Different veggie fries??

Options
artistryrose
artistryrose Posts: 84 Member
So I love making home made baked white or sweet potatoe fries... Is there anything else I can get to cook like a fry when baking?

I've heard you can make zucchini sticks, but what else. I also know you can lightly bread veggies for crispness, but what else? I'm open to any new ideas!!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You can roast ANY veggie. I love zucchini, green beans, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, bell pepper pieces...
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My favorites to roast are sweet potatoes sliced and also eggplant but then there's roasted red peppers that are great to roast with eggplant slices, but brush peppers with olive oil and roast whole. I then place the whole red pepper in a dish and cover with plastic wrap till cooled and the peel is then easy to pull off. Great for veggie sandwiches with some mozzarella cheese :tongue:
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    CARROTS!

I either take baby carrots or cut up whole carrots, toss with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and roast in the oven for about 30-40 min till tender. So yummy :)
    You can dip them like fries, too.
  • bsymonds
    bsymonds Posts: 12
    Options
    You should try baked kale chips, here's a recipe link:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/
    I was so nervous about trying them since they were green and a part of the cabbage family but they were delicious!
    And low in calories being 100 for 2 bunches including oil and salt :)
  • Hossie79
    Hossie79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Beet chips- going to try them tomorrow!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Any tips for actually getting veggie 'fries' crispy when baking them?
  • Clm81401
    Clm81401 Posts: 61
    Options
    Try turnips as a fry. They are great. Also try red radishes, they turn sweet when roasted.
    The trick to crisp baked potato fry is "par boil them first, dry them, light brush of oil, hot and fast, one flip only".
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So I love making home made baked white or sweet potatoe fries... Is there anything else I can get to cook like a fry when baking?

I've heard you can make zucchini sticks, but what else. I also know you can lightly bread veggies for crispness, but what else? I'm open to any new ideas!!

I tried Butternut Squash for the first time this year, it was pretty good just like a sweet potato fry.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've heard that jicama fries are good, especially when cooked in coconut oil: http://pinterest.com/pin/66920744434325495/.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I came across a recipe for sweet and spicy carrot fries yesterday but have yet to try it.

http://jackiedoesdomestic.blogspot.com/2012/08/sweet-and-spicy-carrot-fries.html
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The ones I make routinely are zucchini fries and green bean fries.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Parsnip - cut them thin to get them really crispy!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    alton brown just did a whole show about parsnips including parsnip fries.
    good eats- its the show about hiding veggies in your kids food, or yours lol
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i second green beans, even my kids loved them they taste awesome!
    along this same line of roasting , roasted chick peas are fantastic and easy
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I roast swede (rutabaga?) chips in the oven and they're really nice, filling and low cal and I use spray not oil.