Bicycle? suggestions?

Options
For fitness, not really for "fun"
I am small framed, and broke. But I WILL come up with money if I find the right bike.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I live my Specialized Vita. Last years' models should be on sale right now. I think I paid $400 or $450.
  • jhealy1191
    jhealy1191 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. Look at last year's models. Similair to cars, the prices really drop whenever the new ones come out.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have a Specialized hybrid that I have had for over 5 years...Use it for exercise and recreational riding...Still is in good shape... I replaced the tires once so far... I put on less knobby tires since I use it on roads/paths where knobby tires aren't needed....
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm going to cheat and quote myself in another thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/939168-first-road-bike
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You want a road bike? Mountain bike? Hybrid? and what would be the price range you want? Most bike shops will have a layaway program, all you have to do is ask. You can get a decent entry level bike at Wal Mart, but you'll be best taking it to a shop and spending more money to have it tuned up and what-not. You CANNOT go wrong with a Specialized. Trek has some nice bikes but they tend to be a little pricey at times for what you get. I also like GT but they don't really have a road bike line-up. Best bet is to stick with a bike shop bike. A mountain bike might be a good choice for you as it allows a wider range of environments to be ridden than a road bike will. If you find your on pavement mostly you can even install semi-slicks. They're smooth in the middle where you'll be on the road, but knobby on the sides for when you hit the trails. I say trails, but I'm not talking hard-core stuff. There's plenty of parks that have leisure trails that aren't paved. You'll also have a more upright riding position.

Best bet is to go visit a bike shop. Tell them what you're looking for and a price range. Entry level might set you back up to $500, but you DO get what you pay for in a bike. You can test drive some bikes and get an idea for what you like as well as get properly sized since frames are different sizes. Above all, spend the money and buy a good helmet (then use the helmet).
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You want a road bike? Mountain bike? Hybrid?
    I want a hybrid I think. Not mountain bike, not interested in that really. I am contemplating a duathlon and will need the bike for that.
    and what would be the price range you want?
    $300-$400 complete.

Above all, spend the money and buy a good helmet (then use the helmet).
    I have to have a helmet to bike the course, in the rules, or I would get disqualified. Plus. I like my brain where it is.

Ok, I will check out bike shops.
    I may have to go to a sport shop though, not sure we can afford over $400.
  • CNYGAL
    CNYGAL Posts: 5
    Options
    Check your local bike shops (for community boards with notices) and bike clubs for used ones. This is the time of year people upgrade and they want the cash to buy the new ones. If you have a tri-club in your area check them too.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You want a road bike? Mountain bike? Hybrid?
    I want a hybrid I think. Not mountain bike, not interested in that really. I am contemplating a duathlon and will need the bike for that.
    and what would be the price range you want?
    $300-$400 complete.

Above all, spend the money and buy a good helmet (then use the helmet).
    I have to have a helmet to bike the course, in the rules, or I would get disqualified. Plus. I like my brain where it is.

Ok, I will check out bike shops.
    I may have to go to a sport shop though, not sure we can afford over $400.

You want a road bike ;) . If you ride on pavement and don't plan on hauling a weeks worth of groceries means you want a road bike.
    If you want to do a tonne of duathlons, a tri/TT bike would be better, but unfortunately out of your price range. BUT, I can win my age group in duathlons with a 2x8 Specialized Allez with Sora components. 5-6 years ago when I bought it, it was a $800 bike, but I bought it as old stock at the end of the year for $100 off.

The cheapest Specialized - the Dolce women's - is $830 this year
    The chepest Trek - the Lexa women's - is $740 this year
    If you've got a Performance Bike nearby, they sell Fuji's which are fairly inexpensive for the spec. However, Performance doesn't do layaway, they do financing.
    Raliegh makes nice bikes for usually less $$ the Specialized or Trek because they have next to no marketing expenses

Used is going to get you the best deals, BUT you have to know your size. Getting the right sized bike is as important as buying the right running shoes! Also, when looking at used bikes, factor in another $100 for a fitting at a bike shop and a tuneup
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It is going to be difficult (impossible?) to find a new bike of reasonable quality and performance from a main stream manufacturer for $300/$400. It would have been difficult 10 years ago.

You might find something used in that price range but if you are an inexperienced cyclist I don't think I'd recommend that route unless you have some experienced cycling friends who can help you pick something out in your size.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    I bought a TRK hybrid which I love, I rip on it, great workout, I have a much more expensive road bike, but my TREK is fun to crank on. I paid 350 for it. If you look around you can find a good bike in your price range. It just takes some effort.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't mind used you can keep an eye out on Craigslist and ask around at local bike shops. If you get a used bike I would immediately take it to a shop to have it tuned. They'll grease and adjust the parts on it and help adjust it to you. Make sure it's the right size frame for you though. Also, if you need parts for it you can let the shop know money is an issue and ask if they have any "take off" parts. When people upgrade new bikes the shop takes off the old stuff and typically sells those to people in need. You get brand new components at a fraction of the cost. I had a Wal Mart Mongoose decked out almost completely in CODA (Cannondale) parts. I had a GT on layaway there and didn't want to put lots into the 'goose so this was the best route.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with Specialized!!! You can get a good deal on slightly used one on Craigslist. I have a hybrid from Craiglist as well as Specialized Ruby road bike. I love them both, the road bike is my favorite :)