Food that is "filling" for more than an hour

Options
I find that food that fills me up fast tends to leave me starving a couple of hours later. What are foods that you find "filling" long term?

Replies

• trudymog
    trudymog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is a GREAT question, I often have the same problem :( . I know that foods high in protein will keep the hunger away longer, but other than peanut butter I haven't really found any other good foods. Does anyone have useful ideas?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat and protein is very satiating. So are foods high in fiber.

So pretty much any kind of meat/fish will fit the bill. Eggs are good too (pure fat and protein), as are nuts and seeds (loaded with fat, with some protein and fiber). Beans are pretty good too, though they are high in carbs they have tons of fiber. So having something like chili with all the meat + beans makes for an extremely long lasting meal.

Just some random, exceptional examples. I pretty much just eat the things above in large quantities on a daily basis and I'm never hungry. I last 7-8 hours between meals no problem.
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Potatoes! I eat several small russets a day. Potatoes are apparently at the top of the "satiety index". It tends to be true for me!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Things high in protein, even more so if it's also high in fat, will keep you full much longer. Eggs are great for this.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Fast food may fill you up quickly but leave you wanting more in a couple of hours...Try the meat and produce sections of the grocery store if you want 4-5 hour energy...
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had a bowl of porridge this morning with some peanut butter in it and that filled me up for hours. Also, spaghetti really fills me up. I actually posted a thread about this about a week ago and most people told me to up my calorie goals from 1200 to 1800 and make sure to get more protein. So far I've been feeling hungry a lot less often. Good luck!

ETA: I upped my calories to 1800 and changed my macros to 40/30/30 but I'm still struggling with meeting the 30% protein one. It takes time to adjust.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would vote jacket potatoes. You also want foods that give you slow releasing energy, instead of highs then dips, such as bananas and other slow release carbs. The obvious fillers have been mentioned-meat and fish. I find pasta and rice quite filling too, but that tends to be high in carbs and calories.
    charlie
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Flatiron steak sandwich on French bread with Lebanese garlic sauce. Good for half the day, at least.
  • lindenanne
    Options
    I do the mini meals thing - so in between breakfast and lunch I eat veggies...take several bags with me to work - baby carrots, cucumber, celery....they keep me full until I have my lunch. For breakfast I'm eating Special K and skim milk....
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add Greek yogurt to the list. I've sometimes substituted a cup of plain greek yogurt, topped with some homemade applesauce, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, for a meat choice. This tends to last me at least 4-5 hours.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    One thing that I've found to help as a filler is adding a pinch of flaxseed meal to whatever you're eating.
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    Flatiron steak sandwich on French bread with Lebanese garlic sauce. Good for half the day, at least.

That sounds so yummy.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Meat, cheese, etc. does it for me. Loads of protein with some fat and few carbs.

(Not that I am a low carber, but honestly, protein & fat keep me fuller longer)
  • SpringChicken11
    Options
    I have found my home made banana smoothie keeps me going from lunch until tea time. 1 banana, 125ml milk (any milk, cows, soya, or Almond (my favourite), teaspoon of honey and blend. I quite often have this on it's own for lunch and it keeps me going until dinner time. Plus it gets 1 of your 5 a day in :)

A filling breakfast would be either a banana (if I'm not having banana smoothie for lunch) or porridge with chopped apples and a good shake of cinnamon mixed in keeps me full from 7/8am - lunch time (1pm) Adding a chopped apple means you don't need to use unnecessary empty calories on sugar to sweeten it. Blueberries or Strawberries are equally as good mixed into porridge too xxx
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Potatoes! I eat several small russets a day. Potatoes are apparently at the top of the "satiety index". It tends to be true for me!

Same for me, and yes, I saw that study where potatoes came out top for satiety. I find a baked potato with butter and baked beans keeps me full for around 5 hours.

Also peanut butter, cottage cheese and eggs.
    But high protein foods outside of that, do nothing for me really. I can eat 2 large chicken breasts and a pile of veggies and be hungry an hour later.
  • rockehill10
    rockehill10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    High protein smoothie does it for me. One serving whey protein, one cup non-fat milk, 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt, 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, 1/3 cup frozen strawberries, 1/3 frozen banana, one serving flaxseed meal, one tablespoon honey and I'm good to go for 3-4 hours.
  • SpringChicken11
    Options
    High protein smoothie does it for me. One serving whey protein, one cup non-fat milk, 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt, 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, 1/3 cup frozen strawberries, 1/3 frozen banana, one serving flaxseed meal, one tablespoon honey and I'm good to go for 3-4 hours.

Sounds delicious, I am going to try this. Thank-you. xx
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    High in protein and satisfying for me is Cottage Cheese and Fruit. It keeps me full for a long time.
    Also Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal in the morning. I work a very active job and it keeps me full for 3-4 hours.
  • oatmeal.
    sweet potatoes - bake/microwave and then eat it with a little margarine and cinnamon.
    baked potato with non fat greek yogurt and green onions
    brown rice and a fried egg with sriacha (hot sauce of the gods) and green onion
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes -- I'm really liking them lately; even with a pat of butter and a little splenda brown sugar they're low in calories for the satiety.
    I probably eat a combination of broiled chicken/brown rice/salsa/guacamole ten times a week, and that sticks with me.