Not to be gross, but...

Options
When I work out vigorously during cardio, I have to spit and a lot of times it will have some phlegm in it. Gross- I know, sorry.
I don't smoke and I don't consume that much dairy...so my question is: does this happen to other people/is this normal?
Thanks!

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Are you sufficiently hydrated? Do you have allergies?
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I got the same problem while running too.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well I smoke and eat dairy but mine doesn't have any in it. Maybe mention it to the Doctor next time you're there?
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    No allergies, it happens when I'm doing any kind of intense physical activity.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I have asthma and allergies and I've always wondered if that's the cause.
  • 007FatSlayer
    Options
    I'm well hydrated- I drink a good amount of water
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same problem when I have either dairy or coke, when those are eliminated from the diet it went away.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I doubt anything is wrong. I have the same thing happen to me when I run outdoors.

Perhaps it's your body's reaction and it getting prepared to start breaking down carbs, kind of like a dog drooling when you waft food past their nose. Your body may be preparing itself to digest carbs by thickening your saliva... the first step the body has in order to break down carbs into sugars.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Pretty normal in my experience, particularly starting out. Plenty of people I know who are otherwise pretty polite end up spitting on long runs.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem when I'm running and I eat lots of dairy. Try chewing mint gum while running?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Any other symptoms? Excess mucus is one symptom of exercise-induced asthma. Here's information from Mayo Clinic:.

"Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

If you cough, wheeze or feel out of breath during or after exercise, it may be more than exertion causing your symptoms. You might have exercise-induced asthma. As with asthma triggered by other things, exercise-induced asthma symptoms occur when your airways tighten and produce extra mucus."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-induced-asthma/DS01040
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    phlegm can be caused by mucous which can be excited by far more than dairy or smoking. allergies for one
  • 007FatSlayer
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses. Seems like it's normal and it is just the body's response to that kind of activity
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I get that way when I'm running really hard or get really hot when I exercise. I used to have exercise induced asthma when I was a kid that I have kind of grown out of (or at least don't need medication for anymore). maybe that is the cause?
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    do you have asthma?
  • 007FatSlayer
    Options
    When I was a kid I had exercise induced asthma too...I don't think I have it anymore though
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    ya this also happens to me when i run outdoors.. i think it may be a combination of slight like sinus allergies n running really fast with maybe not enough hydration. also i usually eat a fair amount of dairy cuz im vegetarian n im an ex smoker of 5 years like 4 years ago but it still happens sometimes so ya i think its the allergies to like pollen basically n maybe a bit 2 much dairy n not being used to running so fast n without enough water im guessing.
  • Footballisdashit
    Options
    It's normal. I think we all spit a **** load when we run.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Any other symptoms? Excess mucus is one symptom of exercise-induced asthma. Here's information from Mayo Clinic:.

"Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

If you cough, wheeze or feel out of breath during or after exercise, it may be more than exertion causing your symptoms. You might have exercise-induced asthma. As with asthma triggered by other things, exercise-induced asthma symptoms occur when your airways tighten and produce extra mucus."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-induced-asthma/DS01040

That's really extreme, I really doubt that's it. It's very common for runners to do this.

Think of it like this, you are sweating and breathing. Sweat gets into your nose and just being outdoors your body produces mucus.

When you see people run marathons especially after the half point, you'll see a lot of spit on the ground. A lot of runners bring water just the wash out their mouth out too.

So don't worry about it.
  • 007FatSlayer
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!!