Seriously someone out there must know the answer...

Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
I have a lot of tattoo work being alternated between two legs. Today I straight up had my blood sugar bottom out after two hours in the chair. My bestfriend was an EMT in the military and got me squared away quickly. My question is does getting tattooed burn calories? I mean how else could it effect my blood sugar? I ate before hand like I always do. Had coffee like I always do which actually helps blood sugar contrary to popular misconception. Any other tattoooed hypoglycemics out there that have experienced this?

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    I don't really think getting tattooed burns calories, but I know my bro has been diabetic since he was 7 (he's 30 now) and in stressful situations his blood sugar drops. Were you getting a particularly large piece done? Maybe your body was stressed. I know it's happened to my Hozie in the past.

One time he had just finished having lunch with his gf and had taken her home when he accidentally ran into her aunt's car. Her aunt was ranting and raving when I got there and he was scared. When we got home, 20 minutes after the fender bender, his sugar had dropped to the low 50s. I remember it like it was yesterday because his lips were pale and I was so pissed his chick didn't stick around and on top of it all his sugar dropped and he was sick.

I hope this helps in some way. It's the only thing I can think of and I've seen it happen.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    It's the adrenaline surge you get when doing something painful or exciting. People often faint of feel dizzy after/during getting a tattoo. Best to take a bottle of lucozade or something in with you (this is a recommendation from a body modifier friend of mine), and keep your blood sugar stable :)
  • Frost
    Thank you both for your responses! I was seriously feeling like a freak of nature! And yes, it is a large piece. A leg sleeve to be exact...lol. So that explains a lot.
  • amy1612
    You'll have to post pics when it's finished :). When I had the first bit of mine done I felt a little weak after,the next time I took a fizzy drink and felt much better :D. Best of luck, what are you having on your sleeve?
  • Frost
    Hey Amy,

First, thank you. I was starting to feel like a crazy person....lol...with the blood sugar thing.

The artist I go to does all custom work. It's hard to explain without the pictures but here goes. There's an Art Nouveu woman floating above a celtic stone in the ocean with a glowing ball of energy in her hands that has a scene of a gryphon wrapped around the moon. I'll post in progress pic's or check me out on Facebook: Jill Bloom Giles

What did you get done?
  • amy1612
    Oh that sounds lovely. I have a blue moon climbing rose on my abdomen,
    Ill put a pic on my profile soon,x
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Looking forward to see the pics .Jill have added you on FaceBook to see the pics ok ,Susan