Couch to 5K

Options
Picked up the app for my iphone and started my third week on this program. In fact my wife has been doing it along with me the last couple of times.

I can really recommend this well designed helper. It starts you off alternating jogging and walking and after each week gradually gets you running more and walking less. It's a 9 week program that you do three times a week. I hate running but I actually look forward to doing this because it is so goal oriented!

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I got to the 3rd week and then my knee blew out, ended up getting 30 cc of fluid drained off and was no absolute NO running, so that did it for me, I loved it though.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    What app is that? :-)

Wait...I'm lame...Its probably titled the same as your topic name! Whose so sill!
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started doing this too. Its going to take me awhile to even get through the first week. I can barely run for 45 seconds. But I can already see that its a better work out and will build endurance and burn more calories than walking does.

A friend gave me the instructions. In case anyone else is interested here is the program:

Week 1: Run 1 minute, Walk 2 minutes x 7 sets
    Week 2: Run 1 minute, Walk 1 minute x 10 sets
    Week 3: Run 2 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 7 sets
    Week 4: Run 3 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 5 sets
    Week 5: Run 4 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 4 sets
    Week 6: Run 5 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 3 sets + 2 minutes additional run
    Week 7: Run 6 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 3 sets
    Week 8: Run 8 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 2 sets + 2 minutes additional run
    Week 9: Run 10 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 2 sets
    Week 10: Run 10 minutes, Walk 1 minute x 2 sets

A couple of things I've learned, stretch afterwards but not before. Don't start off really fast or you'll burn out. Run at a comfortable pace.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I've tried this program before and never made it pass day 1 :blushing:
    I downloaded the app and will be doing day 3 today, and on day 2 I didn't think I was going to die and that was after an hour of circuit training :happy:
  • ifychudy
    ifychudy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    please can you explain how the program works. where do you do the run/jog. thanks
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm starting wk 7 tomorrow. I use to HATE jogging but look forward to each workout now. Good luck!
  • Jenks
    Options
    What app is that? :-)

Wait...I'm lame...Its probably titled the same as your topic name! Whose so sill!

haha....here's the app I use http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-couch-to-5k/id301233668?mt=8
    it's $2.99 but definitely worth it.

And for someone else who asked where you do it, you do it anywhere you can go to run/walk. 1st day I did it at the High School track, but I live in Florida and I think it's to hot for that. Yesturday I did it on the treadmill at the gym, and felt much better.

You don't really need the app, you could use a stop watch...but the app just works better for me.

Here's the plan for anyone that is interested:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml?cmp=2
  • arobles3231
    arobles3231 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    that's not the program I got online. I started week 5 and today I did day 2: warm up with 5 min brisk walk, 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog. That was off of the c25k website.
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    On week nine this week. I never thought I could run but couch25k is an amazing program. I was using a wheel chair in December if I had to walk too much so the difference it made in my life was tremendous.

I listened to the beginning of each week as I would end the previous week and would be terrified that next week I would have to run 5 minutes, or then 8 minutes, and finally 30 minutes. I was amazed after my first 30 minute run. I could do it.

My hints are run every otherday as suggested, otherwise I had knee pain. Remember it's not a race, set your pace and go for the distance, chewing gum to avoid dry throat, if you need to repeat weeks do it, it's the end results that matter.
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    The podcast is free on http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Just downloaded it! :-)
  • mcarpentier
    Options

I am using this on my Ipod - can't do the apps cause my Ipod is too old. Anyway this has been a huge help to me. I just started Week 3 Day 1 this morning. Never thought I would have run for 3 minutes - it's crazy that I actually look forward to this!! :smile:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it again. I seem to get into it for a few weeks, but then get bored with it. Lately, I'm back into it. :laugh:
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Does the app allow you to listen to music also? I'm planning to start C25K soon, but I like walking while listening to my iPod. I've been hesitant to d'load the podcasts because then I can't listen to my music while doing the walk/run for C25K.
  • Jenks
    Options
    Does the app allow you to listen to music also? I'm planning to start C25K soon, but I like walking while listening to my iPod. I've been hesitant to d'load the podcasts because then I can't listen to my music while doing the walk/run for C25K.

The link I posted a little earlier does allow you to play your music while the app runs. It will ding and tell you when to run and walk. Once you've completed your workout it lets you put info in as to how you did, how you felt, the weather and what type of terrain you worked out on. It will also update to your twitter of FB account if you want it to.
  • livingnlove
    Options
    bump so I can keep track of this for later
  • mikeman83
    mikeman83 Posts: 5
    Options
    Great to see a lot of folks enjoying this.

ifychuddy, the program is designed to have you work out 3 times a week. It is a progression driven method. You alternate joggin with walking. As you get further into the program it has you jogging more and running less. Good luck if you decide to try it.