have $780 bucks riding on me losing 5 pounds... need help!

Options
I am needing advice...
The situation is that each year my work offers a large discount on health insurance, but you have to be below 30% BMI to be eligible for the $780 discount... which I don't know about you, but that is a lot of money for me. I still have about 5 pounds to lose and I am beginning to worry that I won't have it gone by the deadline of April 12th.

Here is what I have been doing so far....
1200 calories each day, sometimes eat back exercise calories, depending on hunger level.
Eat pretty clean, lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean protein.
Exercising 40 minutes on average about 4-5 times a week. (stationary bike, pilates, and other videos)
Just began trying to get some of my exercise in the morning. (stationary bike)
Try to eat several small meals throughout the day, try not to go too long or get ravenous between meals.
And I am 46 years old, 5'3", starting weight 192.3, current weight 174.1
I do weigh everyday and get frustrated with how much my weight fluctuates daily ( I know stop weighing everyday)

Do you have any other suggestions for me that would help ensure that I meet my goal? I have been thinking of upping my calories but am so worried that it would cause weight gain. Being completely honest, that is the other thing that concerns me.... I have become so obsessed with each and every little thing I put in my mouth and I am terrified of gaining weight and not earning this discount.

I would like to stay on the weight loss path after the deadline, but would enjoy experimenting with upping calories... but for now I really just need to shed 5 pounds and don't really care how I do it... I just need it gone!! I have been thinking of going on a juice fast. I did that last year, lost 13 pounds in 19 days.... and gained 22 pounds in the year following... don't want to do that again.

Please help... I am desperate! Thanks!

Replies

• kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Don't up your calories. 1200 is fine. However, I recommend NOT eating back the calories you burn. Also the quickest way to lose weight is to jog/run. You could increase your time working out too.

Also - kind of a cheat - on the day that you go in for your appointment. Do not eat Anything until afterwards. Most people lose about 2 pounds overnight, every night. But as soon as you eat something it comes right back. So don't eat until after your assessment (and if it's like my work, they recommend not eating before anyways to make sure your levels are correct), but that will help.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    1. Exersize -- running really helped me.

2. Eat healthy foods - cook everything yourself from unprocessed veg, fruits, grains and lean meats and fish.

3. Don't do anything drastic like a massive crash diet, it may show up in your bloodwork.

4. Blood tests definitely check for diuretics - that would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

And most important for your weigh in is watching your sodium for at least 3 days prior. No restaurant meals, no packaged or canned foods and limit breads, bagels, etc.. They are very high in sodium.... Since I started weighing myself every day I can tell you one restaurant meal can bring your water weight up 2-5 lb and it can last 2-4 days.
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    if you aren't worried about the health part of losing the weight...

1) cut sodium down 1-2 days before weighing.
    2) dont eat/drink morning of your weigh in.
    3) take milk of magnesia right before going to bed.

good luck!

if you arent in a time crutch, do what NYCNika suggested...
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Eat back your calories, your body needs fuel to function properly. And start lifting weights! Additionally do some HIIT!
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from sodium, not eat anything after like 8 the night before the weigh in and not again until after and drink lots of iced tea- for me anyway, that pulls water weight off pretty good for me. I've heard that cranberry is good for this too.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    No salt is KEY! Also, before the weigh in and if you CAN -- steam room or sauna right before. We have a sauna at the YMCA and you can sweat out fake 2 or 3 pounds.

I would keep on with the diet and stuff for the 2 weeks,

You want to REALLY lose the weight of course, but for the weigh in, I would do all the Jockey and wrestler tricks to "make weight"
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Yikes. You're doing all the right things. I agree, if you raise your calories now, you may have a temporary gain, not good. It could go the other way, but 12 days is too close to chance it by experimenting.

Keep your carbs under 100 net grams a day..if you can totally avoid grains in the last week, that will help with water retention (it just takes more liquid in your digestive system to process the grains, not that they are bad for you. Start back on them after the weigh-in if you want to. It's a temporary loss, not a fat loss.)

On the week before the weigh-in, don't eat any salt if you can possibly avoid it. So, strictly homemade meals with no processed food except butter. That will help with water retention.

And, geez. If they would do the weigh in in June it would be a lot better. That's my suggestion. Good luck!

• NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    if you aren't worried about the health part of losing the weight...

1) cut sodium down 1-2 days before weighing.
    2) dont eat/drink morning of your weigh in.
    3) take milk of magnesia right before going to bed.

good luck!

if you arent in a time crutch, do what NYCNika suggested...

Taking laxatives and diuretics before insurance physicals is NOT a good idea. (as is taking them for anything other than their intended use, but that's another topic.)
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I can usually drop about 5lbs by cutting back sodium and flushing with water, also the whole morning weight is lower is dead on, I weight about 3lbs more after breakfast water and coffee.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    How is the weight to be established for the discount? And, if a specific scale will be used, has the five pounds required weight loss been established on the same scale?

I have two concerns here: that you could do something drastic---lose the five pounds---and then find out that you needed to lose seven, or that you could do something drastic to lose five pounds when you only needed to lose two pounds.
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Since you're so close and it's really getting down to the wire, I would really try to cut all sodium or as much as you can. Also drink lots of water. On the day of the weigh in, make sure you don't eat or drink anything before going in to keep you from having any extra weight in your stomach and also make sure you go to the bathroom right before weighing. :) Good luck!!!
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    lots of fruits and veggies (fresh is best
    whole grains (probably keep to a minimum the week of weigh in)
    drink plenty of water
    keep sodium low (but sodium is necessary)
    Don't eat before weigh in that day.
    go to the bathroom before weigh in.
    empty pockets remove shoes (wear light clothing) you are weighing body weight not clothing
    remember that a portion of meat is the size of a deck of cards
    probably stay away from red meats over the next couple weeks until weigh in and perhaps seek non-meat sources of prouatein for some of your meals --look for monounsaturated fats and keep the saturated fats to a minimum.
    Do not go below 1200 calories in a day--your metabolism may crash and you won't lose.
    seek whole--not processed--foods. If it is a little harder to chew, it will actally increase your metabolism.

just a few ideas
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Think -Atkins Diet- . For the next two weeks, no fruits, no carbs, no sugar, no alcohol, no salt. Drink plenty of water, at least 8 glasses. I would not suggest to continue afterwards, just go back to eating clean, including whole wheat carbs. The weight you will lose is water weight, but it usually comes off fairly quickly! Good luck hun!
  • CDrealME
    CDrealME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have mentioned that you have to be at or below 30% BMI to qualify for the discount, correct? However, you have not mentioned what your current BMI with your stats... Have you gone to see your doctorto inquire on your current BMI? That will be my suggestion since they may also point to alternative (dr.approved) routes for you to reach your goal in time. You may already be at or close to the required BMI for the discount - if you are not aware of it. Also, if you are gaining muscle, the scale won't budge.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Obviously the more important thing is to get the discount. Dehydrate the crap out of yourself. Wrestlers/MMA/Boxers often cut 20+ pounds overnight. Just make the weight cut off, rehydrate yourself, and get back to losing weight the right way. Rubber suit and a sauna and you'll make the weight in a few hours. It isn't all that health but that isn't the point. Really 5 pounds of water weight isn't much at all and won't hardly effect you. Chug a Gatorade or two when you are done.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you don't make it in time... do a juice cleanse to push all the solid food out of your body and it'll push excess water out. You won't lose fat, but it'll get you to the weight you may need to just pass the BMI for the one day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    For once, I'm not going to start with a suggestion to consider more than 1200 calories. In fact...I...well, I'm not actually going to say it, but I'm thinking it.

If I were you, I'd do some googling on what fighters/wrestlers do to make weight. You'll find plenty of tips. Oh, sure, many of them will be a little unhealthy, and others, very unhealthy, but effective. And it's *only* five pounds, which is very doable with just a few tricks. Good luck.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    my friend was in martial arts and needed to lose a pound to fight in the lighter weight category so she cut her ponytail in her hotel room! Is a drastic hair cut something you could consider?
    Make sure they let you strip as much as modesty allows, clothes weighs a lot, remove jewelry if you wear any.
    other than that, there were some good advices listed here.
    good luck!
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do not increase calories or start lifting! That will make you have a temporary gain, you should do it after as it is healthy and will help you loose weight in the long run, but not quickly. Follow advice on cutting sodium, carbs, taking laxatives, drink plenty of water from now till the day before or so to ensure not retaining water and then dehydrate and starve your self on the day to ensure no extra gain from having anything in your stomach. And then straight after increase calories again and start thinking healthy about losing the weight!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    So hows the progress going!