a clue what to do" and everyone knew it :ohwell:

So, as long as you feel comfortable going back, I say go for it... you have nothing to lose. :flowerforyou: