is starbucks drinks & food really bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's bad because Starbucks have dubious corporate morals and don't pay their taxes.

Get your calorie laden coffees and cakes from local independent shops.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    On the rare occasion I get a free $5 Starbucks gift card, I'll get an unsweetened Tazo black tea. 0 calories.

That sounds so boring
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion I get a free $5 Starbucks gift card, I'll get an unsweetened Tazo black tea. 0 calories.

That sounds so boring

Some people don't drink coffee - me for example so to say it is boring is harsh. I LOVE herbal tea and drink about 4 cups a day. Also Herbal infusions aren't designed to have sugars in them. It's just people chose to sweeten them in order to get their sugar fix.

Personally I think drinking lattes is disgusting and the thought turns my stomach but that's just my taste. The poster may LOVE herbal infusions so is happy to use her gift card in that way.
  • cheshire29
    Options
    I've gone from grande salted Carmel mochas to fat free lattes over the course of the last year. Every once in a while I will order some type of mocha (like once every 4 months when I'm out with friends) but the last one I had was so sweet I may be over it! I also order the oatmeal with blueberries when I'm traveling for work. It is great that they have started offering fresh blueberries!

I currently have 2-3 lattes per week.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get a venti vanilla latte (not skinny, the regular one tastes SO much better) and I add vanilla powder to the top for extra sweetness. I get those probably 3 times a week. Yes it has a decent amount of sugar. It's 250 calories. So I just make sure I track it and eat very well to stay under my calorie goal for the day. You can eat or drink whatever you want as long as you are within your goals.

The food is surprisingly high in calories though. I'd stay away from that.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's bad because Starbucks have dubious corporate morals and don't pay their taxes.

I am all for supporting local, independently operated businesses. That said, you clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. I went to business school, and therefore studied Starbucks alot. As a punkrock girl, I had your same thoughts before this. Corporate America blah blah blah. Once you actually look into the company though, you will find Starbucks is one of the most responsible companies out there. They support fair trade (instead of paying cartels and child laborers, they pay responsible farmers using legal methods decent wages), they employ millions of Americans, and they absolutely DO pay their taxes. Starbucks is a model company. You think just because it's a hugely successful business it has to be bad. Well you are wrong.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    As a former barista, I swear that I gained sooo much weight. I worked at a licensed store inside a grocery store for a year, then at a corporate store inside of a mall for 6 months and one month at a drive-thru. Between getting free drinks before & after work, during breaks &/or while at lunch, I definitely can attribute my employment to a lot of a 20 pound weight gain.

I had no self-control, and even when I'd use nonfat milk, it doesn't justify all of the bad choices! Seriously! There is more sugar in nonfat milk than 2%. More sugar turns into fat! And all of the "sugar-free'' syrups & all of the artifical additives are terrible for you!
    You could easily go thru 500+ calories with a medium or large fru-fru drink.

Their foods taste good, but the pastries & sandwiches are frozen & pre-packaged. Loaded with sodium & carbs & sugar.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    and they absolutely DO pay their taxes. Starbucks is a model company. You think just because it's a hugely successful business it has to be bad. Well you are wrong.

I'm from the UK and they have been absolutely named and shamed for evading their corporation taxes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

So no it's not "just" because they are a hugely successful business that I think they are bad.

I think they're bad because they are.