Runners - how much water do you drink?

Options
I went out for a 9 miler yesterday and went through about 20 oz of water. I went into a local running store looking for a hydration belt and was told I should only need to hydrate every 4-4.5 miles. Am I drinking too much? I can not imagine runnng10-12 miles on a hot and humid day without my water. How much do other drink on a longer run?

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...fuel or water?

Because there's a difference.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Darn it. I went in for a hydration belt... Water.

I will fix that.
  • workout_junkee
    Options
    I obviously had food on the mind.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't drink anything, ever. Whether, 5, 10, or 12...none.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hot it is outside, how new you are to running, and obviously, you. I find that the more often I run, the less I need to hydrate. I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say about it though. I mean, so you drink more water than the next person, so what. Just make sure you get some energy drink too on longer very sweaty runs.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been taught that you should always bring water with you if you're out for longer than 45 (ish) minutes, but I grew up in VERY hot climates. I don't usually drink more than 8 oz on a run, most of the time only 2-4 oz.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I only run short distances(like 3-4 miles) but I generally hydrate well before hand and that holds me till I get back home.

I also run early morning, so it's not that hot or humid out yet.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    If I run less than 10 miles... Usually none

Greater than.. 10 miles. I'll hydrate about every 4 miles with about 3-4 oz
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I take 16-20 oz with me on a run longer than 12 miles....only drink it all if it is super hot or I end up running between 16-20 miles...you should only be taking sips ...but you should sip when you are thirsty...not scheduled...you need to learn how to gauge your thirst...if you are well hydrated before the run though you likely won't feel thirsty until 4 ish miles into the run....unless it is super hot then maybe earlier

Don't drink until you get sloshy belly...that just sucks
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Like everyone, we are different. Some runs I do are at 12 degrees, and others are nearly 100. Some are easy runs, and others are races. My point, there is no norm. On most days, I drink 10 cups of water a day. 80 oz. About 5 liters. I do this on days I don't run as well.

When I run, I NEVER bring water with me. I run 2 hours and don't need it. I hydrate well before a race; the day before. I drink 2-4 cups before it starts, and usually 4 when I am done. Today I ran almost 2 hours and was fine. I drink when I am thirsty. I will say I use very little sodium, and I also find the extra hydration makes my knees feel better. Some races have water stops and I may do a sip an rinse - but that's it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Darn it. I went in for a hydration belt... Water.

I will fix that.

Ah, okay then, *now* your question makes sense. =P

Unfortunately, I don't really know the answer to this question as my runs have never been long enough to have to deal with hydration. Based only on my own personal experience, runs of 6 miles or less do not require any hydration, but I have no idea if this is actually true or not.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I usually don't drink any for 10 miles or less. I found that anything over 10 miles I need GU an a few oz of water to get me through.

Need to add that I haven't done more than 7 miles training in heat. My long runs have come at 40 degrees or colder so this could be different in a hot/humid environment, but I haven't needed anything even in the heat when I do less than 7
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm apparently not enough of a runner for this conversation, but I'm also not coordinated enough to drink while running. I drink plenty the night before, a glass an hour before, and all of it afterwards. I think I had 14 8-ounce servings yesterday and it wasn't even a running day. Bloody whiskey hangover...
  • lauriand
    lauriand Posts: 24
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I am curious as to why you would not want to hydrate during a run?? Do you hydrate well after your run?
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Drink however much your body needs.

When I first started jogging, I needed to drink every 3 mins but it got easier the longer I did it for. Just drink as often as you need to, I sincerely doubt that the extra water is going to do any serious damage.
  • workout_junkee
    Options
    I obviously drink more than most. Sometimes I wonder if I drink just because it is in my hand. I can go about 6 miles without water unless it is really hot an humid. In that case I always carry water. I don't drink as much during a race. Nothing during a 5k. Just a few gulps at the water stops during a half.
  • janellereese
    janellereese Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't drink on training runs unless it's hot or I'm running more than 12 miles. I often try to run by a water fountain on summer runs. If it's in the 90's or hotter, I'll carry 20 ounces of water on a three mile run, just in case. Until you know your body and what it can handle, it's better to have the water and not need it than to need it and not have it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I am curious as to why you would not want to hydrate during a run?? Do you hydrate well after your run?

Because it's a total PITA to carry water on long cross-country trail runs. I don't carry anything except my key tied to my shoe. I won't carry water unless I'm going out for longer than 8 miles. I hydrate well the night before, the morning of, and then plenty after. I've been doing it for decades with no ill effects - except that one time it got to 80 degress and I ran 10 miles w/out water. TOTAL IDIOT move on my part. Nothing terrible happened, I just felt nauseated afterwards so I knew I'd screwed up. As for marathons and stuff like that, the water and Gatorade they provide along the course and at the end are plenty for me. :drinker:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Today at 55 degrees I went 14 mi with no food or water and only 2 cups of coffee beforehand.

In the summer though I might go through 40 or more oz of water during a run. Then I use a fuel belt.

Right now I usually drink 3 to 4 quarts of water during the day. During the summer I have drunk as much as 2 gallons.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

For me, I've seen people almost drown when drinking water while running. It's always tempting for me to drink the water if I run with it.

I'll avoid it if I can but if it's a long run, then I know I have to.