Last Day of C25K, FIRST 5K Race! Unexpected NSV!

Options
sandi117
sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
0E96A176-A67B-41F7-84CB-8AEFE5A8B2B0-16157-000015B4C358FA5C_zpsc2712544.jpg
Post-run, with my medal!

Today was my last day of C25K, and also my FIRST 5K race. I was just hoping to finish within 45 minutes. Obviously
I need to reevaluate my expectations of myself, because I finished 4th in women's and 5th overall! (My boyfriend finished 1st in men's and 3rd overall, his first race as well.) My time was 32 minutes, so averaging about a 10.5 minute mile... WITH walking! (There was a hill that I had to walk, I was starting to feel it in my shins... No bueno.) The last time I was even close to 10 minute mile was in middle school, close to 10 years ago. What?!

Next is a 5K in July (Run or Dye) and then who knows! I plan on doing a program to bridge to a 10k and see where that takes me.

I never ever thought I'd be a runner. I used to hate it with a passion. But my boyfriend loves running, and on my weight loss journey I needed some program to follow. I've lost close to 30lbs. and I can RUN! I can finish a race, maybe next time it's timed I may actually place! I nearly cried at the finish line - 3 months ago when I first started I would have still been walking the 5K at 30 minutes, let alone 45 minutes or an hour. I now know that anything I try hard enough for, I can achieve and surpass my goals. You can too!

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations!
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    awesome! congratulations!!
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!!!! Congratulations!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Great work - look at that smile!
  • althea22000
    althea22000 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow - great job on the 5K! I'm sure you'll do great on your next one and on the 10K program!!
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations! Good luck on the next!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Did you train on a treadmill or outside?
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You can do anything you put your mind to!

I ran my first 5k last year and my time was 31 mins, since then I have ran multiple races which included 2 sub-2 hr half marathons. Run baby run!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Nothing short of spectacular...well done!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    32 Minutes for your first you are amazing. Rock on Girl!! Fo for a 10K and then a half you can do it.:drinker:
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Did you train on a treadmill or outside?
    Treadmill mostly. I work and go to school during the day, so when I have time to workout out, it's beentoo dark/cold to run outside. For me, it's actually easier to run outside (except when there's hills), though most people say it's harder. During the summer I'm going to try to run outside more often since I won't be working late or be in class till 9pm...
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!!! Congrats, that smile tells it all!
  • littlemzkitty
    littlemzkitty Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I have a 5K coming up next week and I hope to be able to run the whole thing, but I'm hoping for a 38-40 min time. Your story gives me hope I will make it!!
  • RunningFancy
    Options
    great job! you're an inspiration--- just finished week 1 day 3 of the c25k program. keep running lady!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    OMG! Your an inspiration! I finished Week 4, Day 3 yesterday.
  • lexijonahaddison
    Options
    congrats!!!! i'm also doing the C25K program and I signed up for my 1st 5K in june!!!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're making me smile. Thank you and congratulations! And keep up your positive efforts!
  • kellyjkaylor
    Options
    I just started c25k with my sisters, we finished week 1 today, so excited to do our first 5k together...wtg!!
  • IamUnwritten928
    IamUnwritten928 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am also training to run a 5k and have the same feelings you had regarding running/etc.. You are an inspiration!
  • Mulikme
    Mulikme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Love to hear about success stories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!