Difference between the scenarios?

Options
Hey guys.

I have a question about maintaining weight. Let’s say we have to people who both eat at their TDEE. By that I mean they eat all of the calories that they burn during the day. The difference between the two is that one person exercise pretty actively and eats maintenance + exercise calories while the second person doesn’t exercise at all while eating way less due to only eating maintenance calories. By definition they’re both maintaining weight. Not losing fat or building muscle. But isn’t the person who is active going to be more athletic, more toned, have better stamina, look better naked etc.? I know that you can’t build muscle and burn fat at the same time for the most part but what happens when you work out and eat as much as you burn? Do you just stay the same?

Thanks in advance guys!!! Keep up the great work!!!

Replies

• Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    bump.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Thinking this is a loaded question, but yes I would say if both were eatting at TDEE the one who exercises would have more energy and be more toned. But both would not be gaining or losing weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The one that is doing all the exercise is going to be making changes to his or her body. If they are doing it right, they will slowly burn fat and slowly build muscle, keeping bodyweight roughly the same while becoming more lean.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The one who stays active won't be losing LBM and will continue to change his/her body through exercise, so s/he will look better naked.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    According to that Duke University study, inactivity is the cause of visceral fat.

I would expect someone eating maintenance* calories doing above-maintenance-level cardio and above-maintenance-level weight training would maintain CW; increase LBM, cardiovascular fitness level, and all those "good" "markers" things; and decrease BFM (potentially to a dangerous level) and those "bad" "markers" things.

I would expect someone eating maintenance* calories doing maintenance-level cardio and maintenance-level weight training would maintain LBM, BFM, CW, cardiovascular fitness level, and all those "markers" things.

I would expect someone eating maintenance* calories doing below-maintenance-level cardio and below-maintenance-level weight training would maintain CW; reduce LBM, cardiovascular fitness level and those "good" "markers" things; and increase BFM and those "bad" "markers" things.

* maintenance calories meaning consumption and expenditure are equal and adjusted for metabolism changes.

That's what I would expect, but I'm no expert.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys