Should I eat my exercise calories?

Options
Hi all,

I am confused about the exercise calories. I know I am supposed to eat them back, but I'm not sure if they are being calculated twice. When I set up my profile, I selected sedentary (I have a desk job where I sit all day), but I also selected a 45 minute workout 4 days per week. Are the workouts already included in my calories? I still add them daily, and it tells me I can eat more calories, but I wasn't sure if they were already included in my calorie allowance and the only exercise calories I should eat are those beyond my 4 workouts.

thanks for your help!!!!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's not included in your calories. I actually don't even enter a goal for exercise anymore, I just add it when I do it. It's less confusing that way, and it's not like I really need to track it so I don't go over or something.

So yes, eat some back, I wouldn't eat it all back though because your metabolism burns about 60 calories an hour anyway, so I usually subtract that to my exercise. I usually don't eat it all back though, even though I should, because I'm not always that hungry.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them back. Your body needs the fuel to keep you going and keep you strong for your workouts. How you've explained how you have your MFP setup, you'll still be eating at a calorie deficit even if you eat back all your calories - which should lead to weight loss.

Your diary is not open so I can't see how much you're typically consuming/burning through exercise daily, but if you don't eat back your calories then my guess is your body is not getting enough nutrients to keep it healthy and strong.
  • fractalbrain
    fractalbrain Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yip, eat them.

I don't think MFP takes into account your exercise GOALS in your calorie calculations. It starts out reminding you how much you said you would work out, but it assumes you have done no working out unless you enter it.

MFP estimates your basal metabolic rate based on the information you enter at the beginning. Theoretically, if you do nothing and eat that number of calories, you should neither gain or lose weight.

Using that same line of thinking, if you work out and burn 200 calories, then you should be able 200 calories extra and maintain weight.

If you are like me and told MFP you want to lose weight (mine is 2 lbs per week), then MFP removes the calorie equivalent of the weight from your basal metabolic weight and tells you the new number of calories you need to intake per day to achieve your goal.

Assuming MFP knows that you are trying to loose weight, if you try to loose too much weight and/or do not eat the calories you burned, then your body will start metabolizing muscles and/or enter starvation mode. That could lead to you plateauing since you are too fatigued to properly burn calories (roughly). Your body needs energy to develop and to burn the tissue you want (fat).

MFP is centered around doing the calculations for you. Eat your food and eat food that is good for you. Weigh yourself and remember that your body will retain water when it is building/repairing muscle tissue AND that if you do exercise a lot and eat a lot, then you will have more food in you colon.

Also, MFP will not be perfect. If you want, you could probably weigh yourself properly (throughout the week and take averages) and compare it to your weight loss goal. If it is off, then you could probably play around with your entered activity level and weight loss goals. For example, if you are actually loosing weight too fast, you could bump up your activity level. At this point, I dont think MFP adapts to you automagically.

Thats all. Later.
  • fractalbrain
    Options
    ...although now I am wondering. For example, today I burned ~1000 calories and was amused to find myself annoyed at trying to find extra stuff to eat. I still have some left over and Im calling it quits.

I wonder if there are other rules at play. For example, should a marathon runner really attempt to sit down and consume 4000 calories after a run?

Just some thought for food
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    ...although now I am wondering. For example, today I burned ~1000 calories and was amused to find myself annoyed at trying to find extra stuff to eat. I still have some left over and Im calling it quits.

I wonder if there are other rules at play. For example, should a marathon runner really attempt to sit down and consume 4000 calories after a run?

Marathon runners usually are not trying to loose weight or gain it. But yes, marathon runners typically will eat A LOT after a run and the days to come.

Eat it back within reason but don't starve yourself either.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat all my exercise calories...but sometimes I need to because I am starving after a particularly rough day...make sure you eat enough calories over all (1200-1400) to fuel your body for what you are doing...
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Micheal Pheleps does
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do especially on weekends which are more struggle.... But sometimes I may just eat 100 calories back... You will need to find what works for you... Everybody is different.... Good luck!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

I ran 11 miles today and I could easily eat another 1500 calories. Right now I'm at about 2500. When you run long distances, you get really hungry. If you really can't come up with any ideas of something good to eat, I can help with that.
  • fractalbrain
    Options
    Well cool. It sounds like the OP has some good answers about IF (with good words from @SideSteel's post/link, the recognition that calorie estimates may be...slightly off, that everyone is different, etc.), but...

What about when? - IF you eat back your calories, especially if it is a lot, WHEN do you eat it back? Thats a rather complicated ambiguous question, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. For example, if we need to eat back "extra" calories from activity, then presumably eating all of it 1 hour after the workout is different from spreading it out over the preceding 6 hours. That last sentence incorporated before/after and spread out/all at once.

and what about what? - Again, if you eat back your calories presumably there are physiological differences for how what foods are adsorbed when. Example: If it is late in the day and someone has just spent a bunch of energy working out, but really does not want to eat a meal, what do you eat? @Misssiri, thoughts?
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Yes. If you are hungry then eat them guilt free. I wouldn't, however, force yourself to eat them back if you are satiated. Let your body tell you what to eat.

Or you can go about it a completely different way and not use MFP's settings and calc your TDEE for your activity level and eat 20% less.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well cool. It sounds like the OP has some good answers about IF (with good words from @SideSteel's post/link, the recognition that calorie estimates may be...slightly off, that everyone is different, etc.), but...

What about when? - IF you eat back your calories, especially if it is a lot, WHEN do you eat it back? Thats a rather complicated ambiguous question, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. For example, if we need to eat back "extra" calories from activity, then presumably eating all of it 1 hour after the workout is different from spreading it out over the preceding 6 hours. That last sentence incorporated before/after and spread out/all at once.

and what about what? - Again, if you eat back your calories presumably there are physiological differences for how what foods are adsorbed when. Example: If it is late in the day and someone has just spent a bunch of energy working out, but really does not want to eat a meal, what do you eat? @Misssiri, thoughts?

I can only speak for myself but on my long run days, I usually go in the early morning and I'm ravenous the rest of the day so I eat when I need to and sometimes into the next day. Usually that is a rest day for me. During the week I run after work at about 5pm and I'm not all that hungry after. On days that I lift weights, I'm starving but haven't burned any calories really so I just try to balance it out day to day as much as I can.

I really think it's about what works for the individual but I hate saying that because I think that under eating is so detrimental to everyone and I don't want anyone to think i agree with the "listen to your body and eat when you are hungry". I think that is a load of BS. Not many of us can "listen to our bodies" and if we could we wouldn't be here on MFP most likely. So sometimes we aren't hungry after a late workout and are afraid to eat the next day. Eat anyways. Eating the food is really important and I hate seeing people restrict and I especially hate the "I eat 1200 calories and burn 1000 every day" people. Eat your exercise calories. Better yet, eat at your TDEE - 10% or 15% and lose slowly. And for good measure, here's the road map link to calculate your BMR and TDEE

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I eat mine within the same week. I try to only eat when I'm hungry, so if I'm not hungry after my workout, I wait until I am. Sometimes that means within an hour or two or later the same day, and sometimes, I'm not hungrier than my regular calories (without exercise) that day at all, so I save the calories as a cushion for a higher calorie restaurant meal later in the week.
  • jeanmariegreen
    jeanmariegreen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am confused on how to eat them back with out going over my fat sugar or sodium. I manage to stay inside those with my regular 1200 cals per day but than I burn 700 cals at the gym and I go way over the other components if I eat them back. I can't get down 700 calories of veggies. Any help would be most appreciated. I have been on a nasty platue for 8 months and I never eat back my calories!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I do.
    At least eat half of them back.