Counting calories on holiday

Options
I'm off to Crete for 10 days. hurrah! i will be eating out a lot - normally if I eat out I guess calories, finding something similar sounding in the MFP database. However, I worry a bit about doing this for 10 days running - I am so happy with the weight loss I've had and I would be upset to come back having put weight back on. What do others do when you don't know exactly what youre eating? Any advice welcome!

Replies

• FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good question! Happens to me all the time and I just guess. I will be following closely to see how others respond.
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • CidCecilia
    Options
    Just try to keep your servings very small, and use common sense. It's fried in lots of olive oil? Might not go for that, then. Really, just mind your servings a lot and try to think logically and I think you'll be fine. You can also check up on raw ingredients before your trip; how many calories octopus or fish or whatever you think you'll be eating are. That way, you'll have an easier time guessing. A small, digital scale can help you, too. Either way, enjoy your holiday!
  • meriken
    meriken Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    be moderate with everything good work so far dont do anything to undermine it. i kept on logging my food for two weeks in england and scotland . ill admit much easier in and english speaking country but how about if you check up on some of the goodies you will be eating before you go and writee them down so you can have your own directory while you are away. i enjoy my holidays much more when i know i havent undone all my good work. good luck
  • SarahRruns
    SarahRruns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I eat lots of fruit/veg instead of other little snacks like icecream. Also ordering a salad instead or with the normal food can help reducing the calories. And of course water instead of (most of the) wine...
    And try to walk quite a bit. Then you should be absolutely fine :)
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    I've just been to France and came back lighter after a week - first time ever. I ate what I was given (admittedly a lot home cooked) and logged it on mfp. I was surprised at how much info the mobile apps hold when you're not connected to the internet - had very few problems finding food.
    I drank wine every night (some nights way too much)
    I did avoid bread (particularly white), - and I didn't eat between meals. I don't think I had a pudding other than the odd natural yoghurt. I normally crave something sweet at night so I took some sugar free toffees (werthers) that are 40 cals for 5 as an emergency fix.
    I moved a fair bit (I was helping spring clean a 13 bed house) but did no formal exercise unless you count man-handling a sofa down two flights of twisty stairs. I didn't get out of breath once so it was hardly hardcore!
    My cals averaged about 2200 a day - I went aiming for maintenance and pretty much achieved that.
    My hardest day was travelling back when I ate rubbish because that's what's available when travelling and I had a slight hangover so my sensible head disappeared!
    So.....my advice would be:
    log it somehow - even if you just write it down.
    Ask questions about the food and choose simple stuff - like a kebab rather than beef stifado maybe. I can't remember the last time I ordered a salad with the dressing mixed in - I always get it on the side and then dip my fork in the dressing before spearing the food - you get the taste with far fewer cals.
    Move - even if it's wandering around beautiful scenery
    But most of all relax and have a great time

Sue
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - lots of good advice. It'll be weird not weighing myself every day (but good for me probably!)
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    One thing I try and do is not go overboard at the buffet breakfast. I try and stick to what I'd have at home.
  • chezzielou1984
    Options
    I wont be logging my food or watching my calories when I am on holiday. However this does not mean I wont be watching what and how much I eat and be complacent when it comes to exercising.
    I will weigh myself on the day I go and log it on MFP and do the same the day after I get back and start again from then.
    I don't have a phone that has access to the internet and I am not taking my laptop so I dont have much choice.
    Have a nice holiday, enjoy yourself.