Healthy Easter Dinner ideas

Options
Does anyone have any ideas or plans to have a clean and healthy Easter dinner? I am trying to break the tradition of ham, mac and cheese, etc. I was just curious as to what other people have planned......

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My father in law recently found out he is prediabetic. So, we're going to have a very healthy Easter dinner. I'm hosting and I'll be preparing baked cod, a sweet potato mash and sauteed mustard greens.

For a treat, I intend to make some hot cross buns, European style without the sugar frosting.
  • jclimey
    jclimey Posts: 14
    Options
    Start you own Easter traditions with healthy food. I grew up in with an Easter Dinner of roast lamb (just a small amount), roast potatoes, and lots and lots of steamed vegetables. We did always have a nice dessert and of course chocolate Easter eggs. Stay strong, and it isn't the end of the world if you still have your traditional dinner, maybe make it healthier and watch your portion size. Happy Easter.
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We're having steak (or a roast, not sure yet), corn, baked potatoes, and french bread (no bread for me though!). Wine instead of the usual craft beers, And no idea on dessert yet, probably some sort of ice cream/ice milk/frozen yogurt with berries on top.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas or plans to have a clean and healthy Easter dinner? I am trying to break the tradition of ham, mac and cheese, etc. I was just curious as to what other people have planned......

We are having the same as last year: glazed ham, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, and dinner rolls. My idea of eating healthy is to have an overall balanced diet with a wide variety of foods. For Easter, eating healthy means pushing away from the table after eating an adequate amount.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My MIL pretty much fixes the same meal for every holiday so I've already got it pre-logged. I'll just have to do a good job estimating portion sizes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Going to my aunt's house, and she is serving ham, but she's got me bringing a big spinach salad, and said there will also be broccoli salad, and I'm guessing strawberries, possibly asparagus.
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Crab Legs! You have to work to get your food and they are pretty low cal and yummy! That's what I'm doing! Pair it with some roasted veggies, a nice salad and kings hawaiian rolls (only 100 cals each).

For dessert I'm making a carrot cake... I found a recipe thats pretty low cal and sounds amazing. Uses flaked coconut and crushed pineapple... http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/super-moist-carrot-cake-with-cream.html
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    We're doing our traditional leg of lamb and mint sauce. No roasted potatoes this year though...boiled new potatoes, and plenty of steamed veggies. I found some gorgeous strawberries today so strawberry shortcake for dessert...although I'll probably just have the strawberries...no shortcake or cream.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Kind of a mixture this year. Roasted chicken, grilled asparagus, grilled shrimp, some potatoes, salad and some rolls for those who want them. We are all trying to lose weight, so this is the menu. Looks pretty yummy to me! Not sure on desert yet, but might do a sugar free chocolate pudding pie. Not too bad on the calories and satisfies the sweet tooth!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Chicken for the meat eaters, chicken style roast for me, veggies, mashed potatoes, gravy, redcurrant jelly and mint jelly.