What exactly is cutting when lifting?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I am doing stonglifts 5x5 and was curious what is "cutting"?

Replies

• pinkperfume
    Options
    I don't know what "cutting" is, but you look pretty good in your profile pic. Good job!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cutting basically means you are trying to lose only body fat while maintaining FFM (Fat free mass). Ideally you could keep building muscle while cutting fat, and that means the scale would stay the same, but your body fat % goes down..
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

It means eating at a deficit. Many weightlifting do cycles of bulking (eating at a surplus to build muscle), and cutting to lose any fat they may have gained while bulking, or had to begin with.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Cutting basically means you are trying to lose only body fat while maintaining FFM (Fat free mass). Ideally you could keep building muscle while cutting fat, and that means the scale would stay the same, but your body fat % goes down..

Ok so I have been lifting for a month. No change in weight on the scale but I for sure see changes in inches....so would I in a sense be cutting?

How can one cut effectively?
  • kopmom
    Options

It means eating at a deficit. Many weightlifting do cycles of bulking (eating at a surplus to build muscle), and cutting to lose any fat they may have gained while bulking, or had to begin with.

So do you have to bulk first then cut?
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Ok so I have been lifting for a month. No change in weight on the scale but I for sure see changes in inches....so would I in a sense be cutting?

How can one cut effectively?

You're losing body fat, which is good, are you keeping the same routine when you weigh yourself.

I like to cut (eat at deficit of 300-500 cals under my maintenance during summer months)
    and bulk during the winter months....

You can cut now, or bulk now...if you want to put on muscle mass you have to eat more, If you want to lose body fat you have to eat less.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There will come a point in a high volume program like SL when you will stall because it sounds like you are eating at a deficit right now. Your body will be unable to generate new muscle at the rate needed to support the ever-increasing weight on the bar. At that point you will probably need to decide to either ramp back off of SL and go towards something better-suited to your dietary intake, or go into a small bulk cycle. Most people who have gotten their aesthetics where they want them to be will cut until very lean, then bulk until they can't tolerate how soft they look, and commence to cutting back to what they prefer to look like. In order to get stronger, you will eventually need to be willing to gain weight, but it will ideally be LBM rather than fat (mostly).
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add. Just want to follow this thread.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump as I have been bulking and gaining what I feel is just fat. So time to cut!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

So do you have to bulk first then cut?

No. "Cutting" is just the word bodybuilders use for "dieting" except that extra care to maintain muscle is taken.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's just dieting - i.e. eating at a deficit
  • migueltavares
    Options
    Term that bodybuilders use to cut/lose weight to get lean and shredded while maintaning muscle.
  • dswift88
    dswift88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to answer this to the best of my ability.

The term cutting is a bodybuilding term derived from the idea of shedding the layers of body fat covering your muscles by means of cardio and eating at a calorie deficit to reveal a more defined (ie "cut") physique.

Cutting is usually the phase in a bodybuilders fitness routine following a bulking phase wherein large amounts of mass, both muscle and fat, are purposely gained in a short period of time. Usually the point of the bulking phase is to surpass your weight goal a bit (sometimes as much as 20 lbs) so that when you do finally get to the cutting phase the muscles you reveal will be larger than they otherwise would be. Some bodybuilders accomplish this by eating massive amounts of food and doing zero cardio. Hopefully you're doing weightlifting during the process to minimize fat gains but nevertheless some of the weight gain will be fat which means less muscle definition hence the need for a cutting phase.

Once you've reached your bulking weight goal, next comes the cutting phase. This is where you start trimming the fat that was gained to reveal all the new muscle you built during the bulking phase. This is achieved by simply eating a deficit of calories and doing cardio (and hopefully still lifting) just like one would normally do to lose weight until you eventually get down to your final goal weight.

The idea behind the bulking and cutting technique is that your body is usually really good at building muscle when you're gaining weight and really good at burning fat when you're losing weight but it can be very difficult to both build muscle and lose fat at the same time. By focusing on only one at a time your body is able to get better results in a shorter amount of time.

Now from what I can tell by your picture you already look like you're in great shape and seem to be at a healthy weight so I'm not sure that cutting is right for you. I don't know what your fitness goals are but bulking and cutting is usually only used by bodybuilders trying to build bigger muscles. I would say whatever you're doing right now seems to be working out for you so I don't see a need to change anything.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

The term cutting is a bodybuilding term derived from the idea of shedding the layers of body fat covering your muscles by means of cardio and eating at a calorie deficit to reveal a more defined (ie "cut") physique.

You don't need to do any cardio while cutting if you don't want to. It's all about diet and losing body fat.
  • dswift88
    dswift88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

You don't need to do any cardio while cutting if you don't want to. It's all about diet and losing body fat.

Of course you don't need to do cardio, but of all the things you could have nitpicked about in my post you chose to go with cardio? Sure you can starve yourself to lose weight but why not do cardio to help the process along? Your body will thank you if you do.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio is much more distasteful than ramping back intake for a lot of people. There's little difference between what you call "starving yourself" and doing a bunch of different aerobic activity to create the same deficit. Managing a caloric deficit is also more time-effective.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Of course you don't need to do cardio, but of all the things you could have nitpicked about in my post you chose to go with cardio? Sure you can starve yourself to lose weight but why not do cardio to help the process along? Your body will thank you if you do.

Wow.

All I can do is laugh at this.

Nitpicked? You think I am anti-cardio?

Just pointing out that you don't NEED it as you implied.

You think I STARVE myself eating a minimum of 1650 calories which is 300 above my BMR and I tend to actually consume closer to 2000?

I love it when people on the interwebz get all offended and then start assuming things about others. All I intended to do was answer the OP with the plain and simple fact that cutting involves a calorie deficit, and by definition, no cardio is needed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I did no cardio and I can assure you I did not starve myself. It's a personal preference.