How is protien intake determined?

Options
I see alot of people on the boards say that MFP sets the protein low. I feel like its high because I can never meet it, even with supplements.

I generally get at least 35 grams per day. I'm also Vegan, but this diet is new to me. Even before cutting out dairy, I never met the goal. Looking back, even in my meat eating days, its a wonder I'm alive... I've never met any goal in grams. Servings, yes. Grams, it never adds up.

The reason I'm asking is because I created an account for my daughter so that I can track her food more easily. (I track it for her dietician who has been helping with our transition since the discovery of multiple food allergies and sensitivities. She rarely eats meat, but would not classify as a vegan with me.) I make sure she meets the calories and serving sizes recommended, but the actual protien never adds up.

(Let me point out that from bloodwork, we are not deficient at all. Just in case you are a carnivore who believes that veggies are malnourished:wink: )

Anyway, I'm curious because neither of us meet the goals set by MFP. Calories, fiber, fat, no problem. Protien.... I just don't get it. For fun, I calculated the food pyramid recomendations. That didn't even add up.

So how do you actually determine what you need? (Yes, I know I should ask the dietician and I intend to. Its just driving me crazy right at this moment and I'm very curious.)

Replies

• Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am always over on protein. I eat meat, but not a lot, and not often. I think the majority of mine is from nuts and beans...

I have read over and over that the MFP counts are low on this and fiber. I have no idea how it is all calculated...but Im interested to find out.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    In your goals, you can set the percentages for carbs/protein/fat. If your's is set to 50/30/20, and each gram of protein has 4 calories, take your total calories for the day, multiply by .3 for your 30% protein, and divide by 4 (cals per gram) for the number of grams per day.

If you think it's too high for you, you can always adjust the percentages to make it more reasonable for you.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Googled it and this is from about.com
    How much protein do we need?
    Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person, 92 grams.

Mine on MFP is pretty close to this calculation, within 1-1.5.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks bonnienm!

According to that calculation, I do meet my protein recommended amounts daily but not usually when I work out which is daily - MFP bumps everything up and then I don't meet it. * I have amended my fibre deliberately, 25g is the minimum and I hated that MFP often said 12 when I get 40+ a day.

I get 50-60g a day and yes I eat meat but not in vast quantities. I have a 3oz chicken breast at dinner and started eating 1/2 can of tuna at lunch to keep my numbers up. The rest of my numbers actually come from cereal (I snack on all-bran flakes like 4g protein) or if I eat bread (6g protein) and it ads up. I fear nuts due to fat content but I know its good fats, I know I know....
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I should have 55 grams according to those calculations. So in that case, MFP is set high.

I guess what confuses me is that I'm eating the proper portions as recommended. Yet the grams never add up.

Is it more important to focus on the portions, or the grams?

I eat a protien smoothie at breakfast with a little soy milk in my coffee, a large salad with beans and topped with some seeds for crunch at lunch, a serving of nuts for a snack, and tofu for dinner... All appropriate portion sizes. I also add things to recipes that add protien; like nutritional yeast or spirulina. Does it just not matter that the grams don't add up?

Obviously I'm medically OK. I just don't get the math. I'm not a math person....
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Thanks bonnienm!

According to that calculation, I do meet my protein recommended amounts daily but not usually when I work out which is daily - MFP bumps everything up and then I don't meet it. * I have amended my fibre deliberately, 25g is the minimum and I hated that MFP often said 12 when I get 40+ a day.

I get 50-60g a day and yes I eat meat but not in vast quantities. I have a 3oz chicken breast at dinner and started eating 1/2 can of tuna at lunch to keep my numbers up. The rest of my numbers actually come from cereal (I snack on all-bran flakes like 4g protein) or if I eat bread (6g protein) and it ads up. I fear nuts due to fat content but I know its good fats, I know I know....

This may be where we are lacking.....

We have a wheat allergy and are gluten sensitive, so cereal, bread, etc are off limits. I bet we could make higher numbers with those things.
  • hadababyitsagirl
    Options
    I eat 2 1/2 cup servings of Breakstone's 2%milkfat cottage cheese (small curd) EVERYDAY!! I love cottage cheese, and there are 12g protein in each 1/2 cup. Just a suggestion if you need to bump up your protein.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I eat 2 1/2 cup servings of Breakstone's 2%milkfat cottage cheese (small curd) EVERYDAY!! I love cottage cheese, and there are 12g protein in each 1/2 cup. Just a suggestion if you need to bump up your protein.

I'm vegan. Cottage cheese is dairy. I'm allergic to dairy.

But thanks for the suggestion! I used to love cottage cheese and tomatoes. Too bad it was the source of my migraines.